Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

We're definitely playing a lot higher up the park, which explains why we struggle whenever Matic performs badly. The full-backs are pushing on much, much further this season, splitting the two centre backs who are also pushed much further up the pitch. And it doesn't help that Terry and Cahill are both reactive rather than proactive defenders.

Considering how high we once played under AVB, this is not high really. Still a medium block at most. Our FBs do push on but it's only Ivanovic who's really doing that. Mourinho would never allow two FBs to bomb forward and leave our 2 CBs stranded with just one DM in front of them.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hhahahah.. so now luiz would be our saviour. high line and stuff. has anyone seen psg play? did anyone see the 4-2 loss? or how they almost let it slip the next match on 2-2. i admit luiz is not solely to be blamed there, but motta is having a stinker. thus providing no cover and psg's defence has been owned multiple times by players and teams worse than bloody qphahah. i mean luiz dint get owned playing a high line with brazil when his midfielders left him for mincemeat, did he?

but i guess, the grass is always greener syndrome works here too.

Considering how high we once played under AVB, this is not high really. Still a medium block at most. Our FBs do push on but it's only Ivanovic who's really doing that. Mourinho would never allow two FBs to bomb forward and leave our 2 CBs stranded with just one DM in front of them.

Well something is obviously being lost in translation because Luis spends more time in the opposition half than he does in his own, though the sole reason we bought him is because we needed a more offensive left-back to compliment Dave, who is more conservative in his attacking.

Agreed, we're not playing as high as AVB had us playing, but that's because José isn't as tactically naive as he was. But we are playing further upfield, and we're doing so with two incredibly slow centre backs, an AWOL right-back in Ivanovic who thinks he's Gareth Bale out on the wing and a clearly knackered CDM in Matic who looks so tired he could nod off in the centre circle.

hhahahah.. so now luiz would be our saviour. high line and stuff. has anyone seen psg play? did anyone see the 4-2 loss? or how they almost let it slip the next match on 2-2. i admit luiz is not solely to be blamed there, but motta is having a stinker. thus providing no cover and psg's defence has been owned multiple times by players and teams worse than bloody qphahah. i mean luiz dint get owned playing a high line with brazil when his midfielders left him for mincemeat, did he?

but i guess, the grass is always greener syndrome works here too.

Again you're putting 1 and 1 together and coming out with 462. There is a distinct difference between saying Luiz would be more suited to the system we're playing and saying Luiz would be the defensive saviour of this squad. If anyone is arguing the latter then I can recommend a good psychologist who offers very competitive rates.

Garry Cahill is a good player to have on the bench and have come in for rotation or in case of injury.

That has been my opinion of him since day one of his Chelsea career and 3 years later it is still exactly the same.

Having watched Cahill's performances this season I take back most of the things I ever said about Luiz. Though who else, apart from José, could have known we were switching to a higher defensive line this season? If I'd have known that I'd have advocated Cahill's sale rather than Luiz's.

Selling Luiz was the right move and keeping cahill (No one has the power of hindsight) was the right decision given he had just came off a season in which he made the list of the EPL's best 11. Not even his biggest critics could have foreseen his drastic loss of form this season.

But I do however agree that he doesn't suit the highline system and Jose should be blamed for leaving us extremely thin at the back by not replacing Luiz with an established defender and not recognising Cahill's strenghts and weaknesses which would have revealed he's unsuited to the system he's tried to implement this season.

Garry Cahill is a good player to have on the bench and have come in for rotation or in case of injury.

That has been my opinion of him since day one of his Chelsea career and 3 years later it is still exactly the same.

Agree. It's why I can't fault Cahill, because this is who he's always been. It's the players around him that got better, not Cahill himself.

i don't know what happein to cahill .??? his first season play very good fantastic performance .this season is very bad . a lot of mistakse like the goal of sterling in craling cup .we must see zouma more .is very good player his young talent

Well something is obviously being lost in translation because Luis spends more time in the opposition half than he does in his own, though the sole reason we bought him is because we needed a more offensive left-back to compliment Dave, who is more conservative in his attacking.

Agreed, we're not playing as high as AVB had us playing, but that's because José isn't as tactically naive as he was. But we are playing further upfield, and we're doing so with two incredibly slow centre backs, an AWOL right-back in Ivanovic who thinks he's Gareth Bale out on the wing and a clearly knackered CDM in Matic who looks so tired he could nod off in the centre circle.

Luis hardly plays a lot but even when we lineup with him at LB and Ivanovic/Azpi at RB, one of them will always stay near the halfway line (attacking half or not) to make sure we don't get exposed down that side when the other FB goes forward. To say Azpi is conservative in attacking is slightly off considering he's playing at LB. His offensive attacking instincts are bound to be restricted and it would be the same thing if we have him at RB and Ivanovic at LB.

Selling Luiz was the right move and keeping cahill (No one has the power of hindsight) was the right decision given he had just came off a season in which he made the list of the EPL's best 11. Not even his biggest critics could have foreseen his drastic loss of form this season.

But I do however agree that he doesn't suit the highline system and Jose should be blamed for leaving us extremely thin at the back by not replacing Luiz with an established defender and not recognising Cahill's strenghts and weaknesses which would have revealed he's unsuited to the system he's tried to implement this season.

Maybe the Benatia rumours were true? And after that there was no one decent avaliable, and as much as I think Luiz's supposed error phrone game is widely exaggerated, the offer we got was far too good to turn down.

I think Mou will be looking for a proactive centre half, but is prepared to wait, which is what I like a lot about him, he could have returned and panicked about the CM and ST issue and panic brought someone who wasn't that much off an upgrade, but instead he waited and we ended up with Matic, Cesc and Costa instead of Capoue, Paulinho and Soldado.