Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

So let me see if I get it straight.

Liverpool is near winning anything in many years and they lose their best player. It happens to anyone, go ask Spurs.

But then they have tons of money to spend and strengthen their team. Instead of going for top players in the positions they need the most, they settle for dismantling a team that while decent ended 8th, 30 points behind the champion. What's the logic of that?

I agree Lovren is decent and actually will help them (replaced him on my fantasy team yesterday for Terry (made the funds to pay the difference), but none of their signings is what I call clinical. Suarez was irreplaceable, but he also covered a lot of their issues last season. They weren't a balanced team and they continue not to be. They had a lot of money to fix where they needed and I feel like they're wasting money around making a better version of Southampton from last season. A better version of Southampton (combined with the players the scousers already had) doesn't mean an improved Liverpool necessarily.

Without Suarez's goals AND ASSISTS (let's not forget he had 31 goals, but also 12 assists) they won't be able to keep outscoring what their defense concedes. Their midfielders are all attacked-minded (the good ones) and they keep pilling them up (as well as strikers it seems). I don't know, I wouldn't say they're pulling a Spurs (after all they didn't sign Paulinho), but I don't feel like they're coming stronger this season or even keeping the level. It seems they're off to fighting for a UCL spot again... maybe I'm wrong, but they seem to sign only decent players. No real talent that will make a huge difference in the squad.

I thought Borini signed for Sunderland for £14 million.

Nah, there are reports claiming Liverpool called the Remy deal off because they couldn't sell Borini to Sunderland. They're stuck with him, for now anyway.

They could play Markovic up top.

Markovic, a 19 year old attacking midfielder in his first season with the club, leading their strike force in Champions League and Premier League? That's a lot of responsibility

Markovic, a 19 year old attacking midfielder in his first season with the club, leading their strike force in Champions League and Premier League? That's a lot to hang your hat on.

Where did I imply he would 'lead' their strike force? He'd be a plan C if there's no Sturridge or Lambert.

Where did I imply he would 'lead' their strike force? He'd be a plan C if there's no Sturridge or Lambert.

I thought you were insinuating he would be plan B if Sturridge goes down. I don't think Markovic or Lambert are good enough for a side with top four aspirations and Champions League.

I thought you were insinuating he would be plan B if Sturridge goes down. I don't think Markovic or Lambert are good enough for a side with top four aspirations and Champions League.

I rate Lambert; he's getting on a little but he'd improve nearly every PL side imo. Maybe he'll be found wanting if Sturridge is unavailable for long periods but over a smaller timeframe I'm sure he'be solid. Markovic can be used as a wing forward iirc (maybe they think he'd be similar to Sanchez who they failed to sign) but he's an unknown quantity in these parts so there's some attached risk to that, undoubtedly. You're right though that if they plan on playing 2 at the front they'd need another signing.

So they buy 2 RB's within weeks of each other that are starting caliber? They already had Jenkinson who was adequate enough as a back up. Also, yet another young English player going for FAR more money than an equally talented foreign player would go for.

So they buy 2 RB's within weeks of each other that are starting caliber? They already had Jenkinson who was adequate enough as a back up. Also, yet another young English player going for FAR more money than an equally talented foreign player would go for.

well I think chambers is for the future. futhermore the season in England is long and tough. good transfers from them but he is overpriced

Transfer News @WindowInsiders 1m

Southampton's Morgan Schneiderlin & Jay Rodriguez are close to joining Tottenham (PA)