Man Utd 3-1 Chelsea

Fulham Broadway

I would play a 4-1-3-2 with these players:

Cech- picks itself really

Bosingwa- I know people say he will get caught on the counter attack but if AVB gives him a telling to before the game to stay back then he is probably our only defender who can keep up with Ashley Young or Nani.

Terry- picks itself

Alex- He was our best player against Man U at Old Trafford last season, making several important tackles and a great off the line clearance. I do not trust David Luiz not to do something stupid at the moment

Cole- Pacey enough to keep up with Young and Nani and offers us options when going forward

Mikel- I think he could win us the match if he plays well. In the middle of the pitch he can man mark Rooney and also help the full backs to close down Young and Nani quickly because they will be the supply to Rooney. Basically his job is to keep Rooney quiet as he has done with several top class players

Malouda- Like Alex, he played very well against Man U last season. Usually plays better without Torres on the pitch.

Ramires- Doing his box to box thing will be vital. Helping Mikel contain United's midfield would be his main job but also to offer something in the last third for us too. He should keep Anderson out the game without many problems

Meireles- Would offer some much-needed creativity which will be vital when we get our chances instead of Lampard being wasteful

Mata- I would put Mata just behind the main striker. This is because his quick feet would show Vidic up for the average defender that he really is. If that fails just a stepover would leave Ratboy Evans on the floor. Could appear on both wings as well to show up Sunday League Smalling too. Sturridge could do a similar job too.

Lukaku- Lets be honest he is a tank. Would flatten Evans into the turf (or Vidic). Could be like Drogba helping out the defence at corners too due to his physical presence.

Subs:

Lampard

Hilario

Sturridge

Ivanovic

Anelka

McEachran

Torres

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bosingwa- I know people say he will get caught on the counter attack but if AVB gives him a telling to before the game to stay back then he is probably our only defender who can keep up with Ashley Young or Nani.

Terry- picks itself

Alex- He was our best player against Man U at Old Trafford last season, making several important tackles and a great off the line clearance. I do not trust David Luiz not to do something stupid at the moment

Cole- Pacey enough to keep up with Young and Nani and offers us options when going forward

Mikel- I think he could win us the match if he plays well. In the middle of the pitch he can man mark Rooney and also help the full backs to close down Young and Nani quickly because they will be the supply to Rooney. Basically his job is to keep Rooney quiet as he has done with several top class players

Malouda- Like Alex, he played very well against Man U last season. Usually plays better without Torres on the pitch.

Ramires- Doing his box to box thing will be vital. Helping Mikel contain United's midfield would be his main job but also to offer something in the last third for us too. He should keep Anderson out the game without many problems

Meireles- Would offer some much-needed creativity which will be vital when we get our chances instead of Lampard being wasteful

Mata- I would put Mata just behind the main striker. This is because his quick feet would show Vidic up for the average defender that he really is. If that fails just a stepover would leave Ratboy Evans on the floor. Could appear on both wings as well to show up Sunday League Smalling too. Sturridge could do a similar job too.

Lukaku- Lets be honest he is a tank. Would flatten Evans into the turf (or Vidic). Could be like Drogba helping out the defence at corners too due to his physical presence.

Subs:

Lampard

Hilario

Sturridge

Ivanovic

Anelka

McEachran

Torres

Agree with you on Mikel, in my opinion he will be playing the most important role in the team, if he plays bad then I think we are fucked. I'm beginning to love this guy so much, he was brilliant against Laverkusen, he is getting so much better, hope he keeps it up.

It's the same red manc scum with just Ashley young and a worse goalkeeper. We have more changes than them so this "we have evolved and Chelsea are the same" is just shit. Smalling and Jones are hardly near the level of a fully fit in form Rio n Vidic. It's ONLY Young!

I don't fully agree, Jones is a fantastic player and I think so since the guy did make his debut for Blackburn against Drogba.

Although I wasn't convinced by Cleverley at Wigan (I was more when he was at Watford though), he is an evidence than Fergie did one more time manage to mix youth and experience with success. Anyway it's our turn, Sturridge, Bertrand and Mata can prove him he hasn't the monopoly anymore :D

We face for the first time for long, a real unknown about the starting XI. If we plan to play in counter attacks, playing a 3 midfield with Lampard, Meireles and Ramires who would allow to go forward quickly is a good option. Meireles and Ramires' incredible quality in the vertical play makes of them must-play in this approach. However, Lampard and Mikel are needed for their tactical science.

The plan to use the full backs' massive contribution requires then the presence of Mikel to cover the runs upfield. And we can notice a crucial point, a lot of people are wanking on Manure whereas there is no real reason to do so. They played 3 teams in a row who did start without DM ; we can list Kranjcar/Livermore then Coquelin/Rosicky/Ramsey and after that Reo-Coker/Davies. People may say that NRC is a DM but Coyle's main present issue is to find the best formula in his midfield, none did work for the time being (except Pratley/Reo Coker for the little time they did play together).

It did mainly allow Rooney to leave his position and have then all the liberty he wanted between the lines. So Mikel could be a massive drag for Rooney.

I did not watch Manure's hold-up at WBA, if someone did watch it, maybe he can enlighten me. MU's poor performance could have been due to the constrain provided by the 5-man midfield of the Baggies ? So then, playing Mikel would be required for the tactical aspect, the fact that he is a hub in the game and allows the transformation from poor passes to good distribution and also the Rooney factor.

I wish we did not kept Zhirkov because he would be the perfect player for that lineup because of his ability to follow the touchline and provide support. Anyway Mata could have the same role, it's just a matter of instructions (and he could prove that his versatility could be synonymous with rigor):

CECH

BOSINGWA - LUIZ - TERRY - COLE

MIKEL

RAMIRES - MEIRELES - LAMPARD - MATA

ANELKA

I would play Anelka upfront instead of Torres or Sturridge because Nico has the best ball protection of these 3 forwards, this could be the key like it was in 2010, Anelka was lower than the 2 wingers on the pitch because he did aspire the defenders and did let the way free for Cole and Malouda. And like Drogba did, I would play Sturridge as an impact player.

Playing counter attacking football with a modular consolidated 5-man midfield seems to me the best tactic to adopt

How about good old fashioned parking the bus?

Its what I was also thinking. Coupled with a 4-5-1 formation it might be our best chance of getting a result ...but I don't think too fans would like it, and I doubt AVB would go for that kind of tactic.

I was reading red cafe and one of them said that they have evolved and we are still the same as last season.

Arrogance at its best.

Sing when there winning planks 95% of them, their sense of entitlement and arrogance if just baffling.

Its a shame because the other 5% of United fans are pretty decent just ruined by the others.

Hmm, I think Stoke are a decent side & there is no reason to hold our heads down for a draw in their pitch. It is starting to look like Stoke will finish in the top half of the table. I know, it's a long season.

;)

I may get slated for this but the way Stoke are progressing they will be knocking on the top 6 door before long.

How about good old fashioned parking the bus?

hahaha. that made me laugh so much. Its like I've spent all this time trying to convince my self we can win, and this quote brought me all the way back to square 1.

Right then, a big game for us, one we definitely cannot afford to lose, no matter what AVB says in the press conference. Mancs have made a strong start to the season, but this match will prove their weaknesses and will really show what kind of tactician AVB really is. I don't think he will go for all out attack in this match and that he will be happy with snatching a point from this game. That being said, AVB will also try to exploit the weaknesses in United's back four (and there definitely are a lot of them, I assure you). The new boys Mata and Meireles will be in the starting line-up, but maybe Mikel will play instead of Meireles. Now that we have seen Mata and Torres link up seamlessly earlier this week, AVB will surely try to make them do the same this time around. All I can say is, watch out United!

So, what will your ideal starting XI be in this match? Which avenues will AVB explore in order to beat United on their own turf?

Terry- picks itself

Subs:

Lampard

Hilario

Sturridge

Ivanovic

Anelka

McEachran

Torres

:goodpost:

But I don't know if I would pick Alex, if he would his good match, he would deffinetly be in my starting elven, but I think Ivanović is more consistant...

227682_Chelsea.jpg

Right then, a big game for us, one we definitely cannot afford to lose, no matter what AVB says in the press conference. Mancs have made a strong start to the season, but this match will prove their weaknesses and will really show what kind of tactician AVB really is. I don't think he will go for all out attack in this match and that he will be happy with snatching a point from this game. That being said, AVB will also try to exploit the weaknesses in United's back four (and there definitely are a lot of them, I assure you). The new boys Mata and Meireles will be in the starting line-up, but maybe Mikel will play instead of Meireles. Now that we have seen Mata and Torres link up seamlessly earlier this week, AVB will surely try to make them do the same this time around. All I can say is, watch out United!

So, what will your ideal starting XI be in this match? Which avenues will AVB explore in order to beat United on their own turf?

We already have a thread for this. Same topic different words

Merged it. Use the search next time please :)

I would start Lukaku too, i think he would be able to stay right up top and he has pace to burn. I would have Mata in that little hole were i think Rooney will play for them. Then i would have Malouda on the left with Anelka on the right but Anelka having the option of making runs inside with Mata on the ball. I would focus Malouda and A.cole to double team Smallimg who i think is a weak link and to get balls into the box for the on rushing Ramires, Anelka and Lukaku !

I may get slated for this but the way Stoke are progressing they will be knocking on the top 6 door before long.

Not necessarly slated but maybe reasoned (it's my honest own opinion). Because it's completely off-topic I did put it in a Spoiler :P

Their improvement this summer is not really as obvious as a lot of people start to say because although they did recruit well on the paper, when we look closer ; Palacios comes to replace Whitehead who is too inconsistent, Jerome is almost the same profil than Kenwyne Jones and is his backup and Woodgate/Upson comes into 2nd bis or 3rd defenders behind Shawcross and Huth.

But Palacios has a really really poor attacking style, yes he is a good DM but when he has to go forward he is very poor (Mikel seems to be Lampard 2005 beside him :lol:). He would play beside Whelan who has a good passing and a decent distribution but struggles immediatley when he is under pressure. Whelan is able to give good diagonal balls by example but only when the first adverse player is at some distance of him.

Of course, prima facie, managing to pick three players from the huge Tottenham seems to be for Stoke a piece of evidence that they improve drastically. But Palacios is for me the least useless of their signings so far, because he comes to reforce the midfield and kick out Whitehead.

In fact, Woodgate was a massive unknown about his fitness, nothing new. He is lucky not being already injured :lol: He is at the best we would consider him, a 3rd choice. And it's the same with Upson who is very lucky, him, that there was a club interested after his last season where he was awful and not commited at all. He is a reforcement, because Abdou Faye, Sonko and Collins left this summer, nothing more.

Upson is one of the wretches that Pulis did carry at Stoke and I have to say he does pretty well with the likes of Etherington or Pennant.

When we look at Peter Crouch's signing, of course he is an full international player and carries an image and reputation. But he is a kind of support striker, a mobile player who did excel without the ball in order to free the space for another players. People may say that if he is so poor with the ball, he perfecly fits Stoke City.

But I have to say that the two last players used to play between the lines were Tuncay and Gudjohnsen and we know how they did success at Stoke... Yes they were not the first choice (it seems very clear that Tuncay was an opportunity offered to Pulis when he came for Huth) or the proper condition to play football ( Guddy... :().

And I really wonder what is the purpose to have a player freeing space for others when you play him with a Jerome/Jones style... Maybe in order to play Crouch and Jon "I miss one control and penalty over two" Walters. But in this plan, Stoke can't play direct football because Crouch is not accurate at all with his header deliveries. So it would become an even less productive football than when they play away without Delap !!

For me Pulis should have look more closer on the market for a creative player in the midfield, I know they are a few ans even less available but he should have enquired for Arteta or maybe Leicester's Andy King...

They have the rythm taken thanks to the European Cup, but their start of the season is not really convincing in terms of play: they did held a draw with us because they enjoyed the fact that the players were not at 100% fit and they did commit a huge number of fouls. Then they earn a draw at Norwich, yes they did manager to have more than 50% of possession but it was because of Hoolahan's absence and it's a goal in their last attempt of the game. After that, WBA's game was a complete hold-up because they were awful in the play... The win against Liverpool is massively allowed by the lack of realism of Liverpool in the last tier although they did domine the game, Stoke is not better than when they are 10 behind in their own half.

The form seems to mean they are really improving, the content is much less to their advantage. For me they are far from the first half of the Prem, these years are make or break for them, they can pass a step or continue to be the physical mid-table team. Now they are near to the second solution rather the first one. Not enough variety and realism in their play. And as it goes, more and more teams would manage to win at the Brittania

We can chat about it in the Englans thread if you want :)