Sunderland 1-2 Chelsea

BlueLion.

The problem with Mikel and his role is that in the three games already, we have seen that the back-line has been caught many times with the high-line defence, and he comes back and helps out as a third centre-back. If you replace him with someone more offensive, we could potentially see more scary moments in games, because we have to rely on the speed of the full-backs and/or centre-backs. Mikel has some speed, and does press players well IMO.He breaks down attacks, and sometimes starts attacks. Yes, in the last few games some of his passes may have been array, but his mindset has been dented with the kidnapping of his father!

Unless Ivan, Terry and the full-backs get used to the high line, then i think Mikel's defensive role will come in handy. If not, then we should ditch it. I have always wanted Mikel to be more offensive, but with Rambo and Frank, we don't need - or the mindset is - any more offensive midfeilders. If AVB decided with a 4-3-3, with a midfeild shape of two DMC's - one defensive and the other offensive - then that could unleash more danger (Ramires's speed is one factor at times). Miereles powerful shots could be a large factor, but, we would have to rely on Lampard playing behind the striker, which i don't think he can do anymore. If he played in the offensive midfeilder role (like he did in pre-season), he could be more harmful (he can still find a pass now and then) and play Mata/Miereles behind - but, Lampard has stated he doesn't want to play in that role again, another problem.

Good post

I noticed something about Mikel, it seems like if he was given new instructions by Villas Boas: he doesn't stop his runs when he arrives on the midfield line and he doesn't hesitate to make himself available higher on the pitch, I noticed that in pre-season and during the first 3 matchs.

In the absolute it's not bad because this player is really full of quality (contrary as that people would say or think) and he has a problem that face several modern players, we don't really know where they are the best. In front of the defence, he used to be excellent but when we see his ball protection we wonder if he could not make damages higher on the pitch.

Under King Carlo, he was absolutely capital in front of the defense when we played in 4-3-3... but when Carlo switched to 4-4-2, Mikel then was not any indisputable then. What implies that he has to enlarge his palette, he is tactically excellent so it won't be a problem to consider playing him to another roles.

Now, it's evident that he is not at his best, you mentioned what happened to his father, this apparent new instructions added to a lack of fitness (he does not feel/like very sharp). But he is actually our only defensive minded player (I mean Romeu is not yet ready) so he has to play tomorrow.

But now I don't think it's a good thing to allow Mikel a wider license than he had on the past right now, or midfield is under reconstruction. I don't know if the what Lampard does is a consequence of Mikel way of playing (taking into consideration the abduction, the new instructions and his fitness) or if it's the opposite ; but Lampard is wise and has already started to change a little his way of playing, he is lower his former position on the pitch because he hasn't the energy to make 20 runs in a single game to find himself in a shooting position. But in my opinion it's in part because he hasn't the permanent guaranty to have his sentinel Mikel behind him and he does not want to unbalance the midfield.

We have to include Meireles in that implementation (I don't mean it's a problem, I just want to say that because of Mikel and Lampard evolution, it's another parameter to take into consideration).

Right now, only Ramires seems to have find his better position, the central right midfielder who do percuss, punch and perforate the adverse first line.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

---------Torres--------

Mata---Meireles--Sturridge

-----Lampard-Ramires-----

Cole-Terry-Ivanovic-Bosingwa

-------------Cech--------------

I hope we try the 4-2-3-1 formation like we did against Kitchee.

We would be fucked on the counter attack :cry:

---------Torres--------

Mata---Meireles--Sturridge

-----Lampard-Ramires-----

Cole-Terry-Ivanovic-Bosingwa

-------------Cech--------------

I hope we try the 4-2-3-1 formation like we did against Kitchee.

i think you have the right idea on the formation just the personnel needs a little tweak...i dunno everyone saying mikel not the guy i say against sunderland we give romeu a shot he has impressed me in what i have seen of him in u21 play good on the ball as well as in the air

He won't, I don't think... normally our new signings come on from the bench when they start their debut

Well good. That means Mata has gotten that out of the way, he'll start this one.

Hmmm...maybe that's where it went wrong with Torres.

The problem with Mikel and his role is that in the three games already, we have seen that the back-line has been caught many times with the high-line defence, and he comes back and helps out as a third centre-back. If you replace him with someone more offensive, we could potentially see more scary moments in games, because we have to rely on the speed of the full-backs and/or centre-backs. Mikel has some speed, and does press players well IMO.He breaks down attacks, and sometimes starts attacks. Yes, in the last few games some of his passes may have been array, but his mindset has been dented with the kidnapping of his father!

Unless Ivan, Terry and the full-backs get used to the high line, then i think Mikel's defensive role will come in handy. If not, then we should ditch it. I have always wanted Mikel to be more offensive, but with Rambo and Frank, we don't need - or the mindset is - any more offensive midfeilders. If AVB decided with a 4-3-3, with a midfeild shape of two DMC's - one defensive and the other offensive - then that could unleash more danger (Ramires's speed is one factor at times). Miereles powerful shots could be a large factor, but, we would have to rely on Lampard playing behind the striker, which i don't think he can do anymore. If he played in the offensive midfeilder role (like he did in pre-season), he could be more harmful (he can still find a pass now and then) and play Mata/Miereles behind - but, Lampard has stated he doesn't want to play in that role again, another problem.

Wonderful post, a great summary of Mikel's importance to the team dynamic. Again, this is another case of Makelele - no-one truly appreciated him outside of Chelsea, and even our own fans doubted his quality at times!

Just imagine us not playing Mikel and having Luiz in the defence... sounds like a disaster waiting to strike.