Juan Mata

Severinb

Just now, Sideshow Luiz said:

I never realized that he split opinion.  I assumed that everyone knew he was class, on and off the pitch.

Well based on some United fans and the looks of this forum it would seem he is being looked back upon as good as opposed to being our best player at the time when he was here. He always delivered something in matches. Even after Eden and Oscar arrived, always did. Mourinho was the beginning of the end for him though.

7 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Well based on some United fans and the looks of this forum it would seem he is being looked back upon as good as opposed to being our best player at the time when he was here. He always delivered something in matches. Even after Eden and Oscar arrived, always did. Mourinho was the beginning of the end for him though.

This Mata-Mourinho relationship is something I'll never understand. Mourinho couldn't wait to bin him when he returned in 2013 and Mata himself left at the earliest opportunity. Now at United, Mourinho has used him more often - though not consistently - while Mata seems content with not starting games and happy to just come off the bench and make an impact. And speaking of Mata, it feels like he's lost the desire to win things and playing and making impact week in week out. Compare to what he did here, he now just feels content to let his career drift into nothingness. He's 30 years old this year, should have been at his peak over the last 2-3 years but as things stand, his career is just gonna drift away like any other average player. *sigh*

48 minutes ago, Jason said:

This Mata-Mourinho relationship is something I'll never understand. Mourinho couldn't wait to bin him when he returned in 2013 and Mata himself left at the earliest opportunity. Now at United, Mourinho has used him more often - though not consistently - while Mata seems content with not starting games and happy to just come off the bench and make an impact. And speaking of Mata, it feels like he's lost the desire to win things and playing and making impact week in week out. Compare to what he did here, he now just feels content to let his career drift into nothingness. He's 30 years old this year, should have been at his peak over the last 2-3 years but as things stand, his career is just gonna drift away like any other average player. *sigh*

Should have returned to Spain after Mou came to United...

48 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think you have basically answered your own question, Mata choose to leave us and choose to stay at United. I think the main aspect of his decision comes down to the fact there was serious demand for him while he was with us which wasn't really the case when Mou rocked up at United.

Just now, Tomo said:

I think you have basically answered your own question, Mata choose to leave us and choose to stay at United. I think the main aspect of his decision comes down to the fact there was serious demand for him while he was with us which wasn't really the case when Mou rocked up at United.

Should have known you would reply! :lol: 

The likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona might not want him but if he's in the market, I'm sure clubs like Inter or Milan or slightly lesser ones would want him and I don't think he has high wage demands anyway. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Perhaps but he never fit United traditionally as a player, same with Kagawa in a way. They played with out and out wingers and where as now they still have wingers but who are more inside forwards and are very narrow at times.

Regardless,  he needs to be in a more offensive team with midfield runners, that's when he's at his best, when he can come into that half spaces and find people running in behind. That's why I think if he was here with Pedro and Costa he'd of been a huge plus for us playing as a 10 because those 2 love to run in behind teams (although Mourinho preferred Oscar to Mata because he would hunt the ball down, sigh). Costa's movement especially would of been fantastic for Juan but we all know how it went. I would imagine Conte could of found use for him too in that wide 10 roles we used in a 343 too.

Even when he signed for United he was arguably better than any other attacking MF players they had but they shunted him on the right and his lack of pace affected his performances (traditionally youd expect a Ronaldo, Nani, Giggs, somebody who had real pace and energy in those positions) and Moyes tried to keep United playing in that style with wingers and crosses into the box that Ferguson's teams had become renowned for and been very successful with. Hence why he also signed Fellaini, a strong aeriel player who would be a handful in the box. Again I'm not fully convinced Moyes wanted Mata 100% like he did Fellaini but United were desperate after their summer failings too... it worked our alright for us though, he's not a bad player but unless playing as a 10 (where Rooney played mostly) he wasn't exactly a United player in that sense. Although he had some good games under van Gaal as a right winger or a false right winger as van Gaal called it 😂

There have been times where I've seen us play though and thought we could do with him for that final pass because Willian and Pedro can be very poor with that and force it. If Mata was around the box he'd conjure up something. Also for a more creative player he would chip in with 10 plus goals a season on top of the chances he created/assisted, he has managed it 5 times in his career in England. 

He has been unfortunate with his international career as well because Spain have got so many talented players across the board in those positions too. Same can be said for a lot of Spaniards though.

Edited by OneMoSalah

• 5 months later...

It was his bday too on that day iirc. 28yj April, shares it with my mum so I remember. Was one of my favourites.

I can understand how the emotions of the day would have got the better. The guy has shown to be nothing other than a real class act.

• 4 weeks later...
On 30/05/2019 at 4:24 AM, RoyalBlues said:

Ahem... *cough* no 10 shirt *cough* is now available again.. *cough*

Definitely going to be Pulisic's new number

might be available on a free. Probably a spent force but would not mind on a short term deal if there wasn' the transfer ban in place. If Lamps really became coach i am sure he could use him well given the undertanding they had as players.

4 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

might be available on a free. Probably a spent force but would not mind on a short term deal if there wasn' the transfer ban in place. If Lamps really became coach i am sure he could use him well given the undertanding they had as players.

even if he comes on a free, we cannot register him

never was my favourite, but I could see him playing a role due to injures, he isnt ancient, just turn 31 a little over a month ago, still has a couple part-time years left in him, or a starter at a lower club

he would be a great signing for Mourinho at Newcastle (if the rumours of that are true) or Brighton or Palace or SOTON