Juan Mata

Severinb

Yup understand your point of view too... I hate our over reliance on Mata and wish we had a credible alternative - hopefully the Summer will bring this :)

Look at Barca just now - Messi had a bad game (still injured in my view) - and the whole team was flag, because they rely on him so much - that's how I think we are with Mata..

Agree he should be able to cope, but we've had 3 games a week for pretty much most of this year - just being at games as a sub is tough as you have to be mentally prepared to come on and play - check out the sports science studies showing subs actually waste a lot of energy through 'nervous energy'... Obviously each individual is different - but it does have an effect.

Between now and the end of the season, I just cannot see where we can rest him - so he's stuck playing unless FSW decides on another rotation :)

Maybe we are over-relying on Mata this season but in 2-3 seasons time, think we will see less of that with the likes of Hazard, Oscar etc all improving and becoming an integral player in the team where we can also really rely on. We would then have many players that can win games for us, and not just one.

I wish somebody would make a video of his assists this season. Would be interesting to see how many are from open play and the quality of chances he creates.

I don't doubt he has an excellent final ball. To be fair to him he would have many more open play assists if we had Demba or any other striker for the first half of the season in place of Torres.

I wish somebody would make a video of his assists this season. Would be interesting to see how many are from open play and the quality of chances he creates.

I don't doubt he has an excellent final ball. To be fair to him he would have many more open play assists if we had Demba or any other striker for the first half of the season in place of Torres.

I would love to know how many assists he got except the corners and freekicks too.

I read a stat that silva has more key passes per game so maybe mata has the edge in assists from corners which isn't bad.

Random question. Has Mata ever feel pissed off before? Like get really angry/furious till the point he wants to pick up a fight? He just seem so nice even with the Toure's incident last season!

At the Olympic games he lost his shit for a few moments when Spain were getting fucked around by the offificials.

There are a few different numbers of Mata's number of assist this season that have appeared. The one I have have in my record is he has 28 assists in all competitions this season and here's the breakdown of those assists categorized by open play and set pieces (since you fellas are so desperate for it! :P):

Note: The list of assists will begin with matches from the Premier League, then League Cup, FA Cup, Champions League and lastly Europa League.

Open Play (18); He assisted:

Terry vs Fulham(A) = WON 3-0

Hazard vs West Ham(H) = WON 2-0

Hazard vs Stoke(A) = WON 4-0

Lampard vs Villa(H) = WON 8-0

Sturridge vs Spurs(A) = WON 4-2

Hazard vs Norwich(H) = WON 4-1

Ivanovic vs Norwich(H) = WON 4-1

Cole vs Stoke(H) = WON 1-0

Moses vs Leeds(A) = WON 5-1

Hazard vs Man United(A) = DREW 2-2

Ba vs Man United(H) = WON 1-0

Lampard vs Brentford(H) = WON 4-0

Ba vs Southampton(A) = WON 5-1

Ivanovic vs Southampton(A) = WON 5-1

Oscar vs Nordsjaelland(H) = WON 6-1

Moses vs Rubin Kazan(H) = WON 3-1

Torres vs Rubin Kazan(H) = WON 3-1

Torres vs Steaua Bucharest(H) = WON 3-1 (Some might have given this assist to Hazard instead for his backheel dummy but I don't think he touched the ball. Hence, Mata gets the assist for me)

Set Plays(10); He assisted:

Oscar vs Liverpool(A) = DREW 2-2

Lampard vs Reading(A) = DREW 2-2

Terry vs Liverpool(H) = DREW 1-1

Torres vs Arsenal(A) = WON 2-1

Cahill vs Man United(H) = WON 5-4

Cahill vs Wolves(H) = WON 6-0

Torres vs Wolves(H) = WON 6-0

Moses vs Shakhtar(H) = WON 3-2

Cahill vs Nordsjaelland(H) = WON 6-1

Terry vs Steaua Bucharest(H) = WON 3-1

*No assists from Mata in set plays in FA Cup*

:tophat:

Thanks. I bet he'd be on 40 assists for the season if our midfield play* was better and he had a better striker to work with for the first 5 months of the season.

*We don't get him the ball quickly enough when he finds those pockets of space. Same applies for Hazard too.