Juan Mata

Severinb

“I am happy every time Fernando [Torres] plays. He is a person who helped me a lot when I arrived and he is still helping me. He deserves to triumph," he told Marca.

“[Whether Torres goes to Euros] is not my decision, but from a selfish point of view I would take all the forwards possible. Obviously we can't, but there is a high level and we can choose [from some great players].”

The 23-year-old has admitted he is surprised by how quick he has adapted to the Premier League, scoring five goals in 24 appearances for the club.

“Even I have been surprised at how quickly I have adapted, but that is largely because I have been playing. When you get playing time it's easier.

“The saddest thing [at Chelsea] has been the defeats. What I experienced against Valencia was a double sensation, because I would have liked another team to have gone out.

“It seems as if teams like Chelsea are expected to pass the first round comfortably, but it's not that easy. Now we have Napoli, a difficult team but one I like a lot. Let's see what happens.

“[City and United] are two teams that are going really well in the Premier, but despite our ups and downs, we are still in Europe. We are even in the fight for the league, and I don't know what will happen. For now we have won our first game in 2012.

“Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard have taken the penalties. I'm sure I will take one between now and the end of the season.”

Mata singled out the pace of the game, refereeing and fixture congestion as the main differences he has noticed since making the switch from La Liga.

“Sometimes games get difficult and the play is less attractive, but in Spain that happened as well. I am pleased with my playing rhythm. You run more and the games are more end-to-end [than in Spain],” he explained.

“In the Premier League there is more respect for the referees. Their way of officiating is different. There are fouls that aren't given , but for me they are fouls.

“[Playing at Christmas] is a different feeling and it's strange, but playing football is never bad news for me. Also, my family came over and they got to see me playing.

“It was awful [playing on New Year's Eve], but because we lost that day.

“You notice a special atmosphere, especially on Boxing Day. There's a festive atmosphere and lots of children.

“It's a very old tradition; I don't know if it would work in Spain. In Spain the tradition is to rest for a few days.”

The availability of David Villa for Spain at next summer's European championships is in doubt after the Barcelona man picked up a serious injury and Mata also stated that he hopes the forward will recover to feature in Poland and Ukraine.

“I honestly think that because of how he [David Villa] is, he will be ready for the Euros. I have spoken to him and from the first week [after his operation] he has been almost running and is highly optimistic.”

Such a great guy.

• 2 weeks later...

We should stop playing him week in and week out. It will lead us nowhere. He does look worn out, and as a result his end products (notably his finishing) and his inspiration suffer from it.

The more it baffles me when AVB is saying that it's not a necessity to buy new players.. surely he knows that there is no adequate cover for him.

I am getting worried about him. It seems like since arriving and settling at Chelsea, being surrounded by a team devoid of any creativity whatsoever has meant that his creativity has started to drain out as well. He looked a bit like Malouda mark II today which could be because we have become over reliant on him and so he needs a rest or because he is being forced to do the work of 3 players to create anything and has started to copy his team mates more and more in just playing dull football.

It is vital that we keep him the player that he is because it is a monumental waste of a talent if he becomes another one of our useless wingers.

The more it baffles me when AVB is saying that it's not a necessity to buy new players.. surely he knows that there is no adequate cover for him.

Kalou :Goober:

(It's been a while since we had a Kalou joke around here, so I thought I'd go for it :P )

If that is the case then AVB will learn the hard way when we lose Mata to injury.

Nike have been doing some random quiz things on twitter, did one on Mata the other day. Giving clues, like who unlocks they play when nobody can etc. Just thought I'd post em:

nikefootball Nike Football

Props to @divegrass for being 1st to guess @juanmata10 & to @saikali11 @em13jay @Zain_FCB for coming in soon after. Well done! #NikeNextWave

17 Jan Favorite Retweet Reply

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

He’s calm, cunning and ruthless. Find out more about The Whizz Kid: gonike.me/6013RtCb pic.twitter.com/uYUpdciA

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

@

@10Ronaldo10 @Thi_Alcantara91 is The Chosen One. He was yesterday's #NikeNextWave player. Check him out: gonike.me/6013RtCR

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

The Whizz Kid is an Under-21 European champion and a Senior world champion... #NikeNextWave

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

@

@knabelism The Whizz Kid isn't Xherdan Shaqiri. And yeah, Iker Muniain wears #T90. Please keep trying. #NikeNextWave

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

When guessing, don't forget to use the #NikeNextWave hashtag. We have seen a few correct answers so far. Reveal coming soon!

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

@

@saikali11 What makes you think The Whizz Kid is Juan Mata? #NikeNextWave

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

@

@MohdAlAdam We're reading all of them, but you need to keep trying. You haven't guessed who The Whizz Kid is. #NikeNextWave

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

The Whizz Kid wears #Mercurial; he is not English, but he is European. #NikeNextWave

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

@divegrass Interesting guess Joshua. Maybe u could use the same logic to identify our other #NikeNextWave players gonike.me/6012RtAe

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

…A goal-scorer, creator, pass-master and team spearhead, this young wide-man is accomplished beyond his years. Who is he? #NikeNextWave

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

Neymar, Hazard, Gotze... some decent guesses so far, but we haven't seen the correct answer yet! #NikeNextWave

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

@

@pochyjogabonito Both are great players and both definitely wear #Mercurial, just like The Whizz Kid. More clues coming soon. #NikeNextWave

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

@

@Zain_FCB Neymar does wear #Mercurial, but this #NikeNextWave player likes to play more on the wing.

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

@

@Akef_ Hey Akef. Wilshere wears #CTR, look closely at the #NikeNextWave card. The Whizz Kid wears #Mercurial.

17 Jan

nikesoccer Nike Soccer

#NikeNextWave: The Whizz Kid casts spells on opposition defenses. He blazes them apart. Who is he? pic.twitter.com/oQuCWHFZ

17 Jan Favorite Retweet Reply

AjX25vYCMAACaTYpng-large.png

AjYOldDCIAEXmNnpng-large.png