Juan Mata

Severinb

Newcastle has probably been his best game this season. There were some tales he disappears in big games, but he's effectively proved that wrong with strong performances v. City & United.

He must be kept in the middle though, even if it means playing Malouda on the left. It's simply essential afaic

Newcastle has probably been his best game this season. There were some tales he disappears in big games, but he's effectively proved that wrong with strong performances v. City & United.

He must be kept in the middle though, even if it means playing Malouda on the left. It's simply essential afaic

------------ST-------

Kalou----Mata----Sturridge

That's what i would do after the ACON is over.

Not Kalou's biggest fan (not a fan at all even :P) but he's a much better option than Malouda.

------------ST-------

Kalou----Mata----Sturridge

That's what i would do after the ACON is over.

Not Kalou's biggest fan (not a fan at all even :P) but he's a much better option than Malouda.

I agree, i was thinking about the same. Kalou when he is in form he's a decent player and he's got some skills. And he surely can offer more than Malouda at the moment.

Yeah he needs to play in the middle. He's just not a wide player despite his brilliant crossing skills, his first touch and vision is so good that he could make a David Silva like impact if he was in the middle.

I was pretty surprised when Zonal Marking wrote a whole article on that and I am even more so now that regulars of the board think that's an issue.

I mean doesn't Mata already spend the vast majority of his game time playing in the middle? Sure it does make a difference on the paper (for those not going deeper than FIFA-tactics analysis) but since he is basically given a license to roam around the pitch, you see him more often in the middle than near the wide areas where you'd expect a winger to be.

If anything that very freedom that he enjoys has impaired our team in more than one way:

• We lack a man on the left more often than not, Cole has no-one to overlap.
  • Torres is frequently pushed to that space.
  • Mata does not defend as much as Malouda and the lack of tracking-back has made our left side more vulnerable.
  • Mata never pressed as much as AVB wanted which resulted in the failure of that style and high-line joke that we had to endure from every wanna-be tactician a few months ago.

When we have the ball (or rather when we did keep it in an attempt to play possession football) Mata was as much on the middle as any player who starts in a middle position.

The only difference I can see his starting position making is right after transitions as more central positioning will both make him available for more players and present his with more options. On the one hand such a situation should not occur too frequently (to be worth a tactical analysis) if we really are going for a different style of play and on the other hand certainly does not warrant the AVB slating I've seen in the name of starting Mata centrally.

Therefore, from where I'm standing it's not about getting Mata centrally to benefit Mata (like the bizarre notion that Mata is being wasted by AVB on the wing suggests), it's about getting him out of that wide position to make the life of the rest of his team-mates easier.

Really great article:

Juan Mata might be a marketing man’s dream were it not for the fact he has an eye on the marketing man’s job.

Mata has a strange fondness for marketing, he has an uncle in the business and is studying for two degrees at a university in Madrid as he plays for Chelsea.

This is not your typical £23.5million footballer with flashes of class in his armoury like the delicious volley he scored against Manchester United on Sunday.

His nimble mind seems as beautifully balanced as his body. He swats up on the life of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs and spends his free time back-packing around the Spanish countryside or Greek Islands.

His English is fluent less than a year after he arrived from Valencia and he has turned his life in London into an educational crusade, posting photographs of his favourite London landmarks on his social media pages he edits himself.

‘For me, this move was an important change in my life as a person as much as a player,’ says Mata, who is living near Chelsea with team-mate Oriol Romeu. ‘I thought it would be harder. It’s not too cold, not snowing,’ he grins. He is joking because he is dressed for the cold snap in his shorts and flip-flops.

‘It was an opportunity to know another city, another country, another culture and another language. I’m trying to know every part of London, to improve my English and enjoy the football. On my days off, I go to different parts of the city.

‘If you want to be anonymous you can go to Soho or Camden and it’s not a problem. There are a lot of Spanish people. If you go to Piccadilly or Oxford Circus you hear lots of Spanish voices but I’m not recognised much.

‘I like Hyde Park and Regent’s Park where you can take good pictures and I have found good tapas in the King’s Road, if you like the ham.’

Mata likes the ham. He is baffled as much by the idea that Jobs chose to eat ‘only fruit and vegetables’ as he is by the fact he wore no shoes. Mata is 23 and he has always had an independent spirit.

‘As a child, we would all go to a tiny village near Burgos and we’d have typical Spanish parties in the summer,’ he says. ‘There would be a band and grandparents dancing all night dressed up as American Indians and things like that.

‘I travel all year with football but it’s not the same. I have two friends with me at the moment, and in the summer, I travel with them, to different parts of Spain or Europe. We put backpacks on and go somewhere. The other week, we went to a couple of Greeks islands.

‘As a teenager, me and some friends won a radio competition to travel to Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Liechtenstein. I’d love to go to Asia, to Thailand and Japan. I like the beach too. I will need a week on the beach in the summer.’

Mata and his sister Paula were born in Burgos, the ancient capital of Castile in northern Spain, where their father played professional football. They were raised in Oviedo after Juan Snr’s career took him further north to Asturias.

‘He was an old-fashioned left winger,’ says Mata. ‘Not so much like me but like Vicente who played for Valencia, for example, or Ryan Giggs. He was fast, always dribbling, dribbling, dribbling. Too much dribbling.

‘I’ve only seen him play on the videos. We had videos at home and when I was a child I would watch them with him. When I was young, maybe five years old, I’d go training with him at Burgos. They were in the second division and I was just a kid but it was exciting to be in the dressing room with the players. This, I think, is the reason I’m a football player now, because of my father’s life.’

At 15, young Mata left home for the Real Madrid academy. He calls it the biggest decision of his life, leaving his family in Oviedo to take up residence with teenagers like Jose Callejon, Esteban Granero, Alvaro Negredo, Borja Valero, Javi Garcia, Ruben de la Red and Roberto Soldado.

Few would establish themselves at Real when Los Galacticos of Zinedine Zidane, Ronaldo, Luis Figo and David Beckham ruled. Mata moved to Valencia at 19 — a period he describes as his Masters in football — and to London four years later when Chelsea paid £23.5m.

He is anxious to be part of the capital’s sporting extravaganza later this year, defying convention that footballers will be simply too tired to compete in the Euro 2012 finals and then the Olympic football tournament.

‘It would be a long season but I am young,’ says Mata. ‘For me, it would be the perfect summer to play in the Euros and then the Olympics. My desire is to play in both.

‘It is something most players can only do once in their lives. Now it is our time. It would be the dream summer to win the Olympics and the Euros.’

For Mata, the World Cup is in the bag, and as part of Spain’s all-conquering squad he firmly believes the theory that success in age-limited competitions like the Olympic Games has accelerated success at the senior level.

‘Carlos Marchena told me when I was at Valencia that the Olympic Games and the Olympic Village is something you have to experience; full of young people from different sports, from the NBA and tennis and volleyball and handball players, all together.’

Marchena played in Sydney in 2000 when Spain, declining the allowance of three over-age players, sent an Under 23 squad. They lost in the final to Cameroon but Barcelona star Xavi looks back on his silver medal as the trigger which propelled his generation towards the top. England might take note.

‘This is our best moment as a footballing state,’ says Mata. ‘We are the champions of Europe and the world and now we can win the gold medal at the Olympics.’

Mata is bright, polite and studious and working towards two degrees — one in marketing and one in sports science — at Madrid’s Universidad Camilo Jose Cela.

‘It wasn’t easy to do from Valencia and now I’m in London and I talk to my tutor by email,’ says Mata. ‘I have an uncle who works in marketing in a bank and I’d like to be involved in sports marketing or promotions.’

First though, an attempt to eradicate inconsistencies which have cast them adrift in the title race. Yet, still, Mata believes Chelsea are in touch and takes comfort in the knowledge that the Barclays Premier League is more competitive than La Liga’s firmly established Barcelona-Real Madrid duopoly.

‘There are two teams in Spain with 90 or 100 points,’ says Mata. ‘The other teams have to be third or fourth. Here, maybe five or six teams can be winners. That makes the league more exciting.’

It also gives Chelsea and others a little hope to cling to. Well said Juan Mata, the marketing man’s dream.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2098984/Chelseas-Juan-Mata-exclusive-Two-degrees-backpacking.html?ITO=1490&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I was pretty surprised when Zonal Marking wrote a whole article on that and I am even more so now that regulars of the board think that's an issue.

I mean doesn't Mata already spend the vast majority of his game time playing in the middle? Sure it does make a difference on the paper (for those not going deeper than FIFA-tactics analysis) but since he is basically given a license to roam around the pitch, you see him more often in the middle than near the wide areas where you'd expect a winger to be.

If anything that very freedom that he enjoys has impaired our team in more than one way:

• We lack a man on the right more often than not, Cole has no-one to overlap.
  • Mata does not defend as much as Malouda and the lack of tracking-back has made our left side more vulnerable.
  • Mata never pressed as much as AVB wanted which resulted in the failure of that style and high-line joke that we had to endure from every wanna-be tactician a few months ago.

When we have the ball (or rather when we did keep it in an attempt to play possession football) Mata was as much on the middle as any player who starts in a middle position.

The only difference I can see his starting position making is right after transitions as more central positioning will both make him available for more players and present his with more options. On the one hand such a situation should not occur too frequently (to be worth a tactical analysis) if we really are going for a different style of play and on the other hand certainly does not warrant the AVB slating I've seen in the name of starting Mata centrally.

Therefore, from where I'm standing it's not about getting Mata centrally to benefit Mata (like the bizarre notion that Mata is being wasted by AVB on the wing suggests), it's about getting him out of that wide position to make the life of the rest of his team-mates easier.

:goodpost:

For me Mata should be moved to the middle because we need a true left winger. Atm, Mata is drifting to central midfield and Danny to central forward leaving our attacks very one-dimensionally narrow and easy to defend against.

He also needs to move to the middle because we need someone outwide who can defend against the oposition's RB.

• We lack a man on the left more often than not, Cole has no-one to overlap.

I concur with your points, but some of them are exactly why I make the suggestion of bringing in Malouda to keep Mata central. As you said, Mata's tracking back isn't what it could be, so therefore it makes sense to ease him of that responsibility which is where I think Malouda comes in use. It's no secret his attacking abilities are dire, but he gives Cole a great deal of support when we're defending he did it with Bosingwa v. United.

Like you said, again, it's the fact he drifts from that wing (when he's deployed there in a sense) into the middle which does create a type of problem on that wing. Now I wouldn't vouch for Malouda in an attacking sense, but in the case of using the three of Malouda - Mata - Sturridge means Mata can drift as much as he wants and we know someone will be covering that left-flank. It somewhat makes sense why André targeted Perreira in June.

ofaxzr.png

Stamford Bridge (09/02/12)

Term X: *proceeds*

(Reluctantly greets Raul & Hilario)

Hilario: "These two..?"

(Once confirmed, Hilario & Raul add signatures)

Term X: *tactfully nods in appreciation, 'If Juan Mata was the main course, Hilario was a cold side dish'*

(Customary body language)

Term X: "Great hair btw Raul.."

*forces generic small talk*

(A distant gaze, comparable to the 'eyeing up' of an unwanted Christmas present. Wondering whether it could be taken back, unfortunately scousers don’t 'do' receipts. A failed final hour bid for Luka Modric, a permanent reminder of what could have been.)

*proceeds towards Mata*

Term X: "Juan"

*states recipients name, as a greeting*

Mata: "Haha"

(Laughs at the emphasis put on the 'j')

Mata: *glides ink, to form a signature*

Term X: (Prepares to articulate query)

Term X: "Juan, during the 2-1 win over Manchester City at Stamford bridge. You whispered something into David Silva's ear, what did you say?

*onlookers marvel at the ingenious question*

Mata: "Ah.."

*eyes light up*

Mata: "...(Pauses)... Mind games." (Winks without winking)

*anticipates response*

Term X: In what sense?, What were you referring to specifically?"

(Pressing for details after a somewhat vague answer)

Mata: "It's a secret" (As if to say, a magician never reveals his secrets)

Mata: "Haha (Spontaneous laughter, momentarily in deep thought) it's a secret…"

*Mischievously exclaimed*

Term X: ".....Fair enough."

*respectfully accepts stance*

(Realising that his initial response was fruitful enough for interpretation.)

You sir, are an excellent writer, if I may say so. I really enjoyed reading that. :yes: