Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Thing is, I believe Lukaku will always be part of successful teams. So Chelsea better gives him a chance.

There is just something about him, besides his agility, pace, strong finishing ... he exerts so much positivism and dynamism both off and on the pitch. Very important player to make important for the whole group. Top lad in that sense indeed.

He has a lot of determination and will-power doesn't he? (something his little brother might well be lacking)

You raise many relevant points there . Perhaps the one that gives most pain is that he would blossom better away from the poisonous atmosphere of the

Bridge. Sadly I tend to agree with that and it might a;so be true for Courtois. KDB ,, Josh . Nat and the other 18 currently out on loan

In my honest opinion, I think that he should be loaned out again next season. I'll explain why.

Let's be honest here. Even if we take him back in the summer, we will still have to buy another striker. Yes we play with only one striker so two should suffice and blablabla... Romelu seems to be doing more than alright at West Bromwich. Although, realistically speaking, it will be a whole another melody to perform well at a club which is aiming the title. I am not saying that he won't ; I am just saying that it won't happen overnight and it will probably take him more than one year to impose himself as the n°1 and as a very good striker. And, on a second hand, we have Ba. Let's not be afraid of saying this : he is good but not very good. I mean, it's not the striker you'd have in your starting team if you were aiming for the summits of European football. Furthermore, if I am not mistaken, he has serious concerns with his knee(s) ; he cannot play more than once per week. In other words, that's not a striker on which you can count to drag you towards the top.

I strongly believe that having only Ba and Lukaku as strikers next year will be one more step toward the mediocrity...

So, after having said that, it appears clear — at least to my mind — that we need to buy another striker in the summer, regardless of the situation of Lukaku. But what kind of striker ? A stop-gap in order to make the transition between Ba and Lukaku ? Or a world-class striker who will be undoubtly our starter for the two/three next years ? I'd take the later, without the shadow of an hesitation. First off, we should rule out Ba for the mid-term / long-term. Considering his knee(s), it's the wisest thing to do — we have build in castles into the air for too long. No no no, we have to buy someone of Cavini caliber.

Therefore, Lukaku might find his way to the first team restraint. Which could stale his development. That's not what we want, for his own sake — and for ours too. Cavani (for the sake of the debate) would be de facto be the n°1 striker ; and Ba could have the benefit of the age over Romelu.

That's why I think he should be loaned out again next season. He should make slowly his way into West Bromwich starting eleven (granted he stays there) and then he will be apt to take a big part into Chelsea. It seems that even him wants to be loaned one more year. So if he feels that's the better for his development, why not grant him that ? On a long term perspective, that'll also be the best thing for Chelsea. It's better to let him blossom away from the poisonous atmosphere of this club.

At least, that's how I fashion the upcoming year.

I agree. Although I'd love to see Lukaku in a Blues shirt, it is perhaps too early (that is, if you want to compete for the chamionship) for him to "carry" the attack as a 20 year old.

It comes down to 2 scenarios: (1) give him one more year on loan at a more dominantly playing club to further develop, and thus buy another top striker for next season to replace goldy locks. (2) keep Lukaku as a second striker and buy a striker with ability who can immediately be called upon (ideally then, a striker in his thirties who does not mind sitting on the bench occasionely, who has experience and who is a killer). I wonder though, who this should be.

Romelu Lukaku has been blinding this year, absolutely blinding. I said at the time that he is fucking miles better than Ba. I may be wrong but, as far as I am aware, these season long loan deals can be reviewed in the January transfer window. If thats the case then doing 7M on Ba, when we could have got Romelu back is just rank bad business. Lukaku is better then both of our options, and by some distance.

Surely he'll be wearing a Chelsea shirt next season. The next manager will hopefully sort that issue out pronto and punt Torres. Ba will become a kind of Kezman figure, lasting barely a season before being flogged at a loss.

It's better to patient with him and a second loan year would be better in the long run. The team here needs to get quiet a few things sorted before they can move forward to be a legitimate contender for PL title. Coaching, midfield, playing system, defense all need to be sorted before Lukaku should move back to Chelsea. The last thing that needs to happen is rushing him back to Chelsea and having him falter because he hasn't developed into a consistent player and everyone is expecting 25+ PL goals from him.

He'd be better off returning to West Brom for another year and getting more time and starts.

He's doing well because he's being gradually brought along and he needs more time to develop. Tossing him in next year could work but you run the risk of ruining him because of the immense pressure of expectations of both him and Chelsea.

It's better to patient with him and a second loan year would be better in the long run. The team here needs to get quiet a few things sorted before they can move forward to be a legitimate contender for PL title. Coaching, midfield, playing system, defense all need to be sorted before Lukaku should move back to Chelsea. The last thing that needs to happen is rushing him back to Chelsea and having him falter because he hasn't developed into a consistent player and everyone is expecting 25+ PL goals from him. He'd be better off returning to West Brom for another year and getting more time and starts. He's doing well because he's being gradually brought along and he needs more time to develop. Tossing him in next year could work but you run the risk of ruining him because of the immense pressure of expectations of both him and Chelsea.

Exactly. Lukaku has generally played very well this year, but Chelsea right now do not play a system where strikers can succeed. We are a team that's set-up around our attacking midfielders which leads to the best chances falling to our midfielders. (This is not to excuse Torres, he's been awful, but our system also doesn't help strikers). WBA plays a system that works around setting up the striker. WBA's top three scorers are all strikers. Chelsea's top three scorers are all midfielders. I'd rather Chelsea bring in a new manager next year, get a system in place that fits the team and is working and then bring back Lukaku. I'm less worried about KDB because he is versatile enough to play in any system, but one always has to be concerned if a young striker has a tough spell that they may lose confidence. I wouldn't be against bringing Lukaku back, but I don't think it's a given no matter how well he does. (First things first, Torres needs to go.)

Understatement of the year from Gary Lineker: "He (Lukaku) is putting Torres in the shade at the moment".

I'd love to see him back at the Bridge next season, but I have a bad feeling that the club has infinite patience where Torres is concerned.

If we had the same kind of patience with Torres as we did for our managers then we wouldn't be in the position we are in today.

If we had the same kind of patience with Torres as we did for our managers then we wouldn't be in the position we are in today.

We don't know what the Abramovich and the board think of Torres, they may have lost faith just the same as us but what can they do in the middle of a season? Sacking a manager is a much simpler decision because he can be replaced at any time and the club don't have to worry about whether or not he can find another job after failing at Chelsea but getting rid of an expensive flop of a player is more difficult as he can only be sold during a transfer window and some other has to be interested in investing in the player. As much as me and a bunch of other guys said it in the summer that Torres is past it and going into the season with him as our main man was always going to end in tears, I still understand the club's decision because the money invested in him was so massive and if there was even a slightest of chance that Torres would 'be back to his best' with our new creative players behind him and him as the number one striker it was a risk they simply had to take. Now even they can't deny that Fernando is finished and no matter who we bring in to help him our other strikers Ba and Lukaku can still do the job better than him so paying this flop £175k a week isn't worth it. When even our fans boo him at our home games you know it has reached the point of no return.

Anyway, back to Lukaku. I'm so glad he can't play against us this weekend, WBA will be without their most influential striker and I doubt they will recall Odemwingie for that game either. Not too worried about Shane Long playing as their lone striker.

Lukaku should only return next season if the next manager sees that having only him and Ba as strikers is enough for the team (if we continue to play with a lone striker). Other wise he won't be getting any time here just like last season.

Lukaku making a great impression on Belgian tv right now. He seems to have matured so much over the last 12 months.

Do you speak dutch or did you just choose the wrong flag in the beginning B) ?

But anyways... it's true! A very open hearted interview! I will give a brief summary in the next post!