Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

I never said he missed a catch on a cross? He hesitates on coming out and goes back on his line sometimes, thats all, believe it or not its ok to have constructive criticism of players, God forbid.

from what I understand, deciding when to come is actually his best advantage over Petr

I never said he missed a catch on a cross? He hesitates on coming out and goes back on his line sometimes, thats all, believe it or not its ok to have constructive criticism of players, God forbid.

Constructive criticism is fine but that's very, very picky. I don't understand how you can criticise him over "hesitating" whether he should come out for a cross or not when what you're describing isn't even a bad thing to do. There's no "hesitation" in any of it, hesitating is when you're caught in no mans land and Courtois is practically never there. He either stays on his line or actually goes out and gets the cross, it's barely hesitating if he takes a step and then decides it's better to stay on his line.

I can tell you that this is what every single goalkeeping coach tells their players. They make them train this particular scenario again and again and again. More and more strikers are being thought not just 1v1 composure, but to also target the weakest part. In the 1990's, making yourself bigger was the best self defense when you're all alone against an oncoming forward. Sadly a training situation is much different than a real-life situation. 80% of goalkeepers choke, Thibaut showing such tremendous confidence at a young age is a very good sign. If I'm not wrong, it was a similar situation with Messi in the World Cup.

He is arrogant in the right way and its fucking brilliant.

The more I think about it, the more I believe I was wrong in saying it's a simple thing to do. I now believe it's very difficult and risky in it's own way .

courtois.jpg

This is the key moment because the shot can still go anywhere. As I said before his left foot covers the space between his legs and his left knee his lower left side, but only partially. And this is important because Nugent shot would have passed him into the net had Courtois not stuck his leg out just in time. Had he been the tiniest of fractions slower he would have been too late, and 'szczesny's technique' maybe would have been more succesful here. As you say it's a matter of talent, absolute confidence and most importantly hours of drilling on training to get the timing right (and some luck).

I hope I'm not overanalyzing things here as I'm far from a expert on keeping techniques (or football for that matter :P)

The more I think about it, the more I believe I was wrong in saying it's a simple thing to do. I now believe it's very difficult and risky in it's own way .

courtois.jpg

This is the key moment because the shot can still go anywhere. As I said before his left foot covers the space between his legs and his left knee his lower left side, but only partially. And this is important because Nugent shot would have passed him into the net had Courtois not stuck his leg out just in time. Had he been the tiniest of fractions slower he would have been too late, and 'szczesny's technique' maybe would have been more succesful here. As you say it's a matter of talent, absolute confidence and most importantly hours of drilling on training to get the timing right (and some luck).

I hope I'm not overanalyzing things here as I'm far from a expert on keeping techniques (or football for that matter :P)

He did the correct thing.

You're taught to do that from a very young age when you're a keeper, its the correct way to block 1v1 shots (other than smuggling the ball off the player)

In the local paper (I live in Bilzen, the town he grow up) there was a 1on1 copy of his hand, the hole paper was filled.

If I would get a slap of that I would not remember what my second name would be, a giant hand he has!

i Wonder what they showed on page 3 maybe that upset KDB

Class everywhere

tumblr_nat4a4pTU61tyh0voo4_250.giftumblr_nat4a4pTU61tyh0voo1_250.gif

tumblr_nat4a4pTU61tyh0voo5_250.giftumblr_nat4a4pTU61tyh0voo6_250.gif

tumblr_nat4a4pTU61tyh0voo2_250.giftumblr_nat4a4pTU61tyh0voo3_250.gif

That throw was brilliant. You can tell why he's a GK rather than an outfield player as he's really good with his hands (his parents were both professional volleyball players I think) but not so great with his kicks, although I'm sure that'll improve.