test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Special Juan

The Conte Thread

Started by Special Juan,

4,617 posts in this topic
3 hours ago, Henrique said:

Top clubs like United and PSG...what do you mean? So, if United and PSG want Player X, so we should also want Player X, even if United is a Europa League side, and PSG is embarrassing at top level?

Its also very easy to understand why I said your starting XI is not any better than the current one: all the players you mentioned are U23 players, and this is NOT what this squad needs at moment, introducing FOUR U23 players into the starting team, and we are actually talking about a team that produced 4 mediocre UCL performances in past 4 seasons and was eliminated twice in a row by a not so special PSG team. 

The team you just posted is more likely to emulate the UCL record of the past seasons than "grow into a true European elite for the next 5 years".

Just take a look at the biggest european clubs of past 5 years: Bayern, Barcelona and Real. They all have one thing in common: they went after (or kind of) estabilished stars in top european leagues (Bale, Modric, Suarez, Robben, Lewan, Vidal), in top NT sides (Neymar), or players who had a great performance in a top tournament (James Rodriguez). To other side, all the players you pointed are young players from mid tier european leagues. Perhaps they will be great additions, but definetely not the kind of players you want if you are thinking about getting into a UCL elite.

We need more Diego Costas and less Batshuayis.

I'm not disputing any of what you said. You obviously didn't read my initial post well enough because those are the players I said we should target first. If they aren't attainable we can go for young superstars. I mentioned players like Alexis, Aubameyang, Verratti, Bernardo Silva. I just didn't do an XI with them because they are players that won't be as easily attainable. It's way more unrealistic to think we can definitely get Alexis and Verratti in for certain. The XI wasn't the most important part of what I was trying to get at.

I mentioned United and PSG because they'll more than likely be in the same position as us next transfer window, possibly fighting for the same players.

If I put this XI instead:

Courtois
Azpi Luiz Christensen
Semedo Kante Verratti A.Sandro
Alexis Costa Hazard

Would you be happier? Yes. It's a lot more unrealistic though.

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

Completely agree bar on few things; 

1.) Christensen replacing Cahill is a no go. Cahill is decently tall, powerful, scores some goals and we need him to defend corners. We already have problems in air, which Christensen will only make worse. Christensen is brilliant young CB, but not physical enough for the prem. Certainly shouldnt be starter next year, unless we would play two tall CBs next to him. To me he is still just a different version to Stones. Great on the ball, but he has that feel of uncertainity, I prefer athletic defenders over this kind Christensen, Stones or even Thiago Silva for that matter.

2.) The players you talk are way too young. Its good we build for future, but we need balance. For that CM, I would definately pick experienced midfielder like Vidal, Nainggolan, Marchisio etc. Semedo is brilliant, however for LWB I would target either Alex Sandro or Guerreiro if the former cant be bought. RW, there are plenty of options. Sanchez (althrough Im not realy convinced by him) sounds most ideal as he can provide goals, workrate, experience and european/pl proven. 

3.) 4 top players are absolute stretch. First, I dont believe we can make successful transition by bringing 4 new players at same time. IMO 3 is the max. Also, its just hard to believe we would actualy get 4 top players in just 2 months because its harder than it seems. 

For me experienced midfielder is absolute priority. Getting someone in mould of Cesc/Matic or Vidal would give us more dynamic and control. Then we should target RWB for two reasons; Moses needs backup/competition and Semedo seems absolutely perfect for that. LWB only if before mentioned players are available, if not I would not pay big amounts on short fixes. 

RW is the same. If we get someone new, either Pedro or Willian will possibly have to depart, which is harder said than done since both are still quite important here. So we should only get RW if there will be someone of great quality.

On other hand we probably need to get AM anyway since we sold Oscar, and we lack depth. I would seriously consider giving Baker some role next year and send RLC out on loan.

Thanks for the post. 

1. That is a valid concern indeed, and is why we need someone like Zouma to step up. I don't think we'll sell Cahill either. The centre back group is the least of our worries though, it's something we can work with. There aren't many amazing CBs out there worth spending money on that significantly improves that group. I wanted Christensen to start because he's our most talented young centre back. He does need to work on his strength big time though. We bed him in slowly next season, rotating him with Zouma and Cahill.

2 & 3. I spoke about younger players because more senior players have been discussed to death. Just wanted to show that there is a lot of elite young talent available at the moment. Ideally, I would get maybe 2 young stars and 2 more established stars. So something like Sanchez, Verratti, Alex Sandro, Semedo would be amazing for example. It's unlikely however that our window can be so perfect when there are a lot of other clubs looking to spend this season, hence why, again, I decided to perhaps pick out some younger players who'd be easier attainable.

I feel like the squad is a lot more experienced than before. We have Fabregas, Luiz, Costa, Courtois, Hazard, Pedro, Cahill who are all experienced and established players. Baker is a good shout for squad depth, for sure.

15 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Only 4?

In what way is four major changes to the starting XI not a lot?

11Drogba likes this

28 minutes ago, Spike said:

In what way is four major changes to the starting XI not a lot?

It's necessary. United did it this season with Bailly, Mkhitaryan, Zlatan and Pogba. It's more than doable.

Mufassir08 likes this

3 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Thanks for the post. 

1. That is a valid concern indeed, and is why we need someone like Zouma to step up. I don't think we'll sell Cahill either. The centre back group is the least of our worries though, it's something we can work with. There aren't many amazing CBs out there worth spending money on that significantly improves that group. I wanted Christensen to start because he's our most talented young centre back. He does need to work on his strength big time though. We bed him in slowly next season, rotating him with Zouma and Cahill.

2 & 3. I spoke about younger players because more senior players have been discussed to death. Just wanted to show that there is a lot of elite young talent available at the moment. Ideally, I would get maybe 2 young stars and 2 more established stars. So something like Sanchez, Verratti, Alex Sandro, Semedo would be amazing for example. It's unlikely however that our window can be so perfect when there are a lot of other clubs looking to spend this season, hence why, again, I decided to perhaps pick out some younger players who'd be easier attainable.

I feel like the squad is a lot more experienced than before. We have Fabregas, Luiz, Costa, Courtois, Hazard, Pedro, Cahill who are all experienced and established players. Baker is a good shout for squad depth, for sure.

Do you see that Chelsea are mostly linked with centre-backs since Conte arrived? I just don't see Chelsea not signing established CB. We have 3 starting CBs with average age of 29 and then there's presumably Zouma, Ake and Christensen with average age of 21. That's big gap and with JT departing I see Chelsea going after experienced player. For me it's further down the line of list of priorities but trying to predict I see centre-back arriving ahead of any other position. I think that Ake will be sold though it can be Zouma depending on home-growns in the squad. 

Also it's so hard to predict and put up the summer transfer window when all of Courtois, Fabregas, Hazard and Diego Costa can leave. Or none. 

Sanchez, Mendy and Bakayoko would be an amazing summer.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Not exactly a great example...

Bailly is a solid buy, unfortunately for them he got injured, but  I felt he was probably going to end up as their best player. Zlatan is zlatan (something Mou would say), the other two are complete shit, well, Mkhi not so sure...

Bailly is a solid buy, unfortunately for them he got injured, but  I felt he was probably going to end up as their best player. Zlatan is zlatan (something Mou would say), the other two are complete shit, well, Mkhi not so sure...

He cost the same as a CL winner (Luiz). Wouldn't say he's a great buy regardless of it being his first season.

5 hours ago, Spike said:

Not exactly a great example...

That's a lazy answer man. All of these guys would potentially start for us. Mourinho is at fault big time for not getting the best out of his players.

We need to replace Matic and Moses next season. They are the weakest links in the team. Moses ruins too many of our attacks and Matic isn't a good counterpart to Kante, who is superior at everything Matic can do. 

14 hours ago, The Skipper said:

That's a lazy answer man. All of these guys would potentially start for us. Mourinho is at fault big time for not getting the best out of his players.

That's a pretty lazy answer as well. Potentially Costa could score fifty goals in the remaining games. No, the players are at fault for playing bad and Mourinho is at fault for exasperating the situation. 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

That's a pretty lazy answer as well. Potentially Costa could score fifty goals in the remaining games. No, the players are at fault for playing bad and Mourinho is at fault for exasperating the situation. 

Bailly would start, Pogba would start, Mkhitaryan and Zlatan would give Pedro and Costa a good run for their money. 

Mourinho has underachieved with his squad in the league, no doubt. 

2 hours ago, The Skipper said:

Bailly would start, Pogba would start, Mkhitaryan and Zlatan would give Pedro and Costa a good run for their money. 

Mourinho has underachieved with his squad in the league, no doubt. 

So is it potential or definite?