The Conte Thread

7 hours ago, Fernando said:

Out of those 3 I will stay with Matic. 

Alonso and Cahill are very limited. 

Hence my point that Conte has out perform. 

Get rid of Cahill for someone like van dyke, and Alonso get Bertrand back or someone like that. 

Replacing cahill will help but will not solve the crosses from that position. It is one of the problem playing this system. with only two cm and without any help from the striker, there is going to be overload on the wing. 

9 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

Tottenham's tactics

1.) Get the ball to Walker and Eriksen and create an overload with Alonso
2.) Force Cahill to come across to help
3.) Make sure David Luiz is busy with Kane
4.) Dele Alli makes a forward run to get on the end of crosses vs Azpi and Moses

We had no answer…

We have Cahill who was too slow to close down erikson, while walker was occupying Alonso, hazard can't come back to defend that space Cahill leaves as well as Willian/Pedro  on the right and combined with an easy person to beat in the air in Azpilicueta, this is a weakness. Mancity did it with DeBruyne and now tottenham with erikson. 

If we're not going to get into the market and improve on the quality of our wide players and central midfielders, we have to play 3-5-2 against the big teams from now on. The third midfielder will cover that space where Cahill doesn't like closing down the diagonal crosser and hazard doesn't cover that space effectively.

Thankfully tottenham scored us from two similar goals so Conte should spot that obvious weakness before our big games against liverpool and Arsenal. Giroud will eat Azpi alive if ozil is allowed to put early diagonal crosses from the Alonso-cahill-matic triangle.  

You are right. I'm not that worried about Liverpool exploiting this hole because they have no huge target men, they will be playing to their strengths not to our weaknesses. But you can bet everything that Giroud will be a massive headache if we persist with Moses and Azpi on that side, Wenger must be rubbing his hands together gleefully after that Spurs game. That guy is a monster in the air and on his day nearly unstoppable even by hardened defenders. I would like us to try Azpi RWB and Zouma RCB some time to test this combination out, because there will be games where we will need sheer mass in the box.

5 minutes ago, manpe said:

You are right. I'm not that worried about Liverpool exploiting this hole because they have no huge target men, they will be playing to their strengths not to our weaknesses. But you can bet everything that Giroud will be a massive headache if we persist with Moses and Azpi on that side, Wenger must be rubbing his hands together gleefully after that Spurs game. That guy is a monster in the air and on his day nearly unstoppable even by hardened defenders. I would like us to try Azpi RWB and Zouma RCB some time to test this combination out, because there will be games where we will need sheer mass in the box.

Your CB need to be good on the ball in 3 man defence and Im not sure about Zouma.

31 minutes ago, communicate said:

Your CB need to be good on the ball in 3 man defence and Im not sure about Zouma.

Yes for sure they need to be, but sometimes it is not enough as we saw against Spurs and we don't have the luxury to pick a strong ball-playing CB. Zouma can play simple passes well, he doesn't need to be Bonucci to be useful. But it all depends on what kind of shape he's in.

Chelsea tell panel 'culture of the club' has changed under Antonio Conte

Chelsea told a disciplinary committee that "the culture of the club'' had changed under Antonio Conte before being fined £100,000 for their part in the fracas at the end of last month's win at Manchester City.

The Premier League leaders, who won 3-1 at the Etihad Stadium, received a greater punishment than City, who were fined £35,000, despite an independent regulatory commission finding the parties to be "equally culpable.''

The written reasons for the sanctions, published by the Football Association on Thursday, showed that both clubs admitted breaching the misconduct rule which governs controlling players and staff.

Six prior offences dating back to 2011 -- and five since February 2015 -- were considered before Chelsea's sanction was determined.

Mr Jim Sturman QC, representing Chelsea, "accepted that the club would be punished more severally based on their previous record,'' the written reasons said.

"This could not be disputed but he submitted that the culture of the club had changed under the new manager,'' the written reasons added.

http://www.espnfc.com/english-premier-league/story/3032742/chelsea-tell-panel-culture-of-the-club-has-changed-under-conte

14 hours ago, BoyBlue96 said:

Alonso-Cahill-Matic is our weak "Pyramid" I believe.

I think youre dead right. Plus with Eden also on that side it makes the left side of the pitch open for attack.

Maybe trying Dave as LWB would help alot and upgrate both Cahill and Daves CB spot.

Antonio Conte reveals Chelsea's January transfer plans: I have some ideas

ANTONIO CONTE has some ideas of players he wants to bring to Stamford Bridge this month.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/575981/Antonio-Conte-Chelsea-January-transfer-plans-gossip-rumours-Costa-Premier-League-news

Crosses being swung in from our left towards Azpi and Moses have been like kryptonite for our new formation ever since we began playing with it...

In the game against Man Utd at the bridge, you could see how Zlatan was targeting Azpi and leaping over him to win headers (which he didn't convert in the end). Azpi tries his best to give the attacker as much of a challenge, but there's only so much he can do against players with real leaping ability 

The left hand side of our defense has to be more proactive in cutting out crosses coming from that side. They should be scrutinizing this a lot given how similar the 2 goals that Spurs scored were. 

5 hours ago, lucio said:

this is true, the left side can't stop the crosses, right side can't deal with them. Zouma is needed at rcb

Zouma hasn't got the ability on the ball to replace Azpi. Azpi makes a huge number of passes a game.

11 hours ago, kiwi1691 said:

Zouma hasn't got the ability on the ball to replace Azpi. Azpi makes a huge number of passes a game.

Azpi can go left , and zouma played in midfield , hes better than peoplethink

1 hour ago, lucio said:

Azpi can go left , and zouma played in midfield , hes better than peoplethink

He had Fellaini in his pocket the whole game.

I'm praying to the football gods he blows everyone away today. And Batman!

On 1/6/2017 at 4:53 PM, manpe said:

Yes for sure they need to be, but sometimes it is not enough as we saw against Spurs and we don't have the luxury to pick a strong ball-playing CB. Zouma can play simple passes well, he doesn't need to be Bonucci to be useful. But it all depends on what kind of shape he's in.

3 man defence require one of your side cb to be the starting point of your attack. It is not about being a Bonucci but he has to be comfortable bringing the ball up and make forward pass.  I am not sure zouma is ready. 

Anyone seen this? Apparently Conte and the team (or at least some players) stayed on the pitch to do drills after the game. Talk about commitment!

Like someone else says in that thread: it's a "warming down". Most teams do that.

But it's still good to see for us fans that we have a manager as committed as Conte is at the moment.

13 hours ago, kiwi1691 said:

Zouma was not played in midfield for his passing.

I have no idea why Zouma's passing is so defended by some people - he is awful at ball, clumsy, his first touch is terrible. There is no way he will be first team player now for Conte's tactics.

Matic does that almost every game -he is awful at ball, clumsy, his first touch is terrible- but he still get so many appearance under conte

And ffs he is midfielder, which is cost or holding back the team a lot more compare than defender who poor in first touch and ball control. 

I think, as long as zouma not getting constant high pressing from opponent, he still fine or atleast still usefull player

Sometimes i really wondering why matic still playing ahead player like chalobah who still can be useful when play as midfielder, meanwhile chalobah is have a lot better pace, technique, and growing some maturity on this game. But conte still using matic who isnt only have poor technique, clumsy, and sometimes look super awkward on the ball. But he also slow and not really able to intercept the ball or even win aerial duel on the midfield.