The Mourinho Thread

Could see a repeat of 3-1 PSG win, I just know we are gonna do this against them in the 1st leg. So sick of him not wanting to change his ideology of away play safe, home play good

Luckily it's not Real Madrid. Could have been bloody. Hazard and Cesc defending for their lives for 90 against Bale and Kroos. Ronaldo bumming us and scoring a hattrick. What's most frustrating is that we're a much better side than this. Mourinho is just so much of a coward and to scared to lose.

im embarrassed watching those tactics. it wasnt defend deep and counter. it was play like dogshit and sneak a penalty. made a midtable rabble look like juventus. this team is 7th, we should be able to go out there and teach them a lesson. basel managed to outplay them at anfield, in a much more important game than that. there was really no sense behind that performance, lucky not to be well beaten

In the former however, he's a one trick pony. That's what many people don't get and that's why I feel this group of players don't match his management style at all. Mourinho just doesn't know how to set up his sides to play decent, possession based football. We just press and hope for the best. When the press doesn't work, we retreat to our shell and play "counter-attacking" football. Except it isn't actually that, it's the football of cowards. And when defend and hope for the best doesn't work, we invariably lose or if we're lucky, draw. The only time we come out to play and express ourselves on the pitch is against mediocre sides and even that is once in a blue moon. That's the pattern I've seen in his second spell here, especially in the so-called "bigger" games and it worries me greatly. I hoped and prayed that Mourinho would have become more sophisticated with his tactical approach 2nd time around but it's the same shit over again. It's the worst football of any Chelsea manager I've ever seen in my life with the players at his disposal, both on the pitch and on the bench.

Agreed. It is not coincidental that Mourinho regularly loses SFs - matches where he uses his flawed defensive methods. He either sets his team up to defend deep with no attacking output (Liverpool away last year) or to defend by pressing high and leaving huge gaps in the midfield (Liverpool in the PL this season) or both (today's game).

I believe this is the least result Jose expecting. I mean his line up are all designed to get at least this draw at worst, although of course winning is his aim. He is result oriented though.

If we play 4231 attacking mode, I believe today result would be 3-5 like Spurs match.

In the former however, he's a one trick pony. That's what many people don't get and that's why I feel this group of players don't match his management style at all. Mourinho just doesn't know how to set up his sides to play decent, possession based football. We just press and hope for the best. When the press doesn't work, we retreat to our shell and play "counter-attacking" football. Except it isn't actually that, it's the football of cowards. And when defend and hope for the best doesn't work, we invariably lose or if we're lucky, draw. The only time we come out to play and express ourselves on the pitch is against mediocre sides and even that is once in a blue moon. That's the pattern I've seen in his second spell here, especially in the so-called "bigger" games and it worries me greatly. I hoped and prayed that Mourinho would have become more sophisticated with his tactical approach 2nd time around but it's the same shit over again. It's the worst football of any Chelsea manager I've ever seen in my life with the players at his disposal, both on the pitch and on the bench.

We might win the league, but we won't win the Champions league. Once we face a Barca or a Real especially, we'll get killed. We don't have the same defensive minded team that we had a few years ago and I can't imagine Cahill and a 34 year old Terry being able to defend for 180 mins vs the best attacking players in the world.

The good thing is it works against most of the rubbish in the Premier League so we should win the league.

The bad thing is we have to suffer games like tonight. Now people will say tough away game, first leg, decent result etc etc but let's be serious, we made a very average Liverpool team look 10x better than they are.

Let me just type my piece. I know some posters will accuse me of being anti-Mourinho but then again, I could care less. The way we're playing against Liverpool is all Mourinho. It's not Iva or Cahill. The unforced errors and misplaced passes is as a result of the negative tactics. Same thing at City. Even Cesc was misplacing them too. Even if we lost this game, say 2-1 and at least came out to play FOOTBALL, I won't be typing this now.

First and foremost, what some seem NOT to realize is that Mourinho is the one responsible for setting this team up offensively and defensively. In the latter, he's great, phenomenal even. His ability to organize a defense was almost revolutionary in English football in his first spell here. Let's remember in his first season here, we only conceded 15 goals in the league. First and foremost above anything else, he's a defensive minded manager. There's nothing wrong with that, but it seems a contradiction to the current group of players at his disposal.

We might win the league, but we won't win the Champions league. Once we face a Barca or a Real especially, we'll get killed. We don't have the same defensive minded team that we had a few years ago and I can't imagine Cahill and a 34 year old Terry being able to defend for 180 mins vs the best attacking players in the world.

Next year is ours.

His pragmatism will always be his biggest flaw as a manager . You can't always depend on mistakes and turnovers to win a match. He has a bunch of talented kids at his disposal, so why doesn't he play to their strengths? From top to bottom Chelsea is a better team than Liverpool, so why are we allowing them to dictate the play like we're some mid table side?

It's one of the main problems he had during his time at Madrid. During the CL semis against Bayern, a Madrid team that consisted of the Likes of Ozil, Ronaldo Di-Maria etc....sat back and let Bayern do whatever the hell they wanted. Sure they scored 2 goals on the break but they rode their luck for the majority of the game. Nothing wrong with being reactive but when you've got such a talented squad, you're expected to bring the game to inferior opposition.

Just look at how Ancelotti has that same Madrid side is playing decent attractive football. They managed to keep liverpool to few shots without going ultra-defense.

His pragmatism will always be his biggest flaw as a manager . You can't always depend on mistakes and turnovers to win a match. He has a bunch of talented kids at his disposal, so why doesn't he play to their strengths? From top to bottom Chelsea is a better team than Liverpool, so why are we allowing them to dictate the play like we're some mid table side?

It's one of the main problems he had during his time at Madrid. During the CL semis against Bayern, a Madrid team that consisted of the Likes of Ozil, Ronaldo Di-Maria etc....sat back and let Bayern do whatever the hell they wanted. Sure they scored 2 goals on the break but they rode their luck for the majority of the game. Nothing wrong with being reactive but when you've got such a talented squad, you're expected to bring the game to the opposition.

Thats why I consider Guardiola as the current leading manager in the world, Mourinho is a tactical genius that will win us titles, a lot, and we love him for that, but the manner will definetly be questionable, and he doesnt give a single fuck about the manner, so we dealt with it in the past ( Benitez saga ) and we'll also be patient with him now, he still is a blessing for us, we shouldnt forget that.