Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

Lukaku is what he is....

When people were calling him to lead the line last season, I was wondering whether anyone actually watched him play or just watch MOTD highlights. Lukaku is strong with good height, yet plays like a finesse player and does not know how to use his body effectively. Lukaku is a perfect supersub, not someone to lead the line for Chelsea...

It does seem ridiculous to just label him a 'finisher', i don't disagree with it but just look at him ffs, how can someone like him be so poor as a target man? honestly i don't see him ever being a 'complete' striker, at his age you cannot improve that much technically.

(Sorry for my english) We must be patient with him. We already know he's young but hope he can progress like adebayor because when he played for monaco he was so bad and had terrible first touch but he progress a lot with arsenal.

Lukaku has a goalscorer's sense and great physical skills and shows good touch when he has space.

Lukaku can work for Chelsea but only in either a two forward set up or as an inside winger/forward.

Space is luxury in modern football these days m8.

In order to gain space, you have to create it by yourself.

Even netherlands with their attacking football they put 2-3 defenders with discipline guarding their own area.

Only tiki-taka will give you a lot of space.

Suarez, benzema, even torres go into deep position to pick up the ball.

And did he know that his touch is miserable? If i'm his coach i'll definitely tell him to stop train his finishing and focus on his touch (by feet or his head)

Lukaku has fallen into the youth trap

It may seem like he’s not trying (he certainly doesn’t move far), but he really is trying to impress Chelsea. The problem is young players try to do things that aren’t necessarily the things that impress managers. Lukaku has a problem whereby he doesn’t appreciate things that don’t bring him goals. Could be something as simple as defending a post on a corner kick or making dummy runs, etc. There are loads of things that go on in a match that don’t lead directly to goals. He hasn’t learned to value those things. He’s trying to impress by showing us how many goals he can score. That exacerbates this problem. When he drops deep, he doesn’t do it to create space, he does it so he can get the ball. He doesn’t appreciate empty space, he attempts to figuratively jump and down calling for the ball. You don’t see him make runs that don’t lead to him receiving the ball, and when he does receive it, you don’t see him utilize possession to help anyone else. He’s using the World Cup to try to impress and forcing what he thinks is the criteria.

His teammates aren’t helping, obviously. Belgium has to rank as the most disappointing team with 2 wins, easily. But, I’d much rather see him work his ass off amongst a team that stands about than joining them.

I once gave my MOTM to Demba Ba in a 4 goal game in which he didn’t even score. I’d love to see Lukaku with that sort of game sometime.

(Sorry for my english) We must be patient with him. We already know he's young but hope he can progress like adebayor because when he played for monaco he was so bad and had terrible first touch but he progress a lot with arsenal.

Mate its ok, you don't always need to apologize for your english, :D

its been good for all of you're posts. Welcome to the Forum! :D

Space is luxury in modern football these days m8.

In order to gain space, you have to create it by yourself.

Even netherlands with their attacking football they put 2-3 defenders with discipline guarding their own area.

Only tiki-taka will give you a lot of space.

Suarez, benzema, even torres go into deep position to pick up the ball.

And did he know that his touch is miserable? If i'm his coach i'll definitely tell him to stop train his finishing and focus on his touch (by feet or his head)

Space is a luxury but that's the point. Lukaku can create space when he's facing the goal or running onto the ball. He's just quite poor when he has his back to the goal. Lukaku is an ideal counter attack poacher where he can be fed a ball in space. I almost wonder if he should get a chance as a inside winger rather than as a target man. If you look at how he scores most of his goals they are from Lukaku running into the ball or creating space when he's facing goal.

As I mentionned earlier watch Benteke play target man you will be amazed a difference between the two and how many brilliant head flicks and 1-2s Benteke creates and how easily Benteke can turn when with his back to the goal.

I'm like Romelu a lot and he has certain qualities that you can't teach but as it so happens his weaknesses are also in areas that you can't really teach either. He can improve but ability to improve is limited because the skills are innate and your innate level gives the range that you can fall within.

Space is a luxury but that's the point. Lukaku can create space when he's facing the goal or running onto the ball. He's just quite poor when he has his back to the goal. Lukaku is an ideal counter attack poacher where he can be fed a ball in space. I almost wonder if he should get a chance as a inside winger rather than as a target man. If you look at how he scores most of his goals they are from Lukaku running into the ball or creating space when he's facing goal.

As I mentionned earlier watch Benteke play target man you will be amazed a difference between the two and how many brilliant head flicks and 1-2s Benteke creates and how easily Benteke can turn when with his back to the goal.

I'm like Romelu a lot and he has certain qualities that you can't teach but as it so happens his weaknesses are also in areas that you can't really teach either. He can improve but ability to improve is limited because the skills are innate and your innate level gives the range that you can fall within.

So he wont be useful ever when we face lesser team or team that only defense for whole 90 minutes?

But i like your point about him being inside winger. Martinez never tried it nor Mourinho. Maybe wilmot can pair him up with oirigi(as 2 FW)?

Sowont be useful ever when we face lesser team or team that only defense for whole 90 minutes?

But i like your point about him being inside winger. Martinez never tried it nor Mourinho. Maybe wilmot can pair him up with oirigi(as 2 FW)?

under AVB he played on the right sometimes and was woeful. Having said that he played on the right for Everton vs Arsenal and scored a good goal.

I am happy he is not going to be loaned again. Based on last season he deserves a chance irrespective of how he performs in the World Cup. I just hope however that he will shut up and let his game do the talking.

Well i don't think that's a sign he will stay with us... No loan, but sold ?

Lukaku apologized

"I talked to Romelu and it was a good chat. I know very well how he feels. The same thing happened to me in the 1994 World Cup. I didn't play in the first games and when I did get a start, I was too eager to prove myself."

"Neither Romelu nor myself were happy with the game he had and his reaction. He has apologised and for me that is the end of the story. I don't look back -- I look at the future. That is what interests me. Romelu trained well yesterday and looked happy. Every player wants to show himself in a World Cup but it is not going to change your life."

-Marc Wilmots; source: ESPN

It's good to see his petulant attitude extends to his national team, he isn't eager to do well for Belgium or he wouldn't of reacted that way, like Wilmots said 'show himself' is all he wants to do.

As above if we fetch 25-30m it will be terrific business. Do I think he will score goals elsewhere? Yes, do I think he will be one of the best strikers in the world? No, not with his attitude and work rate.