Stamford Bridge Thread

• 4 weeks later...

Latest talk on twitter, is the Kensington gasworks/sainsburys site in north Kensington.I know the locals are still pushing for a crossrail station there, an idea that Boris also promotes.To be at the heart of a regeneration of a 67acre site in Kensington and CHELSEA, with a W postcode me, within spitting distance of portobello and in an area with a strong chelsea following...I'd take that.

Having a bigger stadium helps of course, but these days...how much do ticket sales really help with the club's revenue?

What? Ticket and TV revenues are by far the biggest source of money modern clubs have!

Just look at RM, Barcelona. ManUtd, Arsenal, Bayern, etc...

What? Ticket and TV revenues are by far the biggest source of money modern clubs have!

Just look at RM, Barcelona. ManUtd, Arsenal, Bayern, etc...

That was my impression as well, but I have heard a few people say otherwise... Especially when it comes to clubs that have a large global appeal, and can make revenue through a lot more avenues

That was my impression as well, but I have heard a few people say otherwise... Especially when it comes to clubs that have a large global appeal, and can make revenue through a lot more avenues

You have heard it wrong then.

For instance, one third of Real Madrid or Barcelona's total revenue comes from the stadium. It is not only tickets, it's the museum, the mega store, the tour, shows, etc. And keep in mind that the Spanish clubs dont even have naming rights!

Of course with Chelsea it wouldnt be THAT big, but a modern and iconic 60-70k stadium in West London would certainty generate a lot of revenue. Chelsea could start hosting shows and international friendlies, it could create a more appealing museum and tour (especially for a more wide audience), maybe partner up and use naming rights, etc. Just look at what Arsenal and ManUtd are capable of doing...

And that is only taking the financial expect into consideration. I didnt even touch the sporting aspects of moving to a bigger stadium: larger crouds, potential lower tickets and standing areas, more hospitality capacity, improved and better equipped media area, etc.

Doing all of that, we could realistic be looking into an increase of 20-30 million pounds at the end of a season. That is enough money to buy a Matic or Willian each year!!!

EDIT: An expansion is out of the question though. It is way too complicated and it costs too much. It already starts with the fact we would have to play somewhere else for a couple of years. Then we would need to buy adjacent properties and wait for the city council to approve it. On top of that, the club would lose a lot of money on the potential real state value of Stamford Bridge's site. Although I would love for us to remain at our home, it is impossible for it to continue to be economically viable.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd love to stay at the bridge! but Finance wise it makes sense too move! I think the whole Set up is great just now! museum is decent, Megastore ...hotel to stay at and two great bar/restaurants! and right next to tube station!

The Bridge is a fortress! doubt a new stadium would be!

• 2 weeks later...

I am very critical of our home crowd because I (as a fanatic Brazilian) think the fans go AWOL in many matches, specially against smaller teams...

However, when we most need support the fans always answer!

Last night was no different. It was absolutely incredible and we really pushed the guys to their limit. Congrats to everyone who went to Stamford Bridge yesterday and made history!!!

KTBFFH

• 4 weeks later...

No.

It's nearly a mile walk to the closest tube station, so they're suggesting if the crossrail doesn't get the go ahead they will have 60k fans walking a mile to the station over a bridge? No chance.

Not forgetting the size of Kensal Green station.....

800px-Kensal_Green_stn_look_south.JPG

Health and safety officials would love it.

Failing that you have Westbourne Park station....So how do you get there from Canal Way? Through a nice little alleyway. Football hooligans dream.

The aerial view currently of Stamford Bridge is astonishing, it looks classy. The aerial view of a stadium in Kensal? Gas works + 65,000 graveyards and a stones throw from Wormwood Scrubs. Classy it is not.

It would probably cost close to £1 billion to renovate the area to an acceptable level for transport purposes and building the stadium. It just doesn't seem feasible whatsoever.

Also not forgetting that it's a complete and utter shithole.

Absolutely no thank you.

I'd suggest a stadium and the crossrail will go hand in hand.Failing that you won't have 60k coming just out of Kensal Green station as Ladbroke Grove, Kensal rise and westbourne park are all close by.

Once the regeneration of that part of North Kensington is done it will look just as classy as any other part of London(although nothing will ever beat our Stamford bridge), yes there is know nice looking cemetery as such but Kensal Green cemetery is one of the most historic and famous cemeteries in London.

And you say it's a stones throw from wormwood scrubs, yet it's even closer to Portobello road, Notting hill and London's next bohemian area...Queens park.

North kensington is not the greatest area in the world at the moment, but this is an area the Dave Cameron and his Tory cronies resided in before getting into power so I wouldn't say it was a shithole.Let's not forget sw6 30-40 yrs ago was a rough tough working class area.

Now don't get me wrong in an ideal world we'd stay at the bridge and expand, but that not feasible...moving to Earls court would also fill me with pleasure...but that ship has sailed.Were running out of options and in the whole scheme of things I wouldn't say Moving to north ken is a bad idea, but alot will depend on the crossrail.

• 1 month later...