The English Football Thread

Steve

As much as it pains me to say it, I think Coutinho is better than Oscar at the moment.

Because he plays good when Liverpool are in beast mode against shit teams? What happened when he had to face good defenders like Luiz and Ivanovic? Oh yeah, did nothing and Sturridge came on!

If we had no Mata, Oscar would be playing in the middle agaisnt those teams and would have been much better. Not that he deserved to do so, but all I am trying to say is that Coutinho is the typical player who will shine in smaller clubs like Liverpool but when the competition gets tougher in top European teams, he will fade away!

• Replies 65.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Because he plays good when Liverpool are in beast mode against shit teams? What happened when he had to face good defenders like Luiz and Ivanovic? Oh yeah, did nothing and Sturridge came on!

If we had no Mata, Oscar would be playing in the middle agaisnt those teams and would have been much better. Not that he deserved to do so, but all I am trying to say is that Coutinho is the typical player who will shine in smaller clubs like Liverpool but when the competition gets tougher in top European teams, he will fade away!

I agree

Oscar in my opinion is more talented than Hazard and Mata, and I'm not joking.

The thing is with Chelsea fans they have no patience at all, It's his first season and everyones on his back because he hasn't been doing it since Rafa has came in. Still a class act, just wait till next season and he starts playing behind the striker more, Oscar has just about everything for me, a great player he is.

Good that Liverpool have hammered Newcastle, puts an awful lot of pressure on them in their last game at home against Arsenal. Need Newcastle with a rocket up their arse when they face Arsenal on the last day.

Really hope Sturridge eventually turns out shit for Liverpool

Because we made a mistake? He's only going to get better, and it's our fault for letting him go.

Anyway, delighted that Spurs drew against Wigan. Big opportunity tomorrow to go 3 pts ahead of them now. If we manage to win the Spurs game (which I will be going to btw :D) as well as tomorrow's game I think top 4's ours.

Right, first, I said right now. Put it down to Oscar being fatigued or Coutinho having more experience in Europe, but I still think he's better right now.

Your point is easily reversable. Especially when you consider your next line, "If we didn't have Mata".

Yes, Coutinho is at a shit club, but Oscar is at a good one. Therefore, Coutinho doesn't have the same quality players around him as Oscar does. Even if Oscar was played in his position, I still think he's far from being effective in the PL. Coutinho however, has speed on his side.

I'm not saying he's a better player, end of story; I'm saying I think he's better at the moment. I believe Oscar will become better than him, but I don't believe he is now. That's all.

And we lost to that shit team...

Right, first, I said right now. Put it down to Oscar being fatigued or Coutinho having more experience in Europe, but I still think he's better right now.

Your point is easily reversable. Especially when you consider your next line, "If we didn't have Mata".

Yes, Coutinho is at a shit club, but Oscar is at a good one. Therefore, Coutinho doesn't have the same quality players around him as Oscar does. Even if Oscar was played in his position, I still think he's far from being effective in the PL there.

I'm not saying he's a better player, end of story; I'm saying I think he's better at the moment. I believe Oscar will become better than him, but I don't believe he is now. That's all.

How many times did Oscar play a full game in the middle? If he had played 10 games there, you would have another opinion!

Just because we lost, it doesnt make them a good team. How good are QPR for you just because we lost to them?

Yes, Coutinho is at a shit club, but Oscar is at a good one. Therefore, Coutinho doesn't have the same quality players around him as Oscar does. Even if Oscar was played in his position, I still think he's far from being effective in the PL. Coutinho however, has speed on his side.

The thing is Oscar does things which people don't even realise, He is fantastic at keeping a ball and turning players, however this goes unnoticed, yet 99 percent of the time he does it.

Look at his fantastic cross against United when Ramires equalised and made it 2-2, it was the game we lost 3-2. Had Coutinho done that it would've been noticed, but that's just the average thing in Chelsea ain't it, we are a good team so a lot of high expectations, I didn't even see Oscars cross get mentioned once tbh.

Oscar is far more talented, even now, you just wait he will really surprise us all.

How many times did Oscar play a full game in the middle? If he had played 10 games there, you would have another opinion!

Just because we lost, it doesnt make them a good team. How good are QPR for you just because we lost to them?

He played there at the start of the season and I was far from impressed.

No, of course not, but it's a comparison between teams. They beat them 6-0 and we lost 3-2 from being 2-1 up. A bit different don't you think?

Did I mention QPR? Don't be so pedantic.

I don't really think 0-6 was on the agenda. I predict another RIOT, bring it on wooo!

Cleaners should get double pay this time. Sturridge is class although he can be a bit Torres-esque in the conviction part of things i.e pulling the fucking trigger.

Now we know how a French team would cope in the prem...

He played there at the start of the season and I was far from impressed.

No, of course not, but it's a comparison between teams. They beat them 6-0 and we lost 3-2 from being 2-1 up. A bit different don't you think?

Did I mention QPR? Don't be so pedantic.

Oscar was beig praised like hell when he was playing under RDM, The Mirror even did a "Oscar Statuate" after his game against Juve!

I think the reason Coutinho gets noticed is because he is a flashy type of player, while Oscar is more of a brain who likes to pass before running at a defender. Also, as Koko said, he does a lot of things that go unnoticed and his work rate is very underrated!

Sorry if I came out rude, I wasnt trying to be. I only mentioned QPR to show that just because a team beat us, it doesnt make them a good side...

Hate to interject, but during his time here (including Europe) Oscar has played 19 games in the middle in his preferred position. Granted, not all those games were him playing as a starter, but Coutinho has been coming off the bench too.. and even playing out wide like Oscar has.

If we take Europe out of the equation, Oscar has played (and started I believe) 11 times through the centre in the Premier League - 8 more than Coutinho (3) has.

Oscar (30) has played 3 times the amount of Premier League games that Coutinho (10) has. They've both played around the same amount percentage-wise of games through the centre as opposed to other positions on the pitch.

Coutinho has played as second-striker 5 times, left-attacking-midfielder 2 times and through the middle only 3 times. Yet with him being swapped around positions so much it can still be argued that in his short time here, Coutinho has impressed more than Oscar. This seems to show that Coutinho is more versatile than Oscar.

Oscar has 2 goals in 30 Premier League appearances, while Coutinho has 2 goals in 10 Premier League appearances.

Oscar has 4 assists in 30 Premier League appearances. Coutinho has 4 assists in 10 Premier League appearances.

Oscar has contributed with some "wundergoals" and some welcomed pressing of the opposition which is admirable from a player in his position, but he's really offered little else. He averages under 2 shots a game, where-as Coutinho averages just over 2 shots a game.

In conclusion, it would seem that if we go by stats, Coutinho is currently equal to if not better than Oscar at club level.

If we simply go by what we see, it's all wide open for debate since everyone's perception is different.

Coutinho has been better than Oscar in recent weeks but that doesn't mean he is and will be a better player. Anyway who cares? Everyone has spells of greatness and everyone has spells or rubbish, i'm surprised this is even a discussion, you guys must be so bored.

Hate to interject, but during his time here (including Europe) Oscar has played 19 games in the middle in his preferred position. Granted, not all those games were him playing as a starter, but Coutinho has been coming off the bench too.. and even playing out wide like Oscar has.

If we take Europe out of the equation, Oscar has played (and started I believe) 11 times through the centre in the Premier League - 8 more than Coutinho (3) has.

Oscar (30) has played 3 times the amount of Premier League games that Coutinho (10) has. They've both played around the same amount percentage-wise of games through the centre as opposed to other positions on the pitch.

Coutinho has played as second-striker 5 times, left-attacking-midfielder 2 times and through the middle only 3 times. Yet with him being swapped around positions so much it can still be argued that in his short time here, Coutinho has impressed more than Oscar. This seems to show that Coutinho is more versatile than Oscar.

Oscar has 2 goals in 30 Premier League appearances, while Coutinho has 2 goals in 10 Premier League appearances.

Oscar has 4 assists in 30 Premier League appearances. Coutinho has 4 assists in 10 Premier League appearances.

Oscar has contributed with some "wundergoals" and some welcomed pressing of the opposition which is admirable from a player in his position, but he's really offered little else. He averages under 2 shots a game, where-as Coutinho averages just over 2 shots a game.

In conclusion, it would seem that if we go by stats, Coutinho is currently equal to if not better than Oscar at club level.

If we simply go by what we see, it's all wide open for debate since everyone's perception is different.

In the Mikel thread you've made fun of Choulo and abused sarcasm to an unbelievable extent, then you use stats right here?

Personally I didn't even get what Coutinho did what was so great? If anyone seen the game you would've noticed how the back 4 had no cover. With a team of quality players like Newcastle has, they shouldn't lose 6-0 to anyone, and I mean anyone, yet today they did. Because Pardew took off Perch and Guitierez and replaced them with strikers.

Coutinho did what? play a ball over the top which any player could've picked out?. Oh yeah and did have a good strike later in the game, such an overrated performance.

He can come back when he scores a goal like he did against Juventus, if anything Sturridge and Downing had the good games and completely flattened their defence.

In the Mikel thread you've made fun of Choulo

No I haven't.

Personally I didn't even get what Coutinho did what was so great?

I'm not talking about today's game :blink:

He can come back when he scores a goal like he did against Juventus

Kalou has scored a couple 'wundergoals'. Should Hazard 'come back' once he's got the same amount? :blink:

abused sarcasm to an unbelievable extent

IRONIC. ;););););););)