The English Football Thread

Steve

Remind me - How many professional games has Andre Villas-Boas played again? Unless of course, as I assume, you mean just play it in general etc, in which case you shouldn't assume I haven't or don't play.

Have I said professionally? You must play, being with friends at weekends is enough. If you had ever played as a GK, you wouldnt have criticized Cech for not defending Aguero's header in the FA Cup semi-final...

EDIT: Again quoting only one little sentence of someone's entire post. ;)

• Replies 65.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Can someone elaborate on this pathetic and immature reply/personal attack/whatever he's been doing all day to Skunk and now myself?

I'm seriously thinking that this guy shouldn't be tolerated in this forum and if the other members see what he is doing all day long, I think they will take care of this issue.

I've been seeing all his posts, and honestly, he doesn't stop to push the people. Santiago was a good forum user compared to him.

Oscar was beig praised like hell when he was playing under RDM, The Mirror even did a "Oscar Statuate" after his game against Juve!

I think the reason Coutinho gets noticed is because he is a flashy type of player, while Oscar is more of a brain who likes to pass before running at a defender. Also, as Koko said, he does a lot of things that go unnoticed and his work rate is very underrated!

Sorry if I came out rude, I wasnt trying to be. I only mentioned QPR to show that just because a team beat us, it doesnt make them a good side...

This was what I was trying to get at, albeit a little more praising of Coutinho; that Countiho seems more effective, in an attacking sense. More direct. Like a mini (ok, tiny) Hazard, who'd still get an assist.

Regarding Oscar, I just feel that in terms of what he was brought here to do and how he is supposed to be at his most effective (i.e. playmaking), he just isn't/can't be right now. I understand his job is a lot harder and all, but I'm just speaking on the overall impact of a game.

I suppose it was easier for Coutinho to settle in, considering his job is easier, but I do believe in Oscar and I have no doubts that there will be no comparisons between the two players in the coming years.

No, no. No offence taken. We'll be lol'ing about this debate, probably after next season when Liverpool, once again finish 7th for the third season and we're starting to get back in the title hunt! :D

The comparisons between Coutinho and Oscar are a little unfair.

Coutinho is playing in a shit team, but in his correct position without anyone else taking up the space he occupies.

Oscar is being played out of a position a lot of the time and in the same team as Mata who does a lot of the playmaking Oscar would do at any other club. He's also lacking consistent playing time in the centre when he gets the chance and he's new to the European game.

This was what I was trying to get at, albeit a little more praising of Coutinho; that Countiho seems more effective, in an attacking sense. More direct. Like a mini (ok, tiny) Hazard, who'd still get an assist.

Regarding Oscar, I just feel that in terms of what he was brought here to do and how he is supposed to be at his most effective (i.e. playmaking), he just isn't/can't be right now. I understand his job is a lot harder and all, but I'm just speaking on the overall impact of a game.

I suppose it was easier for Coutinho to settle in, considering his job is easier, but I do believe in Oscar and I have no doubts that there will be no comparisons between the two players in the coming years.

No, no. No offence taken. We'll be lol'ing about this debate, probably after next season when Liverpool, once again finish 7th for the third season and we're starting to get back in the title hunt! :D

Well, at least someone is intelligent enough to make football points and explain them!

Coutinho is more prolific at dribbling and running past defenders because that is his style, a bit like Lucas Moura. Oscar, on the other hand, is more like a Pirlo or Modric (or even Lampard) type of player, they can all do fancy tricks, but it is just not part of their game. You will always see Coutinho making more headlines (if they were actually at the same level) than Oscar because that is just his thing.

Oscar did not have a very good season, like almost all our team, but this is his first ever season in a super different league. If the style of football in Brazilian to Italian Series A is already very apart, imagine Brazilian Serie A to EPL. He actually adapted very well, IMO. Remember he is the first real talented player to that direct transition in history...

I guess that Liverpool's current form and the love the media has for them make the minds of highly influenced kids (not that you are one, but you understand), but Oscar has been much better throughout all of his career and this shows in the NT. Have you never asked yourself why Coutinho doesnt even make the cut? That is because managers have seen a lot of him at Vasco and Inter and they werent impressed, it is not 2-3 good months that would change their minds!

Overall, Coutinho has been a good surprise to all of us (specially who have seen him failing at Italy), but he cant be put in the same sentence as Oscar. Our little number 10 is considered one of the very best promisses of football and this is no joke. I have no doubt he will have a great next season and Coutinho will start to have inconsistency (specially at big games). At the long run, Oscar will be by far the best player!

Do you really need to still refer to me long after we've stopped conversing, and in a negative way at that?

Again and again and again... How this is even possible? Is his priority to offend anyone that doesn't think like him?

@Leif,

All I asked was for you to tell me what were the 11 games he started in the middle and actually give facts on why you think Coutinho is the better player. Since I told you that your post had no useful information nor arguments explaining what made you think Oscar was the one who least impressed you, I havent received one single football related quote.
You simple gave assists, goals and appearances and did not elaborate on it. I wasnt trying to be offensive at first, I answer like this to everyone (read the discussion I had with The Mak). I just stated that your interjection had little meaning and gives no real arguments to the topic that was being debated.
Had you simply answered the 'concerns' I raised, this would have gone down as normal as any other discussion this forums has!

@Rmpr @Leif - guys both of you are my favourite posters - please don't argue!

I'm off to Dubai for a week (work unfortunately) but hope when I return, we will have smashed the Swans so badly the Queen will be concerned!!! (She owns all swans in uk!)

We should also have dispatched the Cuckoo clock boys and be booking our tickets to Amsterdam :)

So c'mon we're all Chelsea here - lets not do a Millwall huh and fight ourselves ;)

@Rmpr @Leif - guys both of you are my favourite posters - please don't argue!

As you have seen, my venom was very sharp today, I blame my terrible mood (it was on par with the day of the Hall of Fame breakdown)...

It has already stopped and not happening again, messaged the members I have offended (and wrongly so) today and I hope everything will be resolved!

Add alcohol, girl and a forum with a bad temper and you get me throwing stupid digs at undeserving members, sorry! ;)

I'm off to Dubai for a week (work unfortunately) but hope when I return, we will have smashed the Swans so badly the Queen will be concerned!!! (She owns all swans in uk!)

We should also have dispatched the Cuckoo clock boys and be booking our tickets to Amsterdam :)

So c'mon we're all Chelsea here - lets not do a Millwall huh and fight ourselves ;)

Yeah, I hope you return with Chelsea in 3rd and with UEL Final secured! :woo:

Main differences between Coutinho and Oscar:

-Coutinho has forwards to feed

-Coutinho is naturally much faster

-Oscar is more of a midfielder while Coutinho is more of a forward

-Last but most importantly,Coutinho never plays out of position.

And as I said before,we can discuss this when Coutinho gives a brilliant performance vs someone like Juventus.Not Newcaslte,Villa etc, Im talking about CL and International level quality performances

Well, at least someone is intelligent enough to make football points and explain them!

Coutinho is more prolific at dribbling and running past defenders because that is his style, a bit like Lucas Moura. Oscar, on the other hand, is more like a Pirlo or Modric (or even Lampard) type of player, they can all do fancy tricks, but it is just not part of their game. You will always see Coutinho making more headlines (if they were actually at the same level) than Oscar because that is just his thing.

Oscar did not have a very good season, like almost all our team, but this is his first ever season in a super different league. If the style of football in Brazilian to Italian Series A is already very apart, imagine Brazilian Serie A to EPL. He actually adapted very well, IMO. Remember he is the first real talented player to that direct transition in history...

I guess that Liverpool's current form and the love the media has for them make the minds of highly influenced kids (not that you are one, but you understand), but Oscar has been much better throughout all of his career and this shows in the NT. Have you never asked yourself why Coutinho doesnt even make the cut? That is because managers have seen a lot of him at Vasco and Inter and they werent impressed, it is not 2-3 good months that would change their minds!

Overall, Coutinho has been a good surprise to all of us (specially who have seen him failing at Italy), but he cant be put in the same sentence as Oscar. Our little number 10 is considered one of the very best promisses of football and this is no joke. I have no doubt he will have a great next season and Coutinho will start to have inconsistency (specially at big games). At the long run, Oscar will be by far the best player!

Well we all expect Oscar to be far better than Coutinho....he cost 25 million, Coutinho only cost around 10 million.

Oscar hasn't really done anything since his 2 goals against Juventus. He'll probably become a good player...eventually.

I think Coutinho hasn't been given a proper chance by the Brazilian NT due to a lack of playing time at club level. He's never been given the time to settle at a particular club...until Pochettino gave him a chance at Espanyol...and now he's full of confidence, playing well for Liverpool.

Main differences between Coutinho and Oscar:

-Coutinho has forwards to feed

-Coutinho is naturally much faster

-Oscar is more of a midfielder while Coutinho is more of a forward

-Last but most importantly,Coutinho never plays out of position.

And as I said before,we can discuss this when Coutinho gives a brilliant performance vs someone like Juventus.Not Newcaslte,Villa etc, Im talking about CL and International level quality performances

Coutinho is versatile and capable of playing multiple positions. Oscar can only play as a CM or CAM...he's useless anywhere else on the pitch.

And unfortunately for Oscar, he's got to compete with a much better player in his favourite position at Chelsea.

Well we all expect Oscar to be far better than Coutinho....he cost 25 million, Coutinho only cost around 10 million.

Oscar hasn't really done anything since his 2 goals against Juventus. He'll probably become a good player...eventually.

I think Coutinho hasn't been given a proper chance by the Brazilian NT due to a lack of playing time at club level. He's never been given the time to settle at a particular club...until Pochettino gave him a chance at Espanyol...and now he's full of confidence, playing well for Liverpool.

The reason Oscar was 25mi is because Brazilian market is inflated and the reason why Coutinho went for 10mi was because Inter tried everything they could and he still failed. But I get your point and there is no arguing with it, he either lives up to the expectation or he leaves...

I think he has done a lot, like socring most of our European goals and giving balance to Mata and Hazard, but he did not have that great of a season. I just think people overreact when they analyze Oscar's first year at Chlesea. One because the adaptation really is tough, specially outside the football pitch (language, food, city, friends, etc). And second because I think our roller-coaster FSW season has prevented him from flourishing.

This has obviously influence, but the real problem is the FIFA U-20 WC. The team was supposed to built around be Neymar, Coutinho and Lucas. However, he failed badly and Oscar took his position throughout the tournament, with amazing displays and a hattrick in the final, he caught the eyes of everyone! On the professional NT, he got the opportunity after Ganso's injury and never had one single bad game, so no one doubts him anymore. If he continues to play like this in Liverpool, he will get the chance (specially because Kaka and Ronaldinho are aging), but until now, he hasnt done anything to make him deserve the place...

Nothing I can say, agreed!