The English Football Thread

Steve

That I can't dispute, though I didn't exactly include that in the argument in the first place.

True but on the other hand, one could argue that Benitez did a bad job at motivating the players to go again and went about the task in the wrong manner. More crucially perhaps, most of the players in that Inter side was already over the hill or nearly there. Mourinho squeezed every ounce of quality left in that squad to win the treble before he left. Never mind just needing to motivate the players, you practically need to change their squad as well. Look where they are now since 2010.

At Bayern, yes, it's not easy to motivate the players after they've won the treble but the thing is, all the players in the squad were still in their prime or heading there. They didn't have the situation like Inter did. So in that sense, Guardiola took over not just a winning team but one still in their prime. It's almost easy for him to just come in, get the players to continue going and remain on the trophy winning trail.

Maybe my comparison with Inter was a bit far fetched for the reasons you gave however I do believe Pep had a real battle keeping the hunger levels up regardless off the stage in career his players were. Whether they mean to or not, players need a lot more motivation to win something again than they do the first time, especially straight after. Even as a supporter I can relate to that, I don't feel the same raw anxiety and desperation to win the CL now we've actually done it, I still desperately want to win it tho don't get me wrong.

• Replies 65.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vesper

• Laylabelle

• Jase

• Special Juan

Maybe my comparison with Inter was a bit far fetched for the reasons you gave however I do believe Pep had a real battle keeping the hunger levels up regardless off the stage in career his players were. Whether they mean to or not, players need a lot more motivation to win something again than they do the first time, especially straight after. Even as a supporter I can relate to that, I don't feel the same raw anxiety and desperation to win the CL now we've actually done it, I still desperately want to win it tho don't get me wrong.

I can't really disagree with that but think what people want to see with Guardiola is him taking a struggling team to the very top, like say either one of the Milan teams right now. No doubt his achievements have their merits but it kinda help his cause a lot, if you like, when he had the likes of Xavi, Iniesta, Messi at Barcelona (not that Messi has gone over the hill) and a winning, strong side like Bayern. He would gain a lot more credibility if he can rebuild a team like Inter/Milan.

Is Wenger just tactically naive or pure stubborn? It's quite farcical how he didn't even bother to change anything when Chambers was having a nightmare all game against Montero. Why not at least shift Chambers to CB and put Monreal at RB?! :doh:

The goal from Sigurdsson was an absolute beauty. Never thought he would manage to put that in, especially in the manner that he did. Stunning strike from a classy underrated player.

The game has caught up and overtook Wenger and he couldn't keep pace.

Him managing in 2014 is the equivalent of Giggs still playing last season, both great years back, but trying to prolong a career that peaked out years ago.

If Wenger cared about Arsenal above all else he would hold his hands up and say ive had my day and go upstairs, but luckily for us he's too stubborn for that. He can't even use the money excuse anymore after his recent spurlgles and what Simeone has achieved on less money than Wenger's ever had against more expensive squad's than Wenger's ever faced (domestically).

The game has caught up and overtook Wenger and he couldn't keep pace.

Him managing in 2014 is the equivalent of Giggs still playing last season, both great years back, but trying to prolong a career that peaked out years ago.

If Wenger cared about Arsenal above all else he would hold his hands up and say ive had my day and go upstairs, but luckily for us he's too stubborn for that. He can't even use the money excuse anymore after his recent spurlgles and what Simeone has achieved on less money than Wenger's ever had against more expensive squad's than Wenger's ever faced (domestically).

Sometimes you can't help but to feel for the Arsenal fans to have such a pathetic manager in charge. I mean, how clueless or stubborn can one be?! It's almost like he's competing with Rodgers and Pellegrini to see who is the most tactically naive manager in England.

Sometimes you can't help but to feel for the Arsenal fans to have such a pathetic manager in charge. I mean, how clueless or stubborn can one be?! It's almost like he's competing with Rodgers and Pellegrini to see who is the most tactically naive manager in England.

All I can add to that is I hope all 3 stay in their current posts for a very long time to come.

Mourinho would improve any side in the world and guarantee almost Maximum success sooner or later.

Guardiola however relies on technically strong Players to implement his System. I would really like to see how he manages a weaker side. Since he won't anyway, he is not proven,

So do you guys think Sigurdsson is good only for smaller clubs like Swansea or was completely misused in Tottenham?

I watch swansea a lot.

Siggs was always a good player, however, now everything runs through Siggs, so his consistency and relevance in terms of stats is better.

At Spurs, he was always wide and was in and out of games quite a bit.

He looks to be the perfect replacement for Michu, who is barely featured in Napoli this season.