Gregory van der Wiel

Haha ok good point. I'm saying it more as in we've shown it CAN be done rather than we are unanimously successful, so I don't necessarily think it would pose an immediate problem, given that he'll likely sit on the bench behind Iva for a fair number of games.

lol yea i was only messing anyways. I think your right, he could vastly improve his defensive game by playing understudy to the great Iva! =)

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I'm struggling to find out the logic behind this whole "a new RB needed" thingy.

Ivanovic is a dead-on starter, I rate him one of the best RB in the world and I wouldn't replace him with anyone else.

If Ivanovic is not available, Luiz can play there, Essien can play there, Ferreira can play there, even Ramires will do a great job there.

In addition, our youth, Hutchinson and Kane possess great potentials to be wonderful RB for us and I would love to see them given chances to play in domestic cup games.

Compare to the demand of a RB, a backup goalie is much more important imo. Just imagine if Cech is injuried, we will be in serious danger no matter how great our attacking are.

To be honest, I'm struggling to find out the logic behind this whole "a new RB needed" thingy.

Ivanovic is a dead-on starter, I rate him one of the best RB in the world and I wouldn't replace him with anyone else.

If Ivanovic is not available, Luiz can play there, Essien can play there, Ferreira can play there, even Ramires will do a great job there.

In addition, our youth, Hutchinson and Kane possess great potentials to be wonderful RB for us and I would love to see them given chances to play in domestic cup games.

Compare to the demand of a RB, a backup goalie is much more important imo. Just imagine if Cech is injuried, we will be in serious danger no matter how great our attacking are.

I totally agree. I think getting a Modric type player is more important than buying a RB when we have numerous options for that role already!

Luiz is terrible at rb. Ramires has only played there once. Ferreira is getting old and Essien is just shit.

Luiz is terrible at rb. Ramires has only played there once. Ferreira is getting old and Essien is just shit.

Well, in your theory, we need to buy a whole new squad which are all superstars to sit on the bench standby.

We cant rely on Essien as RB, Ferreira is 33 and we shouldnt expect that he always do well when his called up and if we play against likes of Ronaldo/Ribery then i think its too risky to playing Luiz or Ramires as RB. Todd Kane and Sam are too young and unproven to play with they in big matches.

We should buy a decent right back. No need world class player, just a back up for Iva would be good to fill the gap when Brana is injured/suspended or just for rotation.

We cant rely on Essien as RB, Ferreira is 33 and we shouldnt expect that he always do well when his called up and if we play against likes of Ronaldo/Ribery then i think its too risky to playing Luiz or Ramires as RB. Todd Kane and Sam are too young and unproven to play with they in big matches.

We should buy a decent right back. No need world class player, just a back up for Iva would be good to fill the gap when Brana is injured/suspended or just for rotation.

I understand that, but the truth is, no one is willing to sit on the bench for most of the time yet our fans think he is good enough (Chelsea standard).

I understand that, but the truth is, no one is willing to sit on the bench for most of the time yet our fans think he is good enough (Chelsea standard).

The season is long. Rotations, injuries, suspensions (when Iva is injured/suspended or even when cbs are injured or suspended and Iva move to the center). There are plenty games to play. Just look how much Bosingwa have played in last season.

But the true is that van der Wiel probably want to be the first choice RB... he should show that on the field or else we should get someone else.

Lets be honest, Ivan is a better center back than a right back, we need a more natural RB, Van der Wiel is in the perfect mould imo especially if we are going to do this mad tika taka crazy bullshit that Roman wants.

Lets be honest, Ivan is a better center back than a right back, we need a more natural RB, Van der Wiel is in the perfect mould imo especially if we are going to do this mad tika taka crazy bullshit that Roman wants.

I'd actually say he's a better right back than centre back.

Really have to disagree with you, Ivanovic is a terrific right back, and just an okay centre back.

Really have to disagree with you, Ivanovic is a terrific right back, and just an okay centre back.

Hes a good right back but I think hes a much better center back. We need another right back for sure anyway if hes get injured/suspended.

I'd actually say he's a better right back than centre back.

If you watch the away game at Leverkusen you'd see Ivanovic dropped into the centre and left his man completely, he is a competent right back, but sadly isn't natural and as already mentioned the season is long and against teams who haven't got as much attacking threat playing van der Wiel at RB would for me be a more attacking move and in all honestly a needed one if they park the bus like a lot did at The Bridge last season. Providing we buy Hulk he'd be instructed to cut in and we need a Boswinga-esque player (albeit a better one) to overlap to provide width.

£8m for Holland's best defender and one of the best attacking wing backs in the game I really cannot see what is going to go wrong and even more so when we have a minimum of 51 games next season.

Well, in your theory, we need to buy a whole new squad which are all superstars to sit on the bench standby.

What are you on about. I was talking about those players playing at RB.

I'm not sure of this transfer really...If I had my way, I would have kept Bosingwa as a back-up and made Ivanovic the sure-starter. Bringing in a highly rated RB would mean Iva losing his starting 11 spot, and he's certainly not going to play CB when Luiz, Terry and Cahill are fit. We'd struggle to keep him. I feel money should be spent strengthening another position.

Would prefer azpili, but you know wat

I doubt we can have another bosingwa can we!?!?

And this talk of no new rb!?!?!? Look how many games bosingwa played!! And we want essien ferriera Ramires and hutch to take that place!?!?

Oh my fukin days!?

We need a new rb and we're definitely buying one.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You