Paulo Ferreira

Kieran.

It's not about not being flash, the truth is, he wasn't very good for most of his time at Chelsea which is why no manager aside from Mourinho ever saw him as a starter and most didn't even like him to be the first backup. Had his contract not been bad, he would have been gone ages ago. The other stuff (being a nice guy, turning up and doing their job) is not uncommon in football. I understand appreciating him. I appreciate what every Chelsea player does for us. I just care more about actual performance and Ferriera's performance, especially for what we paid for, overall, was poor. Kalou was a vastly more important player for Chelsea over the course of his career and people were yelling at him to leave. Malouda was an elite player for us for a bit and people want him gone. It's almost like Ferriera got to die young (in movie star terms) by not playing much once he started to decline. Had he been forced to start, people would have remembered/seen how poor he really was and wanted him to leave and been happy when he did. By never playing, he maintained a different image, one of silent nobility which is ridiculous when you think about it, to give credit to someone for not being good enough to play.

Couldn't agree more. I appreciate his hard work etc, don't quite get the love.

It's not about not being flash, the truth is, he wasn't very good for most of his time at Chelsea which is why no manager aside from Mourinho ever saw him as a starter and most didn't even like him to be the first backup. Had his contract not been bad, he would have been gone ages ago. The other stuff (being a nice guy, turning up and doing their job) is not uncommon in football. I understand appreciating him. I appreciate what every Chelsea player does for us. I just care more about actual performance and Ferriera's performance, especially for what we paid for, overall, was poor. Kalou was a vastly more important player for Chelsea over the course of his career and people were yelling at him to leave. Malouda was an elite player for us for a bit and people want him gone. It's almost like Ferriera got to die young (in movie star terms) by not playing much once he started to decline. Had he been forced to start, people would have remembered/seen how poor he really was and wanted him to leave and been happy when he did. By never playing, he maintained a different image, one of silent nobility which is ridiculous when you think about it, to give credit to someone for not being good enough to play.

He did come in last season away to Benfica, lacking in match fitness and ran his bollocks off for 80 minutes. Let's not pretend he wasn't part of this squad over the least few years.

Maybe you just have a different criteria for judging players and that's fair enough, but the guy is very much loved because of his attitude and his character - precisely the reason some other players don't get quite the same affection.

That love was on display on Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

He visited a Jamaican academy :)

http://instagram.com/p/ux1zhYQCzq

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/10/ferreira-joins-foundation-coaches-at-caribbean-academy.html

A like this guy a lot, I'm so happy he is still working at the club. It was nice to see him in Lisbon either.

• 3 weeks later...

Ferreira assesses quality three

Paulo Ferreira has praised the work of new boys Diego Costa and Cesc Fabregas since they arrived at Chelsea in the summer.

Club legend Ferreira, who retired at the end of the 2012/13 campaign, believes the pair are an important factor in the teams record-breaking start to the season, which has seen us go 17 games unbeaten since winning at Burnley on August 18.

At the moment Chelsea is doing really well and I am very happy for that, Ferreira said. I think they can be champions, it will still not be easy, it will be a long and hard season, but I am really pleased with how the team is doing.

The new players that came have lots of quality and the important thing is they have adapted easily. Diego Costa just arrived, its his first season and he is scoring goals. Cesc Fabregas knows the Premier League really well and is a top player, they came and brought extra quality to the team.

It helps Diego Costa to have some Brazilian players in the team to help him settle, to tell him how the league works, and I think thats important.

When you spend money on top players, you want to see them arrive and succeed, and its what weve seen from him. I am really happy for him because he is doing really well. And I am sure the manager is really happy. The supporters want to see him scoring goals too and hes doing that.

There was praise also for the man who fills what was once Ferreiras preferred right-back position, who has enjoyed a superb start to the season.

Branislav Ivanovic has also been fantastic so far, said the 35-year-old. He has had a really good season and is a top player. Defensively he is very strong and its very difficult to beat him, but hes also good in attack and can score goals as well. Hes a very consistent player.

Ferreira was speaking in Moscow, where he was a guest of our official whisky partner for Russia, William Lawsons. The two-time Champions League winner completed an hour-long Q&A session with another former Blue, Alexey Smertin, and also visited a local amateur training session. The pair were team-mates during our 2004/05 title-winning season.

Ferreira said afterwards: It was really good, I have to say thanks to William Lawsons to invite me and give me this opportunity to see how they are supporting the amateur teams here.

It was a pleasure to meet the players, talk with them and watch the training session. I told them its never too late, and its good to see them believe they could become professional one day and follow their dreams.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2014/11/ferreira-assesses-quality-three.html

• 2 months later...

The weekend interview: Paulo Ferreira

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2015/01/the-weekend-interview--paulo-ferreira.html

I liked this guy a lot, it's nice to that he is still working for the club. I hope Drogba and Terry will get a job here too.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

FERREIRA ON SHACKLING RONALDO AT WEMBLEY

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/04/25/ferreira-on-shackling-ronaldo-at-wembley?cardIndex=0-2

At 3pm today, The 5th Stand app will be showing the full game re-run of our 2007 FA Cup final victory over Manchester United, the first at the newly-rebuilt Wembley Stadium and an encounter which featured a key battle between two Portuguese internationals down the Chelsea right flank.

With the previous six finals having been held at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium, it was a huge game to mark the return of the showpiece fixture to its natural home as the two best teams in the country went head-to-head for the famous trophy.

The match itself was tight, perhaps unsurprising with so much at stake and so little to choose between the teams, who would go on to compete in the Champions League final just one year later.

In the Premier League United had finished as champions, six points ahead of the Blues, but it was Chelsea who would come out on top at Wembley as Didier Drogba - who else? - scored a dramatic extra-time winner when he latched on to a clever Frank Lampard flick and poked the ball home to seal what would be the first of four FA Cup triumphs in just six years.

Paulo Ferreira was given the unenviable task that afternoon of trying to shackle Cristiano Ronaldo, his international team-mate and United’s biggest attacking threat. It was a job he excelled in, with the attacker a peripheral figure for much of the game, and our former defender explains why our game-plan worked so well.

‘That season Cristiano was flying, I think he scored 42 goals and did really well,’ recalls Ferreira. ‘For me, I had to play against him because he was on my side, but the team did really well that day.

snip