Paulo Ferreira

Kieran.

Juan Mata's blog certainly confirmed Paulo is leaving -

That was the best farewell to the League in front of our fans. We did a lap of honour and paid tribute to a great professional who is not staying with us: Paulo Ferreira. Paulinho, it’s been a pleasure to share these two seasons with you, you are an example of professionalism, values, respect, dedication and education; thank you for all the things I learnt from you. You are a phenomenal guy and I wish you the best in this new stage of your life!

Titles won with Chelsea

Premier League 2004-2005

League Cup 2004-2005

FA Community Shield 2005

Premier League 2005-2006

Fa Cup 2006-2007

League Cup 2006-2007

Fa Cup 2007-2008

FA Community Shield 2009

Premier League 2009-2010

FA Cup 2009-2010

FA Cup 2011-2012

Champions League 2011-2012

Europa League 2012-2013

-------------------------------------

1 Champions League

1 Europa League

3 Premier Leagues

4 FA Cups

2 League Cups

2 Community Shields

---------------------------

13 titles !

Thanks for everything Paulo, you've been a loyal and true servant to the club for 9 years, always working and always helping. Your name won't be forgotten at the Bridge!

All the best for the rest of your life mate! :blue scalf:

PAULO FERREIRA PAULO FERREIRA PAULOOO FERREEEEIRA PAULO FERREEEEEIRAAAA! :getin:

Goodbye and thank you ! :)

Хвала ти Пауло, поздрав! :)

@1:58

Q: What are you going to do when you retire?

A: I will try to be involved in football...

Roman what are you waiting? Bring this role model to the coaching staff with Mourinho.

On the serious note, it's really sad to see all those players from old guard leaving and retiring. I guess the new generation is starting, it may be even better than this one, but surely this one will always have a special place in my heart. Thank you Paulo!

tumblr_mn23khJkyr1qbqawco1_500.jpg

Maybe in future?

Never got the love for Ferreira. He signed an awful contract with Chelsea and was likely only with the club because nobody else would pay starter wages for a player who wasn't nearly good enough to start. Ferriera had a couple of very good seasons with us, but he was never the reason we won even at his peak. He only started more than 18 games in the Premier League once in his entire Chelsea career. He didn't play in 30 games (which is not a lot) in all competitions since Mourinho left, and was mostly our 3rd choice RB. As for this consummate professional stuff, yeah, he got paid millions of pounds for basically sitting on a bench and doing what little was asked of him without complaining. I'd do it too. We'd all do it. Many many players, indeed, most players, do that for much less money. It hardly makes him special. I like him because because he was a Chelsea player and he seems to be a nice guy but this club legend stuff is just ridiculous. This is not a case of someone like Terry or Zola who was central to a team's identity and success for an extended period. This is not like Essien who was a world-class player for a few years before losing it. This is not even like Malouda who was an amazing player, maybe our best, for a couple of years before flaming out. Ferriera was by and large was a peripheral player that just happened to stay at Chelsea for a long time because we signed him to a bad contract.

Never got the love for Ferreira. He signed an awful contract with Chelsea and was likely only with the club because nobody else would pay starter wages for a player who wasn't nearly good enough to start. Ferriera had a couple of very good seasons with us, but he was never the reason we won even at his peak. He only started more than 18 games in the Premier League once in his entire Chelsea career. He didn't play in 30 games (which is not a lot) in all competitions since Mourinho left, and was mostly our 3rd choice RB. As for this consummate professional stuff, yeah, he got paid millions of pounds for basically sitting on a bench and doing what little was asked of him without complaining. I'd do it too. We'd all do it. Many many players, indeed, most players, do that for much less money. It hardly makes him special. I like him because because he was a Chelsea player and he seems to be a nice guy but this club legend stuff is just ridiculous. This is not a case of someone like Terry or Zola who was central to a team's identity and success for an extended period. This is not like Essien who was a world-class player for a few years before losing it. This is not even like Malouda who was an amazing player, maybe our best, for a couple of years before flaming out. Ferriera was by and large was a peripheral player that just happened to stay at Chelsea for a long time because we signed him to a bad contract.

What about some admiration to his loyalty, proffesionalism ?

He is a great role model for any player.

Even some of the players praised him for it. (Mata, Lamps..)

That's harsh.

Paulo is a great guy and even though he hasn't really been needed on the pitch for a few years, he has deserved every bit of the wages he has received, which I would assume haven't even been that high after he's signed a few extensions and agreed to a smaller squad role. He is no doubt one of the most popular figures in the dressing room and he has helped all our new signings settle in faster by making them feel more welcome and showing them how things are done at the club. He has taught the English language to players like Luiz, Ramires, Oscar, Mata etc. and they've all been very thankful for everything Ferreira has done for them despite him being pretty much non-existant as a first team player during the time they've been at the club. You have no idea what goes on behind the scenes at Chelsea, being part of the club is so much more than just playing football for two hours every once in a while.

I'd estimate Paulo's wages to be between £20-40k for these past few seasons when he hasn't been playing much anymore. Now let's compare that to what important members of the coaching team are earning and you'll realize that this figure isn't even that much when you think about how influential Paulo has been behind the scenes. Saying that a man who has spend nearly a decade at the club and for much of that time been a big part of the team's success doesn't deserve to stay at the club is one of the most disrespectful things I've heard in a long time.

Paulo Ferreira, a real gentleman and a Chelsea Legend. I wish him well for the future and I hope we'll some day see him again at the club again in at least some capacity.

He was a good bloke who was always prepared to do a job for the team, and was always very good with the fans. He wasn't flash, he wasn't spectacular but he was someone you could rely on week-in and week-out to give EVERYTHING for the shirt.

No-one attached to the club had a bad word to say about him and he never sought the spotlight or attracted negative attention. He just turned up, did his job and represented this club well.

That's why there's love for the guy.

It's not about not being flash, the truth is, he wasn't very good for most of his time at Chelsea which is why no manager aside from Mourinho ever saw him as a starter and most didn't even like him to be the first backup. Had his contract not been bad, he would have been gone ages ago. The other stuff (being a nice guy, turning up and doing their job) is not uncommon in football. I understand appreciating him. I appreciate what every Chelsea player does for us. I just care more about actual performance and Ferriera's performance, especially for what we paid for, overall, was poor. Kalou was a vastly more important player for Chelsea over the course of his career and people were yelling at him to leave. Malouda was an elite player for us for a bit and people want him gone. It's almost like Ferriera got to die young (in movie star terms) by not playing much once he started to decline. Had he been forced to start, people would have remembered/seen how poor he really was and wanted him to leave and been happy when he did. By never playing, he maintained a different image, one of silent nobility which is ridiculous when you think about it, to give credit to someone for not being good enough to play.

I remembered last season when Iva and Bosingwa were out and AVB had to play Ferreira in the league game against Tottenham. Paulo had Gareth Bale in his pocket and was included in the all star team of that week. The guy is class, never complains but is always prepared to play. He is not like FloMo or Winston Bogarde.