20. Cole Palmer

ZAPHOD2319

WATCH: Cole Palmer scores a great goal for England U21

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2023/9/11/23868869/watch-cole-palmer-scores-a-great-goal-for-england-u21

Cole Palmer is one of the players we’re hoping will be able to fix our goalscoring woes — not just this season, but for many seasons going forward — and Chelsea’s newest recruit showed today that he can indeed produce a stellar finish, by scoring a wonderful effort for England U21 against Luxembourg this evening.

Now he just has to do this consistently, and in a Blues shirt!

Unsurprisingly, England didn’t have much trouble with the hosts, especially in the second half, with Palmer setting up the first goal, Noni Madueke the second, and then Palmer crowning it all off with his great strike in a 3-0 victory.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a word of caution that the opposition looked fairly poor today (Fulham). Some of it can definitely be attributed to our play, but some was just ponderous passing and some naive defending by Fulham.

With that said, Palmer was also very good against Brighton, so that's second match in a row (Brighton is better opposition too).

You get the 3 points when you face weaker opposition, so both the team and Palmer did well, but you should not take too many conclusions from this game IMO.

Edited by robsblubot

Is playing no better than i expected to be honest,a new player needing to get used to playing with new players but doesn't have to make the leap to a new league and language so that has helped.think he can go up a few gears in future and chip in with goals himself.but a decent start.

Maybe we'll never find out why Pep was willing to let him go but won't be the first time a great side has let very good potentially great players leave. Strangest part for me was that he was never loaned out but maybe they just needed a decent fee for FFP. Much like we sell our homegrowns for same.

5 hours ago, Duppy Conqueror said:

Is playing no better than i expected to be honest,a new player needing to get used to playing with new players but doesn't have to make the leap to a new league and language so that has helped.think he can go up a few gears in future and chip in with goals himself.but a decent start.

Maybe we'll never find out why Pep was willing to let him go but won't be the first time a great side has let very good potentially great players leave. Strangest part for me was that he was never loaned out but maybe they just needed a decent fee for FFP. Much like we sell our homegrowns for same.

Yeah in terms of "development", a very overused word around here, I agree with you: he's way ahead. It's super hard to guess the ceiling of young players though, so I just think we are just excited to see some natural skill in his game: he's got an excellent first touch, and can hide the ball really well in tight spaces; I'd suggest he already defends well enough compared to other young players we've got. He can also see a pass in a forward position, so that's a pretty interesting combo right there.

I know Mudruk came from a diff country and all that, but despite the (very nice goal) he was pretty poor before and then after the goal. His overall play was just very *wasteful* which at this level is a pretty big deal. I hear folks asking for MUdryk minutes and I think he's VERY fortunate to have joined Chelsea at this time. With Mourinho, or other managers at different time, he'd not even see the bench.
Palmer on the other hand I feel can really get minutes under any manager and under any circumstances. No, we can't see how good he will become years from now, but I find refreshing that we have a young player who can actually get minutes, and actually deserve them.

Edited by robsblubot

1 hour ago, Strike said:

Dribbles with his head up. Looks exciting but Poch should take the Foden route with him and not  burn him out playing every week. 

Still think he needs to go for the kill though when he gets the ball in 1 on 1s, was a few times where he got the ball and instead of looking to beat his man came back inside or just slowed/stopped completely. Didn’t look to take full advantage of the situation. Was a few of these in the game v Brighton also. I know he’s not incredibly fast but he should of still took those opportunities. Thats the only complaint I have from last 2/3 matches after initially being unsure on his signing 

On 03/10/2023 at 16:09, robsblubot said:

Yeah in terms of "development", a very overused word around here, I agree with you: he's way ahead. It's super hard to guess the ceiling of young players though, so I just think we are just excited to see some natural skill in his game: he's got an excellent first touch, and can hide the ball really well in tight spaces; I'd suggest he already defends well enough compared to other young players we've got. He can also see a pass in a forward position, so that's a pretty interesting combo right there.

I know Mudruk came from a diff country and all that, but despite the (very nice goal) he was pretty poor before and then after the goal. His overall play was just very *wasteful* which at this level is a pretty big deal. I hear folks asking for MUdryk minutes and I think he's VERY fortunate to have joined Chelsea at this time. With Mourinho, or other managers at different time, he'd not even see the bench.
Palmer on the other hand I feel can really get minutes under any manager and under any circumstances. No, we can't see how good he will become years from now, but I find refreshing that we have a young player who can actually get minutes, and actually deserve them.

I feel it's a bit of a shame that we didn't get to see some of the more attack minded players given a chance with Poch.  I get that guys like RLC, Pulisic wanted the fresh start elsewhere but they would have been useful this season (especially with Enzo having a proper partner in midfield now). 

What I like about him is that he is a bit like an old fashioned no 10 who has his head up and looks for the pass forward but can also dribble and make space with a bit of skill. But he also has a little bit pace and extra height which will makes him more suited to the modern game than a 90ies style  10 like eriksen. He also has this nice shooting ability from mid range. What he is missing is a bit of strength and finishing from other ranges but he is young enough to iron that out. While I don’t see him as an absolute future world beater I can also not see him flopping. He will either become a decent player for us or if he remains streaky, there will be enough PL teams looking for experienced homegrown talent with a bit of extra skill& flair. 

jesus fucking christ!!!!!  🤬

Chelsea forward Cole Palmer suffers injury with England Under-21s

https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/12/Chelsea-forward-cole-palmer-suffers-injury-in-england-under-21s-9-1-win-19655866/?ito=newsnow-feed

Chelsea forward Cole Palmer suffered a thigh injury during England Under-21s’ 9-1 win over Serbia on Thursday evening.

The 21-year-old suffered the injury during the first half at the City Ground but was able to make it out for the second half with his right thigh bandaged.

However, Palmer was forced to pull up just six minutes into the second half after suffering further pain to his right thigh.

Palmer was able to walk off the pitch unaided and was seen removing the bandage as he made his way towards the touchline.

The forward is now a doubt for England Under-21s’ European Championship qualifier against Ukraine on Monday.

Speaking after his side’s win, England Under-21s head coach Lee Carsley said: ‘There are a few bumps and bruises and we will monitor Cole but we will not be taking any chances.’

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

jesus fucking christ!!!!!  🤬

Chelsea forward Cole Palmer suffers injury with England Under-21s

https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/12/Chelsea-forward-cole-palmer-suffers-injury-in-england-under-21s-9-1-win-19655866/?ito=newsnow-feed

Chelsea forward Cole Palmer suffered a thigh injury during England Under-21s’ 9-1 win over Serbia on Thursday evening.

The 21-year-old suffered the injury during the first half at the City Ground but was able to make it out for the second half with his right thigh bandaged.

However, Palmer was forced to pull up just six minutes into the second half after suffering further pain to his right thigh.

Palmer was able to walk off the pitch unaided and was seen removing the bandage as he made his way towards the touchline.

The forward is now a doubt for England Under-21s’ European Championship qualifier against Ukraine on Monday.

Speaking after his side’s win, England Under-21s head coach Lee Carsley said: ‘There are a few bumps and bruises and we will monitor Cole but we will not be taking any chances.’

Fortunately, seems just a dead leg. Hopefully he is rested from the U21's game against Ukraine so he can come back fully recovered with us.