20. Cole Palmer

ZAPHOD2319

8 minutes ago, bigbluewillie said:

Feel really sorry for the guy, ended up here with this bunch of losers when he could of gone to or stayed at a successful club.

He’ll be gone before long if we don’t sack poch and sell the trash 

1 hour ago, lucio said:

He’ll be gone before long if we don’t sack poch and sell the trash 

I think he actually likes Poch, tbh. It has more to do with our performances on the pitch that would see him leave, and rightfully so.

On 09/04/2024 at 04:18, bigbluewillie said:

We are a one man team.

Chelsea FC is nothing without Cole Palmer.

Tbf, Gusto is a good player and I still think there is a lot more to come from Colwill, James and Lavia. That said, we are dire in numerous areas and way overspent on far too many players. 

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Tbf, Gusto is a good player and I still think there is a lot more to come from Colwill, James and Lavia. That said, we are dire in numerous areas and way overspent on far too many players. 

The problem is our naturally more talented players (apart from palmer) are the ones ravaged by injuries. Based on natural ability alone I would consider Lavia, Carney, Malo, James, Nkunku, Chilwell and even Fofana far superior to their current back ups. So being without them (or them owing perma wrecked but still blocking a spot) for the majority of the season has probably cost us 15+ points. 

9 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

The problem is our naturally more talented players (apart from palmer) are the ones ravaged by injuries. Based on natural ability alone I would consider Lavia, Carney, Malo, James, Nkunku, Chilwell and even Fofana far superior to their current back ups. So being without them (or them owing perma wrecked but still blocking a spot) for the majority of the season has probably cost us 15+ points. 

True, with the caveat that Gusto and James play in the same position.

The right side is loaded, esp considering Palmer plays right wing or CAMp -- still unsure where I'd put him against better opposition. CAMs have a big target on their backs at all times.
He does seem like the complete package tho; he even reacts well to sliding tackles by not having his feet planted down hard when the tackle comes.

Nkunku, James, and Fofana (signing the latter esp for that amount made no sense) have a history of injuries, so it's not really a huge surprise. Some of the other players are so young that they don't have any history yet.

Wouldn't even say Palmer was playing at CAM. Looked like a ST or second striker. 

We can get away with playing a 4-2-4 against lower opposition but I've seen Palmer enough to say this was an anomaly. He usually struggles when playing centrally as opposed to RW. 

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Wouldn't even say Palmer was playing at CAM. Looked like a ST or second striker. 

We can get away with playing a 4-2-4 against lower opposition but I've seen Palmer enough to say this was an anomaly. He usually struggles when playing centrally as opposed to RW. 

Agreed. His best position in my book is on the right wing.

I'd actually describe his position today as a free role. He was free to roam, but played more centralized, and changed positions often. The danger when playing him so close to the opposition goal is to lose his creativity, which is something we do not have in abundance atm.

Edited by robsblubot

I sometimes read these KDB comparisons. And I get it, both are key players and the history with us giving the ginger away basically for free to bite us back is too obvious an analogy. But they are totally different players. Where KDB is a straightforward, driving force from midfield Cole palmer is more of a free roaming attacker. Yeah his passing too is spot on and he is creative but more of an artist than the crafter KDB. For me Palmer is way more exciting. A bit of a modern cruyff. A breed of footballer I thought had gone extinct. Unrestricted by a fixed single position he can exploit spaces and also thread it through the needle with his vast technical arsenal. A flick here, a backheel there but always with a purpose in mind. Hence most importantly he scores and makes goals. That is what will get the attention and bring us forward. He is a player we can build a team around if he stays fit. 

He comes from a team with a winning mentality  something that Chelsea does not have and he knows that he is a level above everyone else in the team .  But when citeh ask for him or another team playing in the CL they will sell him for a profit because he hardly wants to play in a team that can't even qualify in the top 6 for another season .

12 hours ago, robsblubot said:

True, with the caveat that Gusto and James play in the same position.

The right side is loaded, esp considering Palmer plays right wing or CAMp -- still unsure where I'd put him against better opposition. CAMs have a big target on their backs at all times.
He does seem like the complete package tho; he even reacts well to sliding tackles by not having his feet planted down hard when the tackle comes.

Nkunku, James, and Fofana (signing the latter esp for that amount made no sense) have a history of injuries, so it's not really a huge surprise. Some of the other players are so young that they don't have any history yet.

James can play CB and DMF as well. Imo, he should've been moved to DMF towards the end of last season. Either way we can get James and Gusto in the same team. 

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

I sometimes read these KDB comparisons. And I get it, both are key players and the history with us giving the ginger away basically for free to bite us back is too obvious an analogy. But they are totally different players. Where KDB is a straightforward, driving force from midfield Cole palmer is more of a free roaming attacker. Yeah his passing too is spot on and he is creative but more of an artist than the crafter KDB. For me Palmer is way more exciting. A bit of a modern cruyff. A breed of footballer I thought had gone extinct. Unrestricted by a fixed single position he can exploit spaces and also thread it through the needle with his vast technical arsenal. A flick here, a backheel there but always with a purpose in mind. Hence most importantly he scores and makes goals. That is what will get the attention and bring us forward. He is a player we can build a team around if he stays fit. 

I feel like he's more Foden than KDB.   That's what Pep was mentioning after being asked why they sold Palmer and he's like he didn't really want to sit and wait for minutes behind KDB/Foden. 

Just glad that we did sign him, what a talent.   Wonder if City have any talent at LB or Defensive midfield in their academy? 

I remember other forums and fans of our rivals laughing at us spending 40-ish million on a kid from City's academy....and now he's got 20 goals in the season!

11 hours ago, robsblubot said:

The danger when playing him so close to the opposition goal is to lose his creativity, which is something we do not have in abundance atm.

That would have been solved if Nkunku and Lavia could stay fit for 10 minutes....

How did we manage to blow that much on 3 players who all appear to be made of glass 🤬

what an amazing signing he turned out to be, great season so far, and we got him from City of all teams. This kid is definitely going far, if only he had a better team around him.

Edited by Johnnyeye

Cole Palmer leaving Man City was Pep’s biggest mistake

https://thedailybriefing.io/i/143735639/cole-palmer-leaving-man-city-was-peps-biggest-mistake

055ff615-5cbc-4f75-b3ab-e6cb8b6bda1d_331

Pep Guardiola said on Friday that Cole Palmer had been asking him for two seasons to leave Man City.

Burnley wanted Palmer on loan and Brighton were also interested in the player, but when Chelsea entered the race, it was impossible for other clubs to compete.

Palmer wanted to join Chelsea and Joe Shields played a crucial role in the deal as he knew Palmer from the Man City Academy.

He deserves huge praise for this move, and Palmer wanted to play on regular basis.