20. Cole Palmer

ZAPHOD2319

18 hours ago, King Kante said:

So happy we got this guy. First player since I can barely remember when I think we have brought a player who may end up as one of the best/most impactful players in the world in his position. 

The last part is probably a bit of a stretch nonetheless he is an absolute gem. Esp given the responsibility he shoulders at this young age. We are basically Palmer FC atm. 

4 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

The last part is probably a bit of a stretch nonetheless he is an absolute gem. Esp given the responsibility he shoulders at this young age. We are basically Palmer FC atm. 

By impactful I meant in terms of goals and assists, although I didn't make it obvious.

6 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

19 goals and 12 assists

Already a better first season than Hazard

In a far inferior squad too. I know I dissed Cold's signing at first due to frustration of our general transfer business, but the lad has well and truly made me eat my words (called him a City reject in a dismissive manner). I'm a believer now. 🥶❄️

Also, he is proof that you don't necessarily have to be shit in an average team. In that sense it's hard to make excuses for all the other players. You can blame Poch however much you want, Calm Palmer is proof that if you got it, you perform no matter what.

Edited by manpe

4 minutes ago, manpe said:

In a far inferior squad too. I know I dissed Cole's signing at first due to frustration of our general transfer business, but the lad has well and truly made me eat my words (called him a City reject in a dismissive manner). I'm a believer now. 🥶❄️

good point.

Could we perhaps put this guy in a Time Machine and send him back to a time where we had a good squad? just curious as to what he'd be able to do.

Or perhaps keep him in a freezer until we do? might be a while tho. 😅

10 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

19 goals and 12 assists

Already a better first season than Hazard

In Premier League, Hazard reached 16 goals in two seasons(16/17 and 18/19), never above. So one more goal from Cole and he surpasses, which is crazy.

If Palmer isn't already a household name, the onus is on the household to get with the times. We're looking at a man who could play a defining role in the next decade of English football and beyond. 

Not many 21 year olds brush aside Man Utd, but Palmer does what he likes. His hat-trick  against the Red Devils on Thursday night once again saw him stray into the headlines. 

Who is this seemingly shy, matter-of-fact chap, and what are his origins? Players like this don't just spawn out of the ether. 

As a child, Palmer wasn't running around in a Chelsea shirt or a City one - that would've been sacrilege. No, for him, the only shirt he wanted was wreathed with red. 

A photo from his childhood shows Palmer in one of United's old AON-sponsored jerseys. His idol at that age was Wayne Rooney. 

He said: 'What a player. When I was growing up I used to watch all the football and the one that sticks in my mind is Rooney.

'Ever since I was a little kid he has been my footballing hero.'

Something had to give when Palmer was scouted by Manchester City at the age of eight. Now he was behind enemy lines - but he still found a way to sneak in a tribute to his beloved club.

As grandfather Sterry said: 'When he first joined City, he used to wear a United shirt or some sort of United garment under his sky-blue shirt.

'He was a United fan but City offered the better set-up, they had the better training facilities and were able to better nurture his talent.

'The fact that he did support United never held him back, though. When City played against them at junior level, he used to absolutely smash them.

'Ever since he was knee-high, he's been mad keen on football and he'd run rings around the other kids. We knew he was special even back then.

'But he's worked hard, trained hard and just kept at it. But what you've seen from him now, just watch...there's more to come!'

Touching family videos show Palmer as a toddler bouncing and picking a ball round Wythenshawe's Hollyhedge Park as well as a couple of blistering goals taken during his schooldays.

In an interview in 2022 Palmer told how his first memories were about football.

He said of his daily trips to the park with his father: 'We would do that every single day whatever the weather - and my dad's family is from St Kitts and Nevis in the Caribbean. He hates going out in the cold. But he'd do it for me anyway.'

He also remembered his dad taking him to watch him play for his Sunday League team.

He said: 'He used to sit me down on the bag of balls on the sidelines, wrapped in one of his rain jackets. I would just take it all in - the crunching tackles, the shouting, the arguing.

'Dad doesn't play anymore since he done his knee, and I don't really remember any specific games, but he'll tell you how good he was!

'He fixes dental equipment as his real job, but to listen to him you'd think he'd had a 20-year career in the Premier League!'

On EURO Southgate should take Palmer, Saka, Foden, Gordon and maybe Bowen. Really no place for guys like Rashford and Grealish. Sterling and Mount not even worth mentioning. 

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

On EURO Southgate should take Palmer, Saka, Foden, Gordon and maybe Bowen. Really no place for guys like Rashford and Grealish. Sterling and Mount not even worth mentioning. 

Southgate will be loyal to players regardless of how they're playing, if at all. Maguire & Henderson are probably two names on the team sheet that really should have no place in going to Germany.

On 05/04/2024 at 23:15, nyikolajevics said:

In Premier League, Hazard reached 16 goals in two seasons(16/17 and 18/19), never above. So one more goal from Cole and he surpasses, which is crazy.

Biggest difference between Eden and Cole is that Cole shoots on sight. Haz was a shy shooter which was the most frustrating part of his game. Would be interesting to compare their shooting stats.

Never missed penalty but still has to fight every time with Sterling, Madueke... I blame Poch. He should make it clear our best player is pen taker!

5 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Never missed penalty but still has to fight every time with Sterling, Madueke... I blame Poch. He should make it clear our best player is pen taker!

Honestly think Poch is just a Spurs agent. How this is still being allowed to happen when Cole has buried every pens this season is beyond a joke. Feel like he just throws the team out there and says 'do your best'.