Chelsea 0-1 Nottm Forest

ZAPHOD2319

Sadly think we’ll continue to see the back 3 until Lavia is fit and ready to go. At least I hope that’ll be the end of it.

As for this match, I have no idea what to expect from Forest. I’ve watched them a couple of times so far this season and they’ve looked okay in spells and horrific in others. Their big #9 is an absolute handful in the same way that Michail Antonio is and as we saw a couple of weeks ago that kind of high energy, physical forward causes us issues. Gibbs-White is a threat as well.

They’ve signed so many damn players since just their last match that who the hell can know what to expect. They went up 0-2 at Old Trafford last weekend and then proceeded to get dominated and surrender meekly. There was a point in that match where the possession stats came up on the screen and it read 90% for United and Forest were pathetic.

Can see this being a super defensive Forest with lots of long balls up to the striker who will try to get isolated against Silva or Colwill. Park the bus, long balls, and Gibbs-White set pieces will be their game plan. Very similar to West Ham with Antonio and Ward-Prowse.

9 hours ago, Gundalf said:

Its not really a 4 at the back tho, but rather Colwill being LB and Chilwell being the left winger. 

Exactly, our defensive shape is 4-2-3-1 but we are attacking with 3 ATB which is the same thing we did for all of preseason too and the same as lots of top teams play (the 3-2-5 type setup). It is just the personnel in the system that is different to what we were seeing before and we don't look anywhere near as fluid or dangerous without Nkunku and with the introduction of Chilwell in this advanced role, he's good at some things but he's also fundamentally quite a limited player and it stifles us sometimes.

Colwill makes sense as a LB in these tactics tbh, as Poch is only asking one fullback (the RB at the mo) to really push forward, and if you want to pick a player who can defend 1v1s in the 4-2-3-1 shape but also help us build out from the back in the 3-2-5 then honestly Colwill is way better than Chilwell for that, as it really isn't a role for bombing down the wing in support like Chilly would excel at.

I do not think that Lavia coming back or any players coming back will change the 4-2-3-1 / 3-2-5 setup we have, this is literally Poch's system and he's going to stick by it & his principles and try to bring the players to a good level in it IMO. I actually do not know how he will play Enzo, Caicedo and Lavia together but my guess is that it will be by one of them playing somewhere we consider quite strange, like perhaps Caicedo playing a bit further forward like Kante did and being a pressing machine and winning the ball high up for us (e.g. the right side of the 4-2-3-1)