8. Enzo Fernandez

ZAPHOD2319

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

completely disagree with your rating Kyle Walker over Reece (IF Reece is healthy)

the health issues I give you, it is becoming a nightmare for Reece and thus us as a team

Raw talent is nothing when your on the bench 70% of the season, right now I would take walker over Reece all day long, atleast I know walker will be there and fit.

Edited by YorkshireBlue

• 2 weeks later...

After 1-0 defeat, Enzo Fernandez has now done something no other player in Europe has this season

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/club-news/after-1-0-defeat-enzo-fernandez-has-now-done-something-no-other-player-in-europe-has-this-season/

enzo fernandez chelsea

Chelsea have endured a tough start to the 2023/24 campaign – but there has been one very bright spark in Enzo Fernandez.

The Argentina international has shown exactly why Todd Boehly spent £106.8m to sign him from Benfica in January with some truly exceptional performances in the heart of midfield.

Despite being on the losing side against Nottingham Forest, Enzo Fernandez has now achieved something no other player in Europe has this season.

What’s the story?

Well, Mauricio Pochettino’s side looked devoid of ideas on Saturday.

However, Fernandez continued to test Nottingham Forest with progressive passes, with one even putting Nicolas Jackson through on goal – only for Joe Worrall to come in with a brilliant challenge.

Now – according to Squawka – the South American is one of just two players in Europe, alongside Joshua Kimmich, to have played over 40 passes into the final third, as well as more than 40 passes into the opposition box, so far this season.

The Bayern Munich No.6 is one of the best midfielders on the planet and has been for years, so it speaks volumes that the Chelsea No.8 is actually outdoing him in both departments.

While both Kimmich and Fernandez have made over 40 forward passes in both areas, the latter has actually played 66 balls into the final third and 47 into the box.

Kimmich – in comparison – has completed 45 passes into the final third, and 41 into the box, so actually, no other player in Europe is as forward thinking as Fernandez when it comes to passing this season.

Chelsea need to help Enzo Fernandez

Clearly, Chelsea have a very special player on their hands in Fernandez, but his immense creativity is not being supported by a clinical frontline.

For whatever reason, Pochettino’s current setup is not getting the likes of Nicolas Jackson and Raheem Sterling into goalscoring areas, despite Fernandez’s progressive passes putting the Blues into dangerous positions.

Having said that, a lot is new at Stamford Bridge right now, and it will take some time for everyone to get used to each other out on the pitch.

Report from Spain says he’s considering an early exit from the club if things don’t improve.

Not sure how true. Source is iffy at best - Fichajes.

https://www.fichajes.net/noticias/bombazo-enzo-fernandez-plantea-salida-Chelsea-20230906.html

9 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Report from Spain says he’s considering an early exit from the club if things don’t improve.

Not sure how true. Source is iffy at best - Fichajes.

https://www.fichajes.net/noticias/bombazo-enzo-fernandez-plantea-salida-Chelsea-20230906.html

Things would improve if he did not blast into the stands every shot he gets 

good luck with that early exit given the contract. 
this attitude if true , is exactly what I anticipated with signing all the weak ass gullible youngsters. You have one chance to hit the ground running to get them going. Fail and they will all start crying throwing their toys out and running to mama. This is exactly what will happen in the next few months 

Tbh any player with ambition would try to leave this shithouse if things dont improve. This aint about loyalty, we have everything to build exciting project that would keep them but the board is clueless and its going to happen sooner or later these players will want out. 

11 minutes ago, SomethingSomething said:

Tbh any player with ambition would try to leave this shithouse if things dont improve. This aint about loyalty, we have everything to build exciting project that would keep them but the board is clueless and its going to happen sooner or later these players will want out. 

We've played 4 games and I would say three very good players haven't even seen a minute of football yet (Nkunku, Badiashile, Lavia).   If things don't improve from here, then that's on Pochettino as much as the playing group.   He kept talking about winning during pre-season and now he's playing Colwill as a LB and Chilwell as a winger?   

Poch will face the same scrutiny as Lamps and Potter in a few months time if we keep seeing performances like Forest at home.  You're at home in front of your own fans, where's the energy, where's the attacking lineup to put them under pressure?    Instead you play Gallagher as a CM/DM and Chilwell as a winger. 

8 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

We've played 4 games and I would say three very good players haven't even seen a minute of football yet (Nkunku, Badiashile, Lavia).   If things don't improve from here, then that's on Pochettino as much as the playing group.   He kept talking about winning during pre-season and now he's playing Colwill as a LB and Chilwell as a winger?   

Poch will face the same scrutiny as Lamps and Potter in a few months time if we keep seeing performances like Forest at home.  You're at home in front of your own fans, where's the energy, where's the attacking lineup to put them under pressure?    Instead you play Gallagher as a CM/DM and Chilwell as a winger. 

Pretty much like with signings, we should target only the best that we can get, not every snowflake out there. Gvardiol instead of Fofana, proven CM instead of Lavia, proven winger instead of Palmer, proven GK instead of Sanchez etc.

Nagelsmann should be "get him at any cost" target. Poch has always been questionable results wise, but at least he should play attacking football, which is failing miserably atm. Dont know what happens to all our attacking ability, from forwards to manager. Its like they lose all their understanding of attacking once they join us. But its also true, results come when you have defensive stability. I guess they crumble under pressure.

I bet most players that suck attack wise here, would shine elsewhere in established systems or projects with actual understanding and goal.

Edited by SomethingSomething

I refuse to believe he is already thinking about exits but it wouldn't surprise me if he is.

He must be looking over at City, Arsenal then abroad at Madrid, Barca and think, why on Earth have I chosen Chelsea lol.

1 hour ago, DDA said:

I refuse to believe he is already thinking about exits but it wouldn't surprise me if he is.

He must be looking over at City, Arsenal then abroad at Madrid, Barca and think, why on Earth have I chosen Chelsea lol.

It was a clickbait article that created the rumor

Same article has a quote from Enzo saying how grateful he is to be part of Chelsea’s project. Sounds ironic, yes.

Absolutely piss poor yesterday if I’m honest.

Has the potential to be a great player but him playing as a 10 has to stop. Far too removed from the game, better slightly deeper, where he can touch the ball a lot more. Or even as a box to box midfielder in a 3.

Not sure if Poch playing him further up is tactical or just due to injuries. But even play Gallagher as a 10 and let Enzo play a bit deeper. You’d rather he got more touches of the ball than Connor so playing him much much more advanced seems a bit daft as he was barely involved.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Still want a lot lot more for him. Definitely has the capability to do more. 

He has been up and down all season after a promising first 6 months, he’s not really hit any real consistency this season - although I think he’s played a lot of football in the past year and may need a break. Plus neither has the team as a whole but both Enzo and Moises, for the money we’ve paid for them, they were huge statement signings - I don’t think it is wrong to expect more of them particularly.

Connor’s probably been our most improved and best midfielder this season under Poch. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

• 3 weeks later...

Argentine journalist Gaston Edul has reported that the 22-year-old is suffering from the 'beginning of pubalgia', with 'rest or treatment' needed to recover.

Pubalgia is a chronic groin lesion, with Lionel Messi speaking on the injury in 2019 and what it's like to deal with.

"Pubalgia is complicated. I suffer from it for a while now, I do little training and I can not play all the games," Messi said.