8. Enzo Fernandez

ZAPHOD2319

4 minutes ago, Vesper said:

You really are saying that BOTH Reece AND Thiago will each miss at least 70% of our games?

Tongue in cheek. I do suspect Reece's injuries to continue and Thiago to soon be a squad option once he's skinned a few times in a back 4. 

Thiago Silva will be new club captain I would think its safe to say. Considering he’s already wore the armband countless times here and for other clubs and country. 

Bit surprised to see Enzo’s name and the captaincy repeatedly mentioned, he’s been here for 6 months. 

I can see one of the likes of Reece, Ben, Kepa or Raheem maybe making up vice captain and another one being a “3rd captain” as such. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, James said:

Brilliant yesterday! 

1de49e1f-a993-41df-bf63-fbebd8289d9b.jpeg

He was unplayable, I haven't seen any one do what he did yesterday in a Chelsea shirt for a long time, he was everywhere and playing him further up the pitch is a master class.

Lavia

Caicedo.                   Enzo 

If this happens it will be one of, if not the best midfield in the league.

Edited by YorkshireBlue

Looking forward to seeing a completely unleashed Enzo. Hope he appreciates what the club has done for him! Almost got into a fist fight to get him here and then we cucked TF out of Liverpool to get him the midfield partners he needs. Big bet on this lad but with great odds!

What's amazing is he could still grow a lot, if he can add goals to his game (and with his technique why not?) he could genuinely be the best CM of the next 10 years and one of the all time greats.

13 hours ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Couldn't lace KDB boots according to Danny Murphy 🤣🤣 

No midfielder in the world could really though when he plays he is so good so he has a point although “couldn’t lace his boots” is a bit of a over exaggeration as Enzo is at a pretty good level - still has time to grow too.

The two of KDB and Luka Modric are still exceptional and the best out there albeit different players, realistically nobody is that close to them.

I think Murphy was critical of our spending on that TalkSport interview and wanted to point out nobody we’ve signed would of gotten into Man City’s team (not sure was it this seasons or last seasons treble winning team) barring Chilwell.

I do think Enzo would do so and Thiago Silva but not entirely sure about anybody else. Kovacic did go there right enough too.. Would say there is a bit of bitterness from him though bet if Liverpool signed the two of Enzo and Moises be a different story. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

6 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

No midfielder in the world could really though when he plays he is so good so he has a point although “couldn’t lace his boots” is a bit of a over exaggeration as Enzo is at a pretty good level - still has time to grow too.

The two of KDB and Luka Modric are still exceptional and the best out there albeit different players, realistically nobody is that close to them.

I think Murphy was critical of our spending on that TalkSport interview and wanted to point out nobody we’ve signed would of gotten into Man City’s team (not sure was it this seasons or last seasons treble winning team) barring Chilwell.

I do think Enzo would do so and Thiago Silva but not entirely sure about anybody else. Kovacic did go there right enough too.. Would say there is a bit of bitterness from him though bet if Liverpool signed the two of Enzo and Moises be a different story. 

A healthy Reece James is the starting RB for every (literally all, even PSG with Hakimi, who is not nearly the defensive player Reece is) team on the planet.

14 hours ago, Vesper said:

A healthy Reece James is the starting RB for every (literally all, even PSG with Hakimi, who is not nearly the defensive player Reece is) team on the planet.

Not completely as I think Walker still does an impressive job for City despite getting on a bit.

His longevity has impressed me, I thought he’d be done after 2/3 seasons under Pep.  Plus defensively he’s actually really really solid also.

Reece needs to get that consistency and fitness sorted. Hopefully it comes this season.

On 18/08/2023 at 18:13, OneMoSalah said:

Not completely as I think Walker still does an impressive job for City despite getting on a bit.

His longevity has impressed me, I thought he’d be done after 2/3 seasons under Pep.  Plus defensively he’s actually really really solid also.

Reece needs to get that consistency and fitness sorted. Hopefully it comes this season.

IF Reece was 100% healthy, there is ZERO chance Pep would not have him as his starting RB

Pep has publicly bitched (a rare thing for him) about Walker

I think we are starting to forget just what a force Reece, pre injury, was

he was a threat to score or assist EVERY time the ball came to him on the right

and his defence was superb

the only RB even near him then was Hakimi, and Hakimi is not at 'healthy Recce' level on defence (he is pacier though, as in Walker pacey)

28 minutes ago, Vesper said:

IF Reece was 100% healthy, there is ZERO chance Pep would not have him as his starting RB

Pep has publicly bitched (a rare thing for him) about Walker

I think we are starting to forget just what a force Reece, pre injury, was

he was a threat to score or assist EVERY time the ball came to him on the right

and his defence was superb

the only RB even near him then was Hakimi, and Hakimi is not at 'healthy Recce' level on defence (he is pacier though, as in Walker pacey)

Maybe but still think Walker is as close/as good as most of the RBs these days.

Pep said about him not being able to play in his system but still has/will pick him pretty regularly. He has also got/is getting rid of Joao Cancelo, who was pretty outstanding for them 2 seasons ago and probably would of been contender for the best right or left fullback in Europe at that time.

Would say Walker edges Reece playing in a back 4, defensively at least thats for sure. Its no surprise Reece has always been much better as a wingback when we’ve lined up with a back 3, particularly with Tuchel. And you could see it again v Liverpool, when he’s got a bit of protection behind him, it allows him to engage higher up the pitch and also means that he or the team isn’t necessarily as exposed as he could be caught in these positions in a 4. RJ is really solid in 1 v 1s though but Walker is just as good if not better there too. Reece has got time to go another level or two yet though where as Walker will wind down eventually.

Like I said surprised at Walker’s longevity. Thought he would struggle after 2/3 years with Pep and be replaced ironically by the likes of Hakimi or even Kimmich or someone now with this insistence on using inverted fullbacks. But has looked after himself well and would not be surprised if he is still playing regularly for another 2 seasons (including this one just started) there.

Edited by OneMoSalah

36 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Maybe but still think Walker is as close/as good as most of the RBs these days.

Pep said about him not being able to play in his system but still has/will pick him pretty regularly. He has also got/is getting rid of Joao Cancelo, who was pretty outstanding for them 2 seasons ago and probably would of been contender for the best right or left fullback in Europe at that time.

Would say Walker edges Reece playing in a back 4, defensively at least thats for sure. Its no surprise Reece has always been much better as a wingback when we’ve lined up with a back 3, particularly with Tuchel. And you could see it again v Liverpool, when he’s got a bit of protection behind him, it allows him to engage higher up the pitch and also means that he or the team isn’t necessarily as exposed as he could be caught in these positions in a 4. RJ is really solid in 1 v 1s though but Walker is just as good if not better there too. Reece has got time to go another level or two yet though where as Walker will wind down eventually.

Like I said surprised at Walker’s longevity. Thought he would struggle after 2/3 years with Pep and be replaced ironically by the likes of Hakimi or even Kimmich or someone now with this insistence on using inverted fullbacks. But has looked after himself well and would not be surprised if he is still playing regularly for another 2 seasons (including this one just started) there.

completely disagree with your rating Kyle Walker over Reece (IF Reece is healthy)

the health issues I give you, it is becoming a nightmare for Reece and thus us as a team