Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

James Madison was available, but we said no, he's too old for our new project, let's get some Brazilian kids for our Multiclub project and Cole Palmer instead. We have Chalobah nahh let's freeze him  if he won't leave and get Disasi.

Cucurella frozen , get rid of Hall , Colwill LB  , Chilwell winger .

This club is chaos . 

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Antonio Silva

he is the best CB available already IMHO, despite his young age, and is right -footed

he is likely going to be a world class star

he gives me Tchou vibes

I did also list some other right footed CB options as well, older and more experienced, but Silva is going to be special I reckon

As I have extensively shown,, in great depth, there is thus myth that there are all these great experienced older (over 26) players out there for the taking who are actually available and good enough to drop big money on

it is bullshit to be blunt

one of the very few happens to be the exact same position as Silva (Skriniar)

we could have had him on the cheap (and earlier we could have had him for around the same as we dumped on the likely permaonjured Fofana. who I said hell no to) and fucked it off

my track record for players I say buy buy buy over the past few years is far more hits than misses, and many of them are big hits

all of these were targets/major wants in most cases of mine before they blew up or when we could have swooped for them as a major buy (Skriniar is a perfect example of the latter)

Jude Bellingham 
Victor Osimhen 
Jamal Musiala (was so unhappy when he left us)
Rafael Leão  
Eduardo Camavinga 
Florian Wirtz  (I was the first one here to mention him, over 3 years ago)
Aurélien Tchouaméni    
Josko Gvardiol 
Nicolò Barella  
Bruno Guimarães 
Ronald Araújo 
Nuno Mendes  
Achraf Hakimi   
Theo Hernández  
Alessandro Bastoni   
Dominik Szoboszlai 
Sandro Tonali  
Moussa Diaby 
Milan Skriniar 
António Silva 
Lucas Paquetá  
Bremer  
Nico Schlotterbeck 
Federico Chiesa  (from Fiorentina days)
Jan Oblak  (for ages)  

Chelsea

• Chelsea had a busy summer and there were even more players they nearly signed!

• Chelsea remain on just six wins in all competitions in 2023 following yesterday’s 0-0 draw away to Bournemouth.

• Mauricio Pochettino: “The fans are disappointed because of the situation but I am not worried about that. I say that because we really know what we are doing — we deserved to win.”

• Pochettino on Moises Caicedo not featuring yesterday: “Caicedo arrived back with a knock in his knee. We need to assess him in the next few days but he wasn’t available for today, that’s why he not here.”

• Pochettino on other players not selected: “So, Cucurella was not available due to fever. He was ill. Noni Madueke came from the national team with a muscle problem.”

• Pochettino on Mykhaylo Mudryk: “He is improving. He still needs to learn, he needs time. Mudryk needs to understand the game better — and try to be more connected sometimes with the team. We need to give the time and tools for him to improve.”

Chelsea and the deals that nearly happened

We know it was a very busy summer for Chelsea, with a number of young players coming in for the long-term project. We know it will take time for the club and for Mauricio Pochettino to build a squad and to have the results they want.

On top of that, many players were offered to Chelsea this summer. It is absolutely normal for clubs to offer players to other clubs, or for this to be done via agents and intermediaries. Many deals were proposed to Chelsea in terms of ins and outs, for example - Marcelo Brozovic was one player offered to the Blues before he moved to Al Nassr. There were some conversations between Chelsea and Inter for Andre Onana, before he went to Manchester United, as he was one of the players discussed as part of a possible deal for Kalidou Koulibaly. In the end, Chelsea decided not to proceed, and both Brozovic and Koulibaly ended up making moves to Saudi Arabia.

Marco Verratti was also a possibility for Chelsea - he was discussed with many clubs around Europe, but because of his salary and because PSG wanted really important money, something close to €45m, Chelsea decided to go for a different kind of midfielder, both in terms of skills and in terms of age - they preferred to go for Moises Caicedo and Romeo Lavia, while they also had Enzo Fernandez.

We also know that Dusan Vlahovic was offered to Chelsea in the month of July and Chelsea said no, but then in August Chelsea decided to think again about that in a swap deal for Romelu Lukaku, but Chelsea decided against paying €40m plus Lukaku for Vlahovic. Mauricio Pochettino was also not entirely convinced about this deal, so not just the board but also the manager decided against this deal.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fcf963fc8-ce2a-4ca8-85b1-8ccce7649b76_2560x1707.jpeg

Towards the end of the summer, AC Milan approached Chelsea over a potential loan deal with buy option for Armando Broja, but the decision from Chelsea was to keep the striker and to have him and Nicolas Jackson together in the squad in that position.

We also know that Liverpool and Brighton wanted Levi Colwill. Liverpool were prepared to make an important proposal for Colwill in case they had a green light from Chelsea, but that was never a possibility because from day one of the transfer window Chelsea made it very clear that it was not possible to negotiate for the player, who was not for sale. And in the end he extended his contract at Stamford Bridge.

Away from Chelsea, another deal that nearly happened this summer was Lucas Paqueta, who was targeted by Manchester City. Of course clubs are now waiting to see the end of the investigation story. Newcastle were also interested back in May, but then they never sent proposals as their focus was on Sandro Tonali. Manchester City always appreciated Paqueta but they invested money on Matheus Nunes, big money; so at the moment they’re not planning for that move in January.

On 02/09/2023 at 00:13, mkh said:

It was a pity that the following players could no longer be sold or loaned out.
Cucurella, Chalobah, Washington, Sarr, Bergström, Cumming, Gilchrist, D.Williams, Tauriainen

Alfie Gilchrist signs new Chelsea contract ahead of potential January exit

Sheffield United were keen on move for 19-year-old this summer

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/alfie-gilchrist-Chelsea-fc-transfer-news-2023-b1107835.html

Chelsea defender Alfie Gilchrist has extended his contract at Chelsea by a further year until June 2025.

The 19-year-old was an unused substitute on Sunday as Chelsea drew 0-0 with Bournemouth at the Vitality Stadium.

Mauricio Pochettino is well aware of his Blues Under-21s captain already having taken him on a pre-season tour of the United States.

Gilchrist has yet to make his debut in an official senior match but played around 75 minutes under his new manager in warm up matches this summer.

Chelsea have opted to tie down Gilchrist to a new contract having fielded interest from Sheffield United over a permanent transfer this summer.

READ MORE

Gilchrist also had loan interest and could look again at a temporary move in January when the transfer window opens.

The central defender was signed from Queens Park Rangers at Under-11 level and comes from a family of Chelsea supporters.

He was nominated for PL2 Player of the Year last season and was first named on the bench for the first team under Frank Lampard last season, at Old Trafford.

Edited by Vesper

Chelsea view Giorgi Mamardashvili as top target

https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2023/09/19/Chelsea-view-giorgi-mamardashvili-as-top-target/

Chelsea maintains an interest in Giorgio Mamardashvili, as they could reportedly target a new goalkeeper in the new window.

73f531cae77688abd9a8c11a4b3de0bd.png

According to 90 Min, Chelsea are increasingly looking likely to target a new goalkeeper and have added Giorgio Mamardashvili to their shortlist. The 22-year-old La Liga star who plays his trade with Valencia remains a possibility, but any move will depend on his asking price.

Giorgio Mamardashvili has silently made his mark as an important player for Valencia since joining the club. The Georgian has had a good spell with Los Che, which attracted the interest of many top-rated clubs during the recently closed summer window.

Mamardashvili packs energy into his game and could bring the quality of modern keepers. Top teams are increasingly looking for stoppers who have more attributes in them than only the basics. Chelsea was keen before the summer window but chose to take a different path.

In fact, they chose to overhaul their goalkeeping personnel after selling Edouard Mendy to Saudi Arabia and sending Kepa Arrizabalaga to Real Madrid on loan. The latter departure wasn’t planned, and in the aftermath, they signed Djorde Petrovic.

Robert Sanchez arrived from Brighton in a £25 million deal. He replaced Kepa as Chelsea’s No.1. However, the Spaniard has been far from convincing so far, as Chelsea have struggled for relevance since the start of the current season.

The report names many keepers as part of their potential shortlist. The story increasingly points at the possibility of a new keeper arriving in the next window. Coincidentally, the Daily Mail’s Sami Mokbel also linked them with a move for Arsenal star Aaron Ramsdale, with the England international’s place now threatened by David Raya.

On Mamardashvili, the 22-year-old La Liga star attracted the interest of top clubs. Those included Real Madrid, who reportedly failed with a move in the aftermath of Thibaut Courtois’ injury. However, Chelsea are also keen on the Valencia star.

Valencia reportedly put him up for sale in a bid to generate funds during the previous window. For their asking price, no club showed an interest in signing Mamardashvili, but the possibilities of a future departure remain intact.

Chelsea could explore a move for the Georgian in the next window, but that will depend on his asking price. Moreover, they could also evaluate how Sanchez performs between now and January to determine if signing a new stopper is an absolute necessity.

Thomas Frank says Brentford would be open to selling Chelsea target Ivan Toney ‘if the price is right’

https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/18/brentford-boss-thomas-frank-sends-message-to-Chelsea-over-ivan-toney-transfer-19519291/

Thomas Frank admits Brentford would be open to selling Chelsea target Ivan Toney in the January transfer window ‘if the right price is there’.

Ivan Toney of Brentford celebrates after scoring their team's first goal during the Premier League match between Manchester City and Brentford

Toney scored 20 goals in the Premier League last season but is currently serving an eight-month ban after he accepted 232 breaches of the Football Association’s rules on betting.

The 27-year-old returned to training with Brentford on Monday but is unavailable to play until January 16, 2024.

Chelsea, meanwhile, are considering a move for Toney as they look to provide a another boost to Mauricio Pochettino’s attacking options in the January window.

And Frank believes Brentford would be open to a deal if Chelsea meet their asking price.

‘So far we’ve only sold one in the Premier League, that was David Raya – or that’s a loan but probably will be a sale in the future, I guess,’ Frank said on Sky Sports’ Monday Night Football.

‘I think every club in the world are a selling club except five or six clubs. We are a selling club, if the right price is there.

‘I think if it’s the right time for the player to go, from my perspective that’s not my decision that would be Phil [Giles, director of football] or Matthew [Benham, Brentford’s owner] in the end, then I think if they have developed well with us, been on the journey, and now they’re proven good enough to go to the top clubs, then I think it’s the right thing, if it’s the right price.’

Asked if that applies to Toney, Frank replied: ‘Yeah, I think so. I understand why there are a lot of rumours out there about him.

‘For me he’s one of the best strikers, as a striker No.9, I don’t see many out there who is better in the world than him, of course you have [Harry] Kane, [Robert] Lewandowski, [Erling] Haaland and these types, but not many.

‘He scored 20 goals in the Premier League last year, in, of course, a very good Brentford side but of course we are not creating as many chances as the top six or seven teams.

‘So imagine him in a top team, he’d easily score 20, 25 goals, for me. I think he’s composed, he’s a good finisher, top mentality, so I understand why clubs are looking at him.

‘But he’s a Brentford player now, and if people want to come… in today’s market, the price for No.6 position players, we all know goalscorer or attackers are the most expensive ones. I guess that would be very expensive, unless it has changed and you pay more for a No.6 than a striker, I don’t know.’

Asked if he expects to receive offers for Toney in January, Frank replied: ‘Yeah, again, I’m just focusing on him.

‘I had a long meeting with him today, first day back in training so good to have him in. We just presented the plan for him and try to create the Ivan Toney 2.0, the beast, he’s on board and he’s looking forward to it.’

15 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Chelsea view Giorgi Mamardashvili as top target

https://thehardtackle.com/transfer-news/2023/09/19/Chelsea-view-giorgi-mamardashvili-as-top-target/

Chelsea maintains an interest in Giorgio Mamardashvili, as they could reportedly target a new goalkeeper in the new window.

73f531cae77688abd9a8c11a4b3de0bd.png

According to 90 Min, Chelsea are increasingly looking likely to target a new goalkeeper and have added Giorgio Mamardashvili to their shortlist. The 22-year-old La Liga star who plays his trade with Valencia remains a possibility, but any move will depend on his asking price.

Giorgio Mamardashvili has silently made his mark as an important player for Valencia since joining the club. The Georgian has had a good spell with Los Che, which attracted the interest of many top-rated clubs during the recently closed summer window.

Mamardashvili packs energy into his game and could bring the quality of modern keepers. Top teams are increasingly looking for stoppers who have more attributes in them than only the basics. Chelsea was keen before the summer window but chose to take a different path.

In fact, they chose to overhaul their goalkeeping personnel after selling Edouard Mendy to Saudi Arabia and sending Kepa Arrizabalaga to Real Madrid on loan. The latter departure wasn’t planned, and in the aftermath, they signed Djorde Petrovic.

Robert Sanchez arrived from Brighton in a £25 million deal. He replaced Kepa as Chelsea’s No.1. However, the Spaniard has been far from convincing so far, as Chelsea have struggled for relevance since the start of the current season.

The report names many keepers as part of their potential shortlist. The story increasingly points at the possibility of a new keeper arriving in the next window. Coincidentally, the Daily Mail’s Sami Mokbel also linked them with a move for Arsenal star Aaron Ramsdale, with the England international’s place now threatened by David Raya.

On Mamardashvili, the 22-year-old La Liga star attracted the interest of top clubs. Those included Real Madrid, who reportedly failed with a move in the aftermath of Thibaut Courtois’ injury. However, Chelsea are also keen on the Valencia star.

Valencia reportedly put him up for sale in a bid to generate funds during the previous window. For their asking price, no club showed an interest in signing Mamardashvili, but the possibilities of a future departure remain intact.

Chelsea could explore a move for the Georgian in the next window, but that will depend on his asking price. Moreover, they could also evaluate how Sanchez performs between now and January to determine if signing a new stopper is an absolute necessity.

Should have got him in this past window itself.

Quite a few of us have said about Toney multiple times, we’d be mad not to get him in but I do have concerns over the price and it being dragged out over the whole of Jan. £60m is a fair price considering what’s happened, age etc.

That said, his attitude is questionable off the pitch of course but on the pitch I think he brings the bite we need to our young squad. Desperately missing leaders.

2 hours ago, Strike said:

More often the data gives you athletic players who play safe, have high pass % not necessarily the players who try risky passes and have the ability to weigh it just right and create chances. 

You would think there would be enough data out there to find those "creative" players.   Even when us and a whole host of other clubs were keen on Hazard, it was pretty clear from watching him and seeing his data/stats at Lille that he was on his way to becoming a top player. 

The real concern is that there was only 1 plan heading into this season and that revolved around Nkunku, Reece being fit for the most part.  With both players out for an extended period of time, we have no cutting edge in attack and we're sort of crossing our fingers and hoping that Sterling scores a goal or Jackson finally takes a chance in front of goal (had two massive opportunities to get goals against West Ham & Forest....both games we should not have lost). 

1 hour ago, DH1988 said:

Quite a few of us have said about Toney multiple times, we’d be mad not to get him in but I do have concerns over the price and it being dragged out over the whole of Jan. £60m is a fair price considering what’s happened, age etc.

That said, his attitude is questionable off the pitch of course but on the pitch I think he brings the bite we need to our young squad. Desperately missing leaders.

Didn't he go on an interview recently and suggest that his preference would be Arsenal/Liverpool or something along those lines.   Not sure we need another player who doesn't want to be here.  

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

You would think there would be enough data out there to find those "creative" players.   Even when us and a whole host of other clubs were keen on Hazard, it was pretty clear from watching him and seeing his data/stats at Lille that he was on his way to becoming a top player. 

The real concern is that there was only 1 plan heading into this season and that revolved around Nkunku, Reece being fit for the most part.  With both players out for an extended period of time, we have no cutting edge in attack and we're sort of crossing our fingers and hoping that Sterling scores a goal or Jackson finally takes a chance in front of goal (had two massive opportunities to get goals against West Ham & Forest....both games we should not have lost). 

After spending £1bn in 3 windows to be relying solely on guys like Thiago, Chilly, Sterling, Reece and Nkunku to carry the squad due to a lack of proven quality and top club level experience is an incredibly shit footballing vision/strategy.

I don’t get what these sporting directors thought was going to happen by recruiting all these kids, particularly when things get tough, it’s absolutely mind blowing.

Their jobs should be on the line come the summer if we are still in the same place in my opinion. Could you imagine the directors at City or Liverpool coming up with this strategy? Fuck no. Or at any other relatively big, well run club? Not a chance. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

Is it not ironic? All our attackers play like shit, we did not score 2 games, meanwhile some of the attackers we could have just this weekend did this:

Vlahovic 2 goals

Lukaku 1 goal

Dybala 2 goals

CHO 1 goal

Felix 1 goal

Angelo MOTM

6 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Is it not ironic? All our attackers play like shit, we did not score 2 games, meanwhile some of the attackers we could have just this weekend did this:

Vlahovic 2 goals

Lukaku 1 goal

Dybala 2 goals

CHO 1 goal

Felix 1 goal

Angelo MOTM

Lukaku & Vlahovic can bang them in in Italy all season but Lukaku alone coming back here is proof that footballers can score a lot of goals over there and struggle here. £40m and Lukaku for Vlahovic was an interesting deal maybe but fuck knows. Could easily have been a dud. Known our luck.

On Dybala, for the €12m he would of cost - his age, experience, trophy haul, leadership qualities (captaining Juventus on multiple occasions)… I think it was a big mistake to have not tried to sign him. Creative and a goalscorer. Good set play taker. Left footed. Injury record maybe his only downfall. But €12mn - hardly a catastrophe. Although there were the usual “why isn’t he pushing for a move” naysayers when he in fact had a release clause…. that we didn’t even trigger…. 

Felix never convinced at Atletico or here in a lot of minutes. 1 goal for Barca in a game where they won 5-0 against an utterly shambolic Real Betis doesn’t change that. Talent there but not enough substance. Not what we need considering we have about 4 players who can be described the same way.

CHO could/should have been given a chance here ahead of signing Mudryk (probably) but meh he wouldn’t have gotten us much further.

Angelo again, 1 goal, hardly as if he was going to contribute heavily to this team was he?

And again the big one. Its all what ifs.

36 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

After spending £1bn in 3 windows to be relying solely on guys like Thiago, Chilly, Sterling, Reece and Nkunku to carry the squad due to a lack of proven quality and top club level experience is an incredibly shit footballing vision/strategy.

I don’t get what these sporting directors thought was going to happen by recruiting all these kids, particularly when things get tough, it’s absolutely mind blowing.

Their jobs should be on the line come the summer if we are still in the same place in my opinion. Could you imagine the directors at City or Liverpool coming up with this strategy? Fuck no. Or at any other relatively big, well run club? Not a chance. 

I suspect the high-level strategy is a Boehly / Eghbali strategy, probably one they already had in mind before acquisition as part of their mission / vision for the new Chelsea that they sold to their fellow investors. Then the team they have hired (PW/LS etc) is the group of people they think can execute their strategy to deliver short/medium/long term success within the scope of the company values and mission they have defined.

Of course, you can argue that Poch, PW, LS etc should have found a way to make a winning squad with the amount of money available in summer and money was spent excessively in the wrong areas (e.g. Caicedo+Lavia for huge fees vs finding a cheap supporting option for Enzo - like just buy Ugo, keep Andrey Santos, and then spend the rest of that money on buying goals)

Edited by Mhsc