Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

I honestly think we should just move on. I haven't been sold on Caicedo full stop, let alone for £70m+. The guy has had one good season. Additionally, Brighton always feck us over. A big concern for me, is that he couldn't even pin down his preferred position in the that Brighton side last season. I am not saying he is rubbish but whilst some people are seeing a heir to Kante, I can also see an heir to Ramires. He needs a much bigger body of work to be commanding £70m+. 

Where that leaves us however, is in a massive hole as we've spent so much time on trying to get him. For me, if we do have such money for a fee floating about we should now start trying to go for a Tchou or Barella. If those players are also impossible, maybe look at Lavia - although I see him being too far down the line with Liverpool. 

The next option for me, would be to switch Reece to DM and look at Livra or even roll with Maatsen a a utility player for RB/LB/AM - he has already made comments about being willing keep his head down to get opportunities so he may be up for that. The only issue here is it may cause issues with Reece as we don't know what his postion is on it. 

If the latter is the option that we go with, then find a No.8 and let's actually get a GK who is capable of commanding their area. 

Edited by King Kante

53 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I honestly think we should just move on. I haven't been sold on Caicedo full stop, let alone for £70m+. The guy has had one good season. Additionally, Brighton always feck us over. A big concern for me, is that he couldn't even pin down his preferred position in the that Brighton side last season. I am not saying he is rubbish but whilst some people are seeing a heir to Kante, I can also see an heir to Ramires. He needs a much bigger body of work to be commanding £70m+. 

Where that leaves us however, is in a massive hole as we've spent so much time on trying to get him. For me, if we do have such money for a fee floating about we should now start trying to go for a Tchou or Barella. If those players are also impossible, maybe look at Lavia - although I see him being too far down the line with Liverpool. 

The next option for me, would be to switch Reece to DM and look at Livra or even roll with Maatsen a a utility player for RB/LB/AM - he has already made comments about being willing keep his head down to get opportunities so he may be up for that. The only issue here is it may cause issues with Reece as we don't know what his postion is on it. 

If the latter is the option that we go with, then find a No.8 and let's actually get a GK who is capable of commanding their area. 

It's a shame that we didn't seriously look at Barella whilst Inter were trying to negotiate for Lakaka. 

I really don't see us getting a DM now

2 minutes ago, ulvhedin said:

I am curious was there any hints that James will be playing as CDM or is it pure fantasy based on the fact he played 13 matches on this position in Wigan 5 years ago?

I am 100% sure this is pure speculation.

Have a feeling we will get Caicedo but spending 100m on him is lunacy. Having two 100m midfielders, you better win something. The pressure on the players and manager will be immense.

40 minutes ago, ulvhedin said:

I am curious was there any hints that James will be playing as CDM or is it pure fantasy based on the fact he played 13 matches on this position in Wigan 5 years ago?

James played in a various positions for the development sides as we had Lampty and Livra coming through at the same time. Additionally, and this is admittedly me making some suppositions. He has had a lot of problems with his joints. For me, this is principally due to him having such a powerful/big build for his size. He isn't really built to be a sprinter/runner. For me, if he went to CDM it would aide his longevity. In addition to this, I feel James is one of those players where you can put him in any position and he will be great - he did this in the development sides - think of Rooney who could play AM, CF, CM. Lastly, we also have Gusto now who looks promising, however if James stays at RB he isn't getting a game expect for when he is injured or needs a rest. 

For me, moving James to CDM makes a lot of sense, even if we haven't seen it yet. This of course would be a bit of an experiment, however as we don't have Europe next season, I think this is the perfect time to try. I mean, let's also member, before he became a CDM Maka was a AM for the first period of his career. 

Edited by King Kante

10 minutes ago, DDA said:

Have a feeling we will get Caicedo but spending 100m on him is lunacy. Having two 100m midfielders, you better win something. The pressure on the players and manager will be immense.

Yeah, same feeling here. I think we’ve backed ourselves into a corner where we’ve put all of our eggs in this basket. He’s nowhere close to a £100m player but we cannot miss out on CL qualification again. If the club feel that Caicedo will make the difference between finishing top 4 or not then I guess we can justify the massive overpay.

16 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Yeah, same feeling here. I think we’ve backed ourselves into a corner where we’ve put all of our eggs in this basket. He’s nowhere close to a £100m player but we cannot miss out on CL qualification again. If the club feel that Caicedo will make the difference between finishing top 4 or not then I guess we can justify the massive overpay.

It's a weird one because in one way the club are doing the right thing with being cautious of overpaying for a player that's only had one good season in the Prem but at the same time they have wasted too much time on him leaving us extremely limited options. We'll I say limited options because we are only being linked with him and Lavia... when in reality there is a whole World of footballers out there to be chosen from.... I think the club wait for one of the big 6 to go for a player before registering interest in that particular player. 

Edited by DDA

5 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Imagine if Man City had wanted him - the whole thing would have been done and dusted in 48 hours

Wrong. City is in the same situation with Gvardiol. Leipzig wanting 100m, City doesnt wanna pay this, negotiations still ongoing till now. 

This window is the window of dragging transfers:

• Hojlund to United
  • Vlahovic to PSG
  • Gvardiol to City
  • Kane to Bayern

etc, etc. 

Edited by Gundalf

2 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

Wrong. City is in the same situation with Gvardiol. Leipzig wanting 100m, City doesnt wanna pay this, negotiations still ongoing till now. 

• Hojlund to United
  • Vlahovic to PSG
  • Gvardiol to City
  • Kane to Bayern

etc, etc. 

Do PSG really want Vlahovic, though?

There's been talk about them bidding for Hojlund, so I'd say he's just another option for them.

7 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

• Hojlund to United
  • Vlahovic to PSG
  • Gvardiol to City
  • Kane to Bayern

etc, etc. 

They have an immense squad in place, all positions catered for. Most players they want they get tout suite, as we did in 2004. they can afford to prevaricate and haggle. We cant

8 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

Do PSG really want Vlahovic, though?

There's been talk about them bidding for Hojlund, so I'd say he's just another option for them.

Ok lets say striker. Its deep into preseason and so far

• PSG has no striker
  • United has no real striker
  • Bayern has no striker
  • Liverpool has no DM
  • we dont have a DM

Its not like these club are just negotiating for additions, they desperately need certain players and still there are just negotiations and no moves. 

6 minutes ago, Gundalf said:

Ok lets say striker. Its deep into preseason and so far

• PSG has no striker
  • United has no real striker
  • Bayern has no striker
  • Liverpool has no DM
  • we dont have a DM

Its not like these club are just negotiating for additions, they desperately need certain players and still there are just negotiations and no moves. 

PSG has done a fair bit of business already, and Liverpool has made two notable midfield signings. 

I can't speak about what plans other clubs have, but we seem set on Caicedo for some stupid reason at this point instead of keeping our options open. The market isn't that small, especially if we're willing to drop £80-100m.

Just now, LAM09 said:

PSG has done a fair bit of business already, and Liverpool has made two notable midfield signings. 

I can't speak about what plans other clubs have, but we seem set on Caicedo for some stupid reason at this point instead of keeping our options open. The market isn't that small, especially if we're willing to drop £80-100m.

We have done a lot as well. Boosted our attack a lot with Jackson, Nkunku and Angelo (even if he goes on loan), gave our defense more depth with Colwill and Gusto, the midfield is the problematic area yes, but we have done things so far but just like other clubs there is a certain area that is problematic. But others have that as well.  

The question for us is: do you find similar quality to Caicedo that is actually realistic (sorry but I dont rate Tchouameni or Barella as realistic). I havent seen Lavia enough but there are a lot of people who claim that putting Lavia next to Enzo would end in tears lol. I would maybe look torwards Koné but he is injured