Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

7 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

A signing like the Sterling one. great player, goalscorer but not a real cf and also not a left footer. Still delighted he will improve our quality in depth and add even more pace being one of the fastest players in Bundesliga. Surely either Kai or Pulisic have to make way tho next summer. 

Probably both.

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

So they rejected twice as much while his release clause is much smaller, doesn't make sense.

Seems to be a bit of a theme with German clubs, but they seem to prefer to come to an agreement with players to give another year or two loyalty and then be sold on at a more than fair price based on the market. To be honest, it's probably a strong selling point for teams like Dortmund, Leipzig, Leverkusen, etc to attract some of these top young talents to join. Not only a platform to showcase their talents but also being prepared to let players move on when the time is right.

8 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Amateur hour strikes again. If we don’t get the deal done it will almost be as laughable as when we got Willian after he had done a medical at Spurs.

How the fuck is shit leaking every second week?

No way to control it. To do a deal involves many entities; CFC, selling club, player, agent, medical doctor, insurance company, The FA, selling club's FA, two sets of solicitors and fifa, at a minimum. Almost certainly we can add player's sponsor(s) to that list so numerous opportunities for leaks.

For example, there are very strong rumours at Kingsmeadow about a major CFCW signing in the January window because someone supposedly involved in the deal attends games and is giving such big hints (including to me personally) that it leaves little room for doubt. That said, I do have my doubts because I find it hard to believe that someone genuinely involved in what would be a new world record transfer fee for a female player, would be quite so carefree with the information. We shall see.

10 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

A signing like the Sterling one. great player, goalscorer but not a real cf and also not a left footer. Still delighted he will improve our quality in depth and add even more pace being one of the fastest players in Bundesliga. Surely either Kai or Pulisic have to make way tho next summer. 

I'd be surprised if Havertz left unless he specified that he wanted to and everything that you see with him he seems to be well settled in England and gets on well in particular with the younger crop of players at the club, even after Werner and Rudiger moved on.

He might not have hit the heights expected of him, but he's in a completely different position to Werner and Pulisic who struggle(d) getting into the side and have clearly lost a lot of their transfer value due to their struggles here. But Havertz plays regularly (Potter for Tuchel doesn't seem to suggest he's now on the periphery) and is still highly regarded in Germany and starting regularly for the national team. I don't see a situation where Chelsea is prepared to sell at a loss on him, so it would almost certainly boil down to Bayern being prepared to spend £60-80m on him and him wanting to leave.

8 hours ago, DDA said:

Fabrizio is saying he is ready to accept. Up to the clubs.

If we trigger the release clause, can he join in January?

No doubt we'd have to agree a 'better than clause' fee to get him in January but perhaps Leipzig would rather just keep him an extra five months. Above and beyond that however I still feel that the only way to make sense of the medical having been done already is that the deal has also already been done.

4 hours ago, Pizy said:

Very, very exciting player. Just wonder where we’d play him along the front 3. Impossible to know until we’ve seen how this season plays out. 

I have to confess that I'm having a Kai Havertz moment here in that I really liked what I saw of Kai but, as soon as I realised that we might actually get him, I felt certain that I must have been overrating him. (On the basis that if he was as good as I thought one of the usual suspects who take him.) To an extent I feel similarly about Nkunku who I rate a lot, though not as highly as I briefly rated Kai.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

14 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

No doubt we'd have to agree a 'better than clause' fee to get him in January but perhaps Leipzig would rather just keep him an extra five months. Above and beyond that however I still feel that the only way to make sense of the medical having been done already is that the deal has also already been done.

I think they would rather keep him until the summer too considering how he is their main source of goals and assists. They haven't had the best of starts to the season, so it would probably make sense for them to hold onto him until then end of the season.

8 minutes ago, DDA said:

I think they would rather keep him until the summer too considering how he is their main source of goals and assists. They haven't had the best of starts to the season, so it would probably make sense for them to hold onto him until then end of the season.

For once I've been reading this thread forward, rather than backward from the most recent post, so I came across your comment about how highly you rate Nkunku after I had already posted the comment you replied to here. It's encouraging to read an assessment from someone who watches more than just highlight vids.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

43 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

For once I've been reading this thread forward, rather than backward from the most recent post, so I came across your comment about how highly you rate Nkunku after I had already posted the comment you replied to here. It's encouraging to read an assessment from someone who watches more than just highlight vids.

People are comparing him with Werner.... two completely different players.

Werners technical ability is very limited and heavily relied on acceleration into space... his finishing is that of just hit the ball and hope it hits the back of the net.

Nkunku has technical ability in abundance, he has an eye for a pass... can accelerate past players from a standing position. He can trick his way out of a congested scenario. His finishing is precise and decisive.. when he scores, you know he meant to put the ball where it ends up... none of this hit and hope shite we keep witnessing at our club. 

If you put this guy in City's team, my word, he would absolutely flourish behind Haaland.

This being said, I do believe we need to either bring Broja on or look to sign Leao so Nkunku can play off the more physical presence as I don't feel Nkunku can lead the line week in and week out. He is more of a drop deep into the pockets and arrive on the scene kind of player.

Edited by DDA

1 hour ago, DDA said:

People are comparing him with Werner.... two completely different players.

Werners technical ability is very limited and heavily relied on acceleration into space... his finishing is that of just hit the ball and hope it hits the back of the net.

Nkunku has technical ability in abundance, he has an eye for a pass... can accelerate past players from a standing position. He can trick his way out of a congested scenario. His finishing is precise and decisive.. when he scores, you know he meant to put the ball where it ends up... none of this hit and hope shite we keep witnessing at our club. 

If you put this guy in City's team, my word, he would absolutely flourish behind Haaland.

This being said, I do believe we need to either bring Broja on or look to sign Leao so Nkunku can play off the more physical presence as I don't feel Nkunku can lead the line week in and week out. He is more of a drop deep into the pockets and arrive on the scene kind of player.

So in our current set up where do you think Nkunku fits?

12 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Where are people reading Nkunku is done? Am not getting even slightly excited till I read it is.

There are quite a few reports saying he has signed a pre-contract agreement. I am not sure how binding that is?

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

You'd want him in a set up that will have him see the ball a lot. He can play either side to the ST but you'd want him playing beneath the ST for him to be the most effective. 

28 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

Where are people reading Nkunku is done? Am not getting even slightly excited till I read it is.

Chelsea are holding a second round of meetings for sporting director this week.

Nkunku is pretty much done and dusted, there was some competition from the premier league upper reaches. (@David_Ornstein)

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Behind, in and around the striker... or in a number 8 role but with less responsibility on defensive duties. I really feel he should be the link between attack and midfield .

That being said, I'm not saying he is the solution to all our problems.

We still need at least 2 serious midfielders and I long for a proper right winger... a player who can take the FBs on and produce goals and assists.

10 minutes ago, DDA said:

Behind, in and around the striker... or in a number 8 role but with less responsibility on defensive duties. I really feel he should be the link between attack and midfield .

That being said, I'm not saying he is the solution to all our problems.

We still need at least 2 serious midfielders and I long for a proper right winger... a player who can take the FBs on and produce goals and assists.

Was about to say. Could get prime Messi and Ronaldo and it wouldn't matter with our current CMs. 

Midfield needs surgery, starting January.