Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Think we’ll have done as well as we possibly could have this summer reshaping our defense if Fofana comes in. Two players in Cucu and Fofana who know what the PL is all about, are young, and should be here for many years. And then Koulibaly who is vastly experienced and will be more than fine once he’s fully up to speed. Would’ve been nice to sign a quality backup to Reece to put the cherry on top but we can make do with the (hopefully rare) Azpi or RLC appearance there if needed.

Sterling, Koulibaly, Cucurella, and Fofana as senior signings that all go straight into the first XI is a fantastic summer. We add 1 more signing who can get us goals and it’s one of our best ever windows. And that’s not even mentioning all these young talents we’re signing for the future.

We’d all have loved the club to get a jump start in the midfield rebuild that will be needed very soon but we can’t expect Boehly to spend £350m in a single window. The fact that we haven’t gone all out for some of these midfielders that have been linked says to me that Declan Rice is still the one we’re waiting for. He will be next summer’s Fofana saga where we bid multiple times and eventually sign.

4 minutes ago, Mário César said:

“There absolutely has to come a time where we understand what squad is going to be, especially on Anthony”. #CFC “I won’t say where it [the cut-off point] is, but I think you understand I am getting very close to it”.

what lampard means with this?

Sounds like he’s saying that it’s getting to the point in the window that if anything is going to happen it needs to happen ASAP before it’s too late to sell an important player. 

3 hours ago, Kong said:

Record fee for a player that can't even get in the French national team. Fucking ridiculous, when did 21 year olds come 80m players.

I think if he hadn't got the serious injury he'd have had a look in by now. The season before for Leicester he was phenomenal as a 19 year old, including putting in a really strong performance against us in the Cup Final.

I know that Leicester had a lot of injuries last season, but he was possibly the most missed of the lot, especially when Jonny Evans struggled with his fitness too. 

The amount is a huge investment but in reality it was always going to take a massive fee to prise him away when Leicester paid close to 40m for him when he'd only played about 20-25 games for Saint Etienne, and he's since been successful here in the Premier League.

The biggest risk is buying him so soon after such a serious injury. If he had followed up his first season with a similar one last then I don't think there'd be much questioning of the deal but that injury does raise question marks. I think it's probably difficult to assess him on the basis of the start of this season when his head has clearly been turned. When we played Leicester at the end of last season, he played well again then.

I feel he was probably a long term target for the club, possibly to replace Thiago Silva in a year or two, and would give the club chance to monitor his comeback from his injury. But I think circumstances this summer made us change tact to just go in and get him now. 

Let's hope he justifies the commitment the club is making. The talent and potential is definitely there, just no margin for error.

9 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Sounds like he’s saying that it’s getting to the point in the window that if anything is going to happen it needs to happen ASAP before it’s too late to sell an important player. 

Whilst we're questioning spending so much on Gordon, I do feel from Everton's perspective its hugely difficult for them to make that sale.

They have to give themselves every possible chance of staying up. That's worth far more than £60m for Gordon if he was going to be a difference maker for them to avoid being relegated. I'd genuinely worry for them if they went down that they might struggle to shoot straight back up and they've certainly diced with it a fair few times in the Premier League era. Pretty sure we beat teams twice on the last game of the season to help them stay up pre Roman era.

I feel for them it's worth the risk to hold on to him this season, even if it still resulted on them getting relegated and maybe having to sell him next summer for £20-30m instead.

8 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Whilst we're questioning spending so much on Gordon, I do feel from Everton's perspective its hugely difficult for them to make that sale.

They have to give themselves every possible chance of staying up. That's worth far more than £60m for Gordon if he was going to be a difference maker for them to avoid being relegated. I'd genuinely worry for them if they went down that they might struggle to shoot straight back up and they've certainly diced with it a fair few times in the Premier League era. Pretty sure we beat teams twice on the last game of the season to help them stay up pre Roman era.

I feel for them it's worth the risk to hold on to him this season, even if it still resulted on them getting relegated and maybe having to sell him next summer for £20-30m instead.

I agree. I think they’re in serious trouble if they sell him this late in the window. Not because he puts up big numbers but just because of the energy and effort he brings which Lamps clearly loves.

Don’t see this one happening unless we send them one of our prized young players like Broja or Gallagher on loan as part of the deal. Which would be stupid on our part. 

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

I agree. I think they’re in serious trouble if they sell him this late in the window. Not because he puts up big numbers but just because of the energy and effort he brings which Lamps clearly loves.

Don’t see this one happening unless we send them one of our prized young players like Broja or Gallagher on loan as part of the deal. Which would be stupid on our part. 

Could give them Gilmour and Barkley 

🚨 Chelsea understood to have reached agreement with Leicester City to sign Wesley Fofana. After a number of bids rejected, believed a deal is now in place between #CFC & #LCFC for 21yo France youth international to switch to Stamford Bridge @TheAthleticUK