Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

2 minutes ago, Mário César said:

sterling it is better than kai

even koulibaly it was better at the end of the season than the beginning

cucurella its better than azpi that is finished 

our problem is not your defense, its our attack

Kova its injury prone and caicedo makes a lot of sense 

Not particularly keen on using "better" to compare players with completely different characteristics, positions, and role. Does Sterling heads the ball, and has more physical presence in the box as Kai does? It's all relative. Even Mount and Sterling are so different that it's hard to compare the 2: e.g. you lose specific things when you swap them.

pretty much disagree with the rest, and think the last bit is speculation/wishful thinking. Cucurella also made a lot of sense...

6 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Not particularly keen on using "better" to compare players with completely different characteristics, positions, and role. Does Sterling heads the ball, and has more physical presence in the box as Kai does? It's all relative. Even Mount and Sterling are so different that it's hard to compare the 2: e.g. you lose specific things when you swap them.

pretty much disagree with the rest, and think the last bit is speculation/wishful thinking. Cucurella also made a lot of sense...

that is a risk, this is obvious but we need midfielders

who you suggest?

21 minutes ago, Mário César said:

that is a risk, this is obvious but we need midfielders

who you suggest?

eh not my job nor a thing I like to do. There way too many variables to consider and I don't have the information, nor the knowledge, to assess that.

It also depends on what the manager wants to do, and what characteristics he needs. It's silly to sign someone who does not work with what the manager wants. Does he want to keep possession, or quick transitions? high or low block? 3 at the back? Is Caicedo's energy necessary or the manager prefers a player who can control the ball better? 🤷‍♂️
Funny that City wants Kova and not Caicedos...

Edited by robsblubot

30 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

eh not my job nor a thing I like to do. There way too many variables to consider and I don't have the information, nor the knowledge, to assess that.

It also depends on what the manager wants to do, and what characteristics he needs. It's silly to sign someone who does not work with what the manager wants. Does he want to keep possession, or quick transitions? high or low block? 3 at the back? Is Caicedo's energy necessary or the manager prefers a player who can control the ball better? 🤷‍♂️
Funny that City wants Kova and not Caicedos...

Maybe because they already have Rodri, Phillips and others to fill that role in the side.   They want Kovacic as a possible replacement for Gundo...

Caicedo isn't needed at City, they already have a solid midfield

Compare that to us and right now we're looking at Enzo - Gallagher and whatever youngsters are out on loan to fill the midfield next season (as both Kovacic/Kante are out the door). 

2 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I've only seen City strongly linked to Kovacic, so selling him first for a figure around £25-30m makes sense all around. That should put us in the clear regarding FFP for now while allowing us to demand fair prices rather than gifting first team quality players away.

I honestly can't think of a buy that I would deem a success since Kante, which was largely down to his release clause. No one with any football knowledge was appointed after Emenalo left, and the cycle kept going, dud after dud. Boehly went about things completely the wrong way in the hope that throwing money around would stick, which in turn has put us in an even bigger whole.

I'll repeat what I said in another thread: I envision us becoming a team like Arsenal if we don't get our house in order within the next 12 to 18 months.

@LAM09 that would actually be an improvement on where the club is at right now.   From memory I don't recall Arsenal finishing 12th in their 'bad' seasons under Wenger/Arteta.  

We need a new spine to the team like what Mourinho built back in 04-05....and all the super glue fixes over the years are finally catching up to us and unlike teams like Liverpool, United we don't have class players who can score goals for fun and bail us out from bad performances (Salah, Rashford). 

37 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Maybe because they already have Rodri, Phillips and others to fill that role in the side.   They want Kovacic as a possible replacement for Gundo...

Caicedo isn't needed at City, they already have a solid midfield

Compare that to us and right now we're looking at Enzo - Gallagher and whatever youngsters are out on loan to fill the midfield next season (as both Kovacic/Kante are out the door). 

I think it's more than that: it's characteristics. IMO Kova fits City's system like a glove.

There is also the mental aspect, which we (esp fans) have scant information about most of the time. It's difficult to assess winning mentality when we sign players from smaller teams, for example, because they dimply never really were in a position to dispute much. When you go for big names, then you have a better idea of how they react in big matches.

Edited by robsblubot

kova add deep to city squad 

with us he was a starter 

for them he is a rotational squad player

there is no more to be said 

our problem to be honest is wingers lack of end product, a centerforward, a goalkeeper and a creative midfielder 

we need a midfielder like fabregas, with a good assist skills 

15 hours ago, lucio said:

He’s a carthorse. Bulky version of gallagher. Would be worth £10m if he was foreign 

I am sorry but you are well off this with I’m afraid.

Doing the boy a disservice calling him a bulky version of Connor Gallagher. Couldn’t be more wrong and not even the same type of profile. He is more than 10 times the player and someone who now should be considered as someone who can actively contribute in a bigger team. Its no surprise Arsenal, Bayern, United are all after him. 

He’s got a level or two where he can get to yet also but he needs to play in a better team with better coaching to get that. Yes maybe price will always go against him but personally I think after spending £100m+ on Enzo Fernandez - again will be a great player in the long run but for me, based on the current crop of players out there, no midfielder in the world is worth what we paid for him bar a select few - it doesn’t really matter what we pay for him because he is the type we need, its the same logic as the Enzo deal, we ‘needed’ him. I’d take him over Caicedo in a heartbeat. Especially when you consider both are going to he wanted for at least £80m and we missed out on Ugarte, although again he isn’t on Rice’s level atm but the price was better and profile suited what we need.

Definitely more difficult to look a top player in that West Ham team than it is in the Brighton teams of the past 2 seasons IMO.

Edited by OneMoSalah

1 hour ago, Reddish-Blue said:

@LAM09 that would actually be an improvement on where the club is at right now.   From memory I don't recall Arsenal finishing 12th in their 'bad' seasons under Wenger/Arteta.  

We need a new spine to the team like what Mourinho built back in 04-05....and all the super glue fixes over the years are finally catching up to us and unlike teams like Liverpool, United we don't have class players who can score goals for fun and bail us out from bad performances (Salah, Rashford). 

I'm talking about permanent mediocrity rather than one off season. I've been saying for far too long that this side lacks leaders who can turn things around when times are tough, but we are constantly linked with the next shiny toy, or has been.

We have a habit of not replacing key players once they've left (old guard, Mata, Hazard, Costa, Cesc, etc) for some stupid reason. You can only play the same record so many times.

42 minutes ago, Mário César said:

kova add deep to city squad 

with us he was a starter 

for them he is a rotational squad player

there is no more to be said 

our problem to be honest is wingers lack of end product, a centerforward, a goalkeeper and a creative midfielder 

we need a midfielder like fabregas, with a good assist skills 

The bold part is where most of our issues stem from. Last season would have been very different, even with our problems, had every chance that fell to Havertz fallen to someone like Kane instead. It's beyond painful watching amateur standard finishing season after season. 

We had Jorgi as our top scorer not too long ago. 😐

Edited by LAM09

5 hours ago, mkh said:
Breaking | Chelsea initiate contact over the possible signing of Mike Maignan from AC Milan, according to L’Équipe.

I think the best keeper option if we can do the deal. 

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Doing the boy a disservice calling him a bulky version of Connor Gallagher. Couldn’t be more wrong and not even the same type of profile. He is more than 10 times the player and someone who now should be considered as someone who can actively contribute in a bigger team. Its no surprise Arsenal, Bayern, United are all after him. 

He’s got a level or two where he can get to yet also but he needs to play in a better team with better coaching to get that. Yes maybe price will always go against him but personally I think after spending £100m+ on Enzo Fernandez - again will be a great player in the long run but for me, based on the current crop of players out there, no midfielder in the world is worth what we paid for him bar a select few - it doesn’t really matter what we pay for him because he is the type we need, its the same logic as the Enzo deal, we ‘needed’ him. I’d take him over Caicedo in a heartbeat. Especially when you consider both are going to he wanted for at least £80m and we missed out on Ugarte, although again he isn’t on Rice’s level atm but the price was better and profile suited what we need.

Definitely more difficult to look a top player in that West Ham team than it is in the Brighton teams of the past 2 seasons IMO.

Ugarte is already well clear of rice , he has quality on the ball, rice is a tractor. Lavia and caicedo are both much better on the ball too. 
UTD and arsenal have both made massive transfer blunders before, especially with English players. We and city both wanted cucarella and he is awful. 
rice can do a job but he’s completely one dimensional and isn’t one of the best defensive mids in the world. I’d say he’d look worse in a progressive team like Brighton , playing under Moyes makes him look better where he can afford to be bad on the ball 

5 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I'm talking about permanent mediocrity rather than one off season. I've been saying for far too long that this side lacks leaders who can turn things around when times are tough, but we are constantly linked with the next shiny toy, or has been.

We have a habit of not replacing key players once they've left (old guard, Mata, Hazard, Costa, Cesc, etc) for some stupid reason. You can only play the same record so many times.

The bold part is where most of our issues stem from. Last season would have been very different, even with our problems, had every chance that fell to Havertz fallen to someone like Kane instead. It's beyond painful watching amateur standard finishing season after season. 

We had Jorgi as our top scorer not too long ago. 😐

City won the league countless times without even employing a dedicated #9. They defend with freaking Ake and Stones! A team scores and a team defends. We can't score because we simply aren't very good and have not been very good for some time. Even smaller teams manage to outplay us because we are slow and pedantic pedestrian on the ball.

We play like shit... we have players who look completely clueless on the ball, like Mudryk. Players who are constantly injured. New signings who are clearly raw and their decisions showcase that. What would a striker possibly do in those conditions? win a point here and here? that's not what we need.

Defenders defend and attackers attack sounds so passe. I'm supposed to be the old one here. 😅

Edited by robsblubot

4 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

@OneMoSalah Feels like you've got it the wrong way around.  It is much easier to look like the top player at West Ham as they really don't have anyone else at that level.  

As for the Rice to Ugarte comparison, I'd take Ugarte any day of the week.   The way he played against Arsenal's midfield in Europe was something else.  PSG got a steal for around 60 million.  I can also see why we were keen on him, that would have been a very nice South American midfield duo under Poch.

If Arsenal really do end up splashing anywhere near 90 million for Rice, they'll end up hating themselves in a few years time as he's not the player to elevate them over City for the title.  

2 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

LOL i think you mean pedestrian bruv, pedantic is something else.

😅 Yeah you are right, pedestrian is the right word...  as unimaginative, slow, ponderous. 

Pedantic would be being corrected for no good reason, but this one was legit.

(Portuguese is my first language, so this does happen from time to time)

Edited by robsblubot