Watford 1-2 Chelsea

Jase

4 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Tommy scored some of my favourite CFC goals. There were the couple he scored in the 4-0 Stamford Bridge promotion celebrating win over Hull the week after he had scored the goal in a 1-1 promotion securing draw at Wolves. Some things I remember clearly about Tommy but I don't remember him ever being regarded as first choice for England.

P.S. Hands up anyone who ended up on the pitch after that Hull game all those years ago. 🙋‍♂️

Just before Argentina world cup.
England was out but Revie was starting a new effort for 1980.
All the newspapers were saying "Langley is surely the new number 9" but then he was injured in a match against Liverpool I think.

6 minutes ago, cosmicway said:

Just before Argentina world cup.
England was out but Revie was starting a new effort for 1980.
All the newspapers were saying "Langley is surely the new number 9" but then he was injured in a match against Liverpool I think.

I honestly don't even remember Tommy ever playing for England. 

3 hours ago, cosmicway said:

But he did n't because he broke his leg.
If my memory does n't fail me Stan Bowles was the number 9 those years.

Are we calling Bowles a nine? More like a ten wasn't he? Around then I'm thinking it may have been Paul Marriner or Bob Latchford although perhaps they may have been a bit later. Kegan and Brooking would have been in the team in 1980 because they were still in it two years later in Spain. That means it would usually have been Keegan plus one up top I think. What about Tony Woodcock maybe or was Joe Royle still around then? And what was the name of the Villa centre-forward at that time,? (The lad with the beard.)

This would be the worst game of the season and would figure in overall Tuchel's career at Chelsea, the 3 points is a result of whatever good we played. Saul doesnt have a career at Chelsea, was established last night (Pulisic did more in the wingback/winger position last night than what Saul has done in all his games here) There was time from the 75th to around 81st mins, the 2 teams were literally competing to prove who is the worst team on the pitch. 

I hope Tuchel is kicking himself over the way we played last night and learns from it because the grid is just beginning ...  

7 hours ago, cosmicway said:

Langley was top scorer in 77-78.
England had failed to qualify for the Argentina world cup but Don Revie was about to create a new squad for euro 1980 and Langley was expected to be the first choice when a terrible injury happened to him.
Three years later he reappeared but could n't really play anymore.
I think Saul had a similar story.

Saw Langley play many times -will go down as a Chelsea great - Saul will be ''who?''

I hope there is no more Saul in midfield in PL/CL games. That was an unwatchable performance. I think he is now beyond Bakayoko territory. This is closer to Steve Sidwell, Danny Drinkwater, Khalid Boulahrouz stuff

Edited by Strike

10 minutes ago, Strike said:

I hope there is no more Saul in midfield in PL/CL games. That was an unwatchable performance. I think he is now beyond Bakayoko territory. This is closer to Steve Sidwell, Danny Drinkwater, Khalid Boulahrouz stuff

Khalid shut down prime Ronaldinho very well as RB. 

19 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Alonso played part in both goals. Ofc we are ignoring this. 

He still had a poor game and is an absolutely dreadful player . Shall we give him plaudits from executing the most obvious option in each case ? He did what you would expect from any professional footballer 

9 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I do feel that Liverpool and City have a tendency to drop points if they don't play well, which both have recently.

Even if they drop points, they have had a history of showing amazing consistency in recent seasons to stay up there and that's something still unknown with us because we hadn't challenged for the title since 2016/17. Can we really handle the pressure every week as the leaders? Can we handle it later in the season during March, April if we are still up there? So many questions, unknowns etc to be answered with this group.

Just take the 3pts. Way to look at this is that we got away with a win, whilst playing second/third string CM and WB's; whilst we also has Silva out at CB. For me, this kind of makes up for the Burnley result as the two points dropped there have been made up here. 

Obviously, the performance wasn't great and we learned a few things i.e. Saul is not up to the demands of the PL at all and RLC, despite his recent form, is still in the CM4/5 category. 

At this point in time, we need to get people healthy so it is all about results over performances until then. 

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

He still had a poor game and is an absolutely dreadful player . Shall we give him plaudits from executing the most obvious option in each case ? He did what you would expect from any professional footballer 

He was poor defensively, even by Alonso standards.

But you have to admit., his first touches for both goals were exceptional. Especially that bit of control for the first goal. In a period when we were on the backfoot and struggling to beat their press, that was crucial.