Chelsea 1-1 Villarreal

Jase

So Pau Torres is fit to play just four days after finishing his 2020/21 season at the Olympics, but Azpi/Christensen still can't feature having already trained for a couple of weeks. 😆

Excited to see Chalobah being given a chance though, let's hope it works out. He played well in pre-season.

The lineup looks like we are tossing this one as we did with the FA Cup. Really sad

For Pau you could say he  has no training backlog so can just playon but Gerard It is weird. Azpi has been training exactly the same time as Gerard Moreno and yet is not fit enough to play?

To me it looks like TT is treating this as a pre-season friendly, giving CHO, Trev and other a chance to impress

we are basically just playing 4-5 first teamers here despite having an entire squad ready.

Not really sure I understand playing several players who clearly won’t be here. Also not sure I like the idea of like half our best XI not playing a single preseason match before the PL season starts.

Even if it’s just for 60 minutes I’d have played as close to our best XI as possible. We have a tough as hell start to the season and need these guys to hit the ground running.

3 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

The lineup looks like we are tossing this one as we did with the FA Cup. Really sad

For Pau you could say he  has no training backlog so can just playon but Gerard It is weird. Azpi has been training exactly the same time as Gerard Moreno and yet is not fit enough to play?

To me it looks like TT is treating this as a pre-season friendly, giving CHO, Trev and other a chance to impress

Not necessarily throwing it, just not taking any unnecessary risks either. I'd hate for someone with very little pre-season minutes to come in an injure themselves in the process.

Villarreal seem to be taking it really seriously and are throwing the kitchen sink at it, as they should because it's a glorious opportunity for them. It might backfire on them if players are not fit, or the risk might pay off.

Either way even with this squad we are heavy favorites to win and there shouldn't be any excuses to lose. Just hope Tuchel reacts quickly if things aren't working out, and takes in a few more first teamers.

6 minutes ago, Jype said:

Not necessarily throwing it, just not taking any unnecessary risks either. I'd hate for someone with very little pre-season minutes to come in an injure themselves in the process.

Villarreal seem to be taking it really seriously and are throwing the kitchen sink at it, as they should because it's a glorious opportunity for them. It might backfire on them if players are not fit, or the risk might pay off.

Either way even with this squad we are heavy favorites to win and there shouldn't be any excuses to lose. Just hope Tuchel reacts quickly if things aren't working out, and takes in a few more first teamers.

For a european cup you are entitled to take risks. If fear of injury really is the problem so why have a lot of our first team not featured in preseason for a few mins? At soem point we have to throw them into the cold water.

IMO given Villareal have played together in this formation and prepared for ages the chances are pretty even. We pulled a similar stunt in 2012 and got mauled by Atleti. Thank fuck Villareal dont have prime Falcao.