The Tuchel Thread

Jase

4 hours ago, kobematabryant said:

Our most hated manager since Benitez, yet has transformed our performances and is continuously getting the results. Our only mistake is not hiring him sooner. 

Where on earth did you get that from...   I like him immediately 

4 hours ago, different level said:

Lol, that can't be true.

While the board was down I spent some time at The Shed End. There was a very vocal minority that wanted Tuchel to fail. The thought it would be proof the Super Frank was sacked way too early. 

1 hour ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

While the board was down I spent some time at The Shed End. There was a very vocal minority that wanted Tuchel to fail. The thought it would be proof the Super Frank was sacked way too early. 

Another scary thing I'm seeing is that people still think that Lampard should have been given the last 2-3 games at least for a chance to turn things around (because it was only Wolves, Burnley, Spurs and Sheffield Utd), even though it was already bloody obvious he had no clue what he was doing and we looked completely lost as a team - no identity, no playing style, no clear tactical plan etc.

51 minutes ago, Jason said:

Another scary thing I'm seeing is that people still think that Lampard should have been given the last 2-3 games at least for a chance to turn things around (because it was only Wolves, Burnley, Spurs and Sheffield Utd), even though it was already bloody obvious he had no clue what he was doing and we looked completely lost as a team - no identity, no playing style, no clear tactical plan etc.

A lot cite the romance aspect of it which makes me wonder, where was that energy when we ditched him as a player and replaced him with a Gooner legend? 

The media have created such a cult of manager's in this country it's insane.

9 minutes ago, Tomo said:

A lot cite the romance aspect of it which makes me wonder, where was that energy when we ditched him as a player and replaced him with a Gooner legend? 

The media have created such a cult of manager's in this country it's insane.

English managers seriously get too much leeway and get talked up too much, more than what they are actually capable of. The amount of excuses Lampard got from journalists and pundits for his sacking was embarrassing. Only yesterday Graeme Souness was basically blaming Werner for causing Lampard to get sacked. 🤦‍♂️

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

English managers seriously get too much leeway and get talked up too much, more than what they are actually capable of. The amount of excuses Lampard got from journalists and pundits for his sacking was embarrassing. Only yesterday Graeme Souness was basically blaming Werner for causing Lampard to get sacked. 🤦‍♂️

It's not just English manager's though, Arteta has built up a truly bizarre cult following at Arsenal, fans (DT prime example) are literally changing and shaping their opinions based on what best protects the manager, this one the pick of the lot😂

The media have simply brainwashed the football population into thinking giving manager's indefinite and unconditional time is the way to go.

Edited by Tomo

6 minutes ago, Tomo said:

It's not just English manager's though, Arteta has built up a truly bizarre cult following at Arsenal, fans (DT prime example) are literally changing and shaping their opinions based on what best protects the manager, this one the pick of the lot😂

The media have simply brainwashed the football population into thinking giving manager's indefinite and unconditional time is the way to go.

Think Arteta gets favorable treatment because he used to play in the Premier League and was Guardiola's assistant. You only need to compare the reaction Arteta got when Arsenal were in trouble with Emery in the same situation in 2018/19 and half of 2019/20.

Also worth remembering that the English media are always highly judgmental of foreign managers when they first come to the Premier League. Pochettino, Marco Silva, Guardiola, Tuchel to name a few. There's always almost xenophobic attitude shown towards them. 

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

I don't think they did, maybe a small minority but most didn't. It's more the media that targeted him, Redknapp's comments especially were outrageous.

Even the most angry reaction (the creators of "the circus continues" banner) made it clear there's no ill will to Tuchel and are behind him.

What were Redknapp's comments ??

7 minutes ago, DDA said:

What were Redknapp's comments ??

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/Chelsea/thomas-tuchel-frank-lampard-harry-redknapp-b1792693.html

“I heard Gary Neville saying earlier they’ve now got another world-class manager coming into the league,” Redknapp told Sky Sports ahead of Tuchel’s appointment. 

“Who says he’s a great manager? Winning the title with PSG in France doesn’t really make you a great a manager. What does that prove? You’re quite entitled to win that division when you’re managing PSG.”

I don't get it why PSG discharged Tuchel.
He reached the cl final, respectable performence against Munich then in the French league some initial misfortunes were unavoidable.
Given the hasty preparation of the teams during these covid seasons and the mighty effort in Lisbon just before, it was practically unavoidable.
Remember France national team just after their 1998 triumph ? It's the same thing.
I believe he is one of the top grade managers.
I believe his task is to give more speed to the Chelsea team. Against Wolves the tv commentator wanted to call the ... monopolies commission because of the endless no purpose passing. We need more speed.

At the moment we heavily rely on Kova Jorginho for the transition. Soon others will figure out it and close them up. Mourinho already did it in the second half and we have problems. Just hope that won't end in our back three passing to each other without any clue. I like the idea of winger-wingback it makes three CB more justified. Still early days, but at least we now have some foundation to work from.

Harry reknapp can go spit the tosser........TT has had 4 games so far and im more than pleased. We at least got structure now, a structure we maintain for 95min, we keep the tempo high, a clear identity and the tactics look well too. Sure the lineup yesterday was weird but remember he is adjusting himself TT, he is testing what he has and what is missing. Cut the man some slack no matter how much you might love FL.

I can partly understand the emotional attachment with regards to Lampard because I think when you have a top tier club legend coming in, there's probably an even bigger desire and hope for them to do well and given his standing and lack of experience in coaching, I think that he could be afforded some slack last season, particularly as ultimately we ended up making the top 4 which a lot of people didn't expect us to do.

However, that can only last so far and any Chelsea fan using their head over their heart would say that there wasn't any improvement on last season. If anything it was getting progressively worse, and he didn't seem to have answers to the questions. For the sake of saving the season unfortunately Lampard had to go and so far, that has been emphatically justified.

One of the biggest gripes it seemed with changing the manager was the academy players and the mass hysteria regarding our line up for the Wolves game I think just exacerbated this point. But he's shown so far that the academy players will play a big part in his group, alongside the more experienced players. 

The difference between Tuchel and Benitez like has been pointed out is that Tuchel has never done anything to disrespect or antagonise the fan base. If we keep winning games and he can keep evolving this team then that part of the fan base's discontent will dissipate in time. He's actually probably benefited from no fans in the stadium for these initial games and if we continue the good form, I don't see issues when the fans are back.

Regarding Tuchel, I was sceptical at first but only really because of his past history of falling out with the board and becoming difficult to manage. He has addressed this and hopefully it is something he is working on, rather than trying to pull the wool over people's eyes a la Mourinho. Away from that though he looks like being a top manager in the making for us, tactically on point, intelligent, charismatic. I think he could end up being a real blessing in disguise for the young group of players we have within our squad.

41 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think he could end up being a real blessing in disguise for the young group of players we have within our squad.

Thats jus it. These young players were given the opportunity by Frank and you feel as if he did as much as he could with them. Now Tuchel, who is a real footballing brain, will take them to the next level. 

8 hours ago, Jason said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/Chelsea/thomas-tuchel-frank-lampard-harry-redknapp-b1792693.html

“I heard Gary Neville saying earlier they’ve now got another world-class manager coming into the league,” Redknapp told Sky Sports ahead of Tuchel’s appointment. 

“Who says he’s a great manager? Winning the title with PSG in France doesn’t really make you a great a manager. What does that prove? You’re quite entitled to win that division when you’re managing PSG.”

Tuchel has already achieved more in his managerial career than Redknapp did. So he has no right to talk.

I mean you dont have a reputation like Tuchels if you dont have something about you. The players hes improved, success at Mainz, reviving Dortmund after Klopp and taking PSG to their first ever CL final didnt happen by luck.

Also does that mean that Pochettino’s reputation will take a dive in Redknapp’s eyes now hes at PSG?

Edited by OneMoSalah

It's probably best that we avoid hiring club legends as the manager in the future. We really don't need this emotional drama of the fans wanting the club to basically fail because they're emotionally attached to that particular manager. 

2 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Tuchel has already achieved more in his managerial career than Redknapp did. So he has no right to talk.

He's Lampard's uncle. What do you expect? This is a classic xenophobic attitude from the English media towards foreign managers. Redknapp conveniently just ignored the work Tuchel did in Germany and the fact that he's had 17 years of experience as a manager compared to Lampard's 2.5 years.