Edouard Mendy

Jase

It is always easy to bash a goalie on a poor run. Remember we were relentless on Kepa a few years back as well. He was absolutely hopeless. We should not forget how good Mendy was for us in the cl run 21 either. Not only his saves but also his calmness which gave us back a sense of security after the shaky Willy Kepa Rochade. 
Like I said before, neither are the solution for us long term but they are not useless either. 
On form both are alright keepers with their own strengths and weaknesses which opponents have by now learned to exploit. This is probably what separates them from top keepers who even on bad form still are somewhat tolerable. But if anything Kepas story should have told us to not discard one of our own completely without a chance at redemption. 

2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

It is always easy to bash a goalie on a poor run. Remember we were relentless on Kepa a few years back as well. He was absolutely hopeless. We should not forget how good Mendy was for us in the cl run 21 either. Not only his saves but also his calmness which gave us back a sense of security after the shaky Willy Kepa Rochade. 
Like I said before, neither are the solution for us long term but they are not useless either. 
On form both are alright keepers with their own strengths and weaknesses which opponents have by now learned to exploit. This is probably what separates them from top keepers who even on bad form still are somewhat tolerable. But if anything Kepas story should have told us to not discard one of our own completely without a chance at redemption. 

There's a number of reasons why letting Mendy leave would make sense. We can only hope Slonina can follow a simple path to Thibo and make the position his own a few years down the line.

Edited by LAM09

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

There's a number of reasons why letting Mendy leave would make sense. We can only hope Slonina can follow a simple path to Thibo and make the position his own a few years down the line.

Sure. I was just making the point that berating him feels misguided. 
letting him go without knowing how well Slonina works here is a risk too. Kepa is far from unshakable and Mendy even in poor form is still a decent backup. 

54 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Sure. I was just making the point that berating him feels misguided. 
letting him go without knowing how well Slonina works here is a risk too. Kepa is far from unshakable and Mendy even in poor form is still a decent backup. 

We don't need two potentially unreliable keepers on big wages.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Never understood the notion of dropping him for Kepa, injuries aside or course.

I get that Mendy has shortcomings in that position, esp in modern's game, but it's not like we play similarly to City and need a sweeper goalie!

I just don't see Mendy and Kepa as comparable goalies at all.

Kepa is actually fairly rounded to my laymen's eyes, very rounded and consistently mediocre in all skills needed for a goalie with perhaps the exception of playing his foot. Mendy, on the other hand has the reach, size and command of the area of a top goalie. How do I know that? because he has shown that for a relatively long stretch of time; Kepa on the other hand has never shown anything remotely close to that.

With Mendy leaving, perhaps it is really time for him to leave, I just see GK as a major hole in Chelsea's roster. I honestly think it's far more serious than the lack of a pure 9. You can score plenty of goals without a striker (enough perhaps to win CL 😉), but it's kinda hard to win silverware without a competent goalie.

Still don't really get what's up with hate on him here, but fans are just fans. Meanwhile freezing him out of the team for half a season is just laughable and reminds the previous Lampard's stint.

Not really surprised he didn't agree the contract if currently he may be seen everywhere between 1st GK and 6th GK, with possibility of being left out of the team for two years because why not. 

2 hours ago, Vegetable said:

Still don't really get what's up with hate on him here, but fans are just fans. Meanwhile freezing him out of the team for half a season is just laughable and reminds the previous Lampard's stint.

Not really surprised he didn't agree the contract if currently he may be seen everywhere between 1st GK and 6th GK, with possibility of being left out of the team for two years because why not. 

Such a shame. Our GK who won the ECL, Super and World Cup being treated like scum by the club and some Chelsea fans. He rightly should be paid on par with Kepa after achieving so much with the club and more. I hope he goes on to a club that treats him with more respect. De Gea has had his ups and downs with Man U fans and yet he is well paid and much loved and respected by the club.

5 hours ago, didi007 said:

Such a shame. Our GK who won the ECL, Super and World Cup being treated like scum by the club and some Chelsea fans. He rightly should be paid on par with Kepa after achieving so much with the club and more. I hope he goes on to a club that treats him with more respect. De Gea has had his ups and downs with Man U fans and yet he is well paid and much loved and respected by the club.

You can't pay players based on their past performances.

14 minutes ago, Tomo said:

You can't pay players based on their past performances.

wait what? Suppose you mean past glories perhaps? Because wages are mostly set based on past performances as there is no guarantee that the player will reproduce what he has done before. It's the same when signing players too: you sign players expecting that they will be able to reproduce what they've done in the past for you, perhaps even improving along the way if young enough.

Now, yes, the club must assess if reproducing past performances is possible, which can be very difficult at time: goes into mentality, physique (age as well), and skill esp around the current needs of the club.

13 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

wait what? Suppose you mean past glories perhaps? Because wages are mostly set based on past performances as there is no guarantee that the player will reproduce what he has done before. It's the same when signing players too: you sign players expecting that they will be able to reproduce what they've done in the past for you, perhaps even improving along the way if young enough.

Now, yes, the club must assess if reproducing past performances is possible, which can be very difficult at time: goes into mentality, physique (age as well), and skill esp around the current needs of the club.

I worded it wrong but I meant players who were world class but have not been cutting it for a while now (that said I'd still play him over Kepa).

I'd actually argue the problems we see today have been a chain of events that started as early as 2008/2009 when we didn't refresh the old guard despite warning signs they were (as a collective unit) starting to decline.

Edited by Tomo

• 1 month later...