Edouard Mendy

Jase

1 hour ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Oof, not a great way to start

I wouldn't say it is surprising. Mendy is a GK who can control his area in aerial duels and is a very good shot stopper. What he isn't is a player with any passing abilities, as seen here and in the second half of his spell here. 

What Mendy essentially needs is a Jorginho/Silva/Kova - and mostly at least two of them at the same time so he has options with the ball at his feet. Those type of players (Jorgi/Silva/Kov) are great at finding a bit of space in order to receive the ball when things get tight for their colleagues. 

For me, if you have a balanced side and at least one player in the deepest 5 outfield players who understands how help the GK on the ball to have wode passing lanes, then he is great. If you don't, he looks like a clown. 

That said, I still take him over Kepa everyday in the week, as Kepa's only ups on him is his passing (also not great) and is ability to 'spring' up quickly which is common in midget GK's. 

Edited by King Kante

Couldn't agree more 👆even a mobile and skillful CB in a 3 cb system (say like a David Luiz), would work well for him.

DL is currently playing in a 2-cb system for Flamengo in Brazil and more often than not makes one of his blunders.

Edited by robsblubot

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Will never learn how to save penalties.  Senegal out. 

He saved Mane's in the FA Cup final and did so in the shootouts V Egypt.

Saying that, I think it was just a hot streak. I have no idea how Kessie's PK went in despite him standing still.