Edouard Mendy

Jase

On 31/08/2022 at 00:16, Thor said:

For the bad goal he did give up against Leicester, he saved a bunch. There were at least two or three chances Leicester had afterwards that should have been goals that he stopped. 

I don't think he is to blame for the first goal against Southampton today either. 

I understand blame is being throw everywhere at this point, and no, he hasn't been great, but he isn't the problem. He has absolutely no support from his outfield players at the moment. 

he needs to start catching the balls more and stop this shambolic punching and pushing aside

14 minutes ago, Vesper said:

he needs to start catching the balls more and stop this shambolic punching and pushing aside

Was watching the behind the scenes training footage on Chelsea official YouTube, in the training session it showed the punching drills for corners. He's actually very good at it not under pressure lol.

6 minutes ago, Kong said:

He's actually very good at it not under pressure lol.

lol

if not under pressure I could even punch some away

I have some hops for a girl 🤣

I can touch a basketball rim (it helps being 6 feet tall with pretty long arms)

He lacks some agility to compensate for his size, but we all knew this from very first day. Can't really blame him today, as first he was effed up by our own defenders in some crazy judo shitshow and second time by our very own Jorghi. At least he was sober enough to play 10x more dead than he actually was when kicked by Bowen. 

However due to way we defend (or play in general), fans who are easy to sink players in shit and mistakes he made I'm afraid he is going the very same road to loosing any confidence that Kepa did.

Edited by Vegetable

2 hours ago, Strike said:

Will be interesting to see if we overpay Mendy with the new contract.  It's quite obvious that his biggest weaknesses are:

- Rushing out of goal

- Poor with the ball at his feet (can't deal with any sort of pressure)

- His general command of the defense in set piece situations

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

I think Kepa will benefit a lot under Potter, no way Potter will tolerate a keeper like Mendy who is so poor on the ball and building from the back.

Kepa just needs to be solid.

To be honest, it's hard to think of a time where Kepa has really been at fault (Carabao Cup wasn't on him) when called upon. 

47 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

To be honest, it's hard to think of a time where Kepa has really been at fault (Carabao Cup wasn't on him) when called upon. 

I don't agree. If we're talking when he's covered for Mendy he should have saved KDB's shot, was rooted to his line for the Brighton corner and fucked up badly vs Spurs in the second leg only for them to one up him and conspire to be offside. I'd say the Salzburg goal would have been saved by most keepers aswell.

There's also the encouragement he gives opposition players to factor in aswell, Tielmens practically admitted he went "fuck it it's Kepa" in the cup final.

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

I don't agree. If we're talking when he's covered for Mendy he should have saved KDB's shot, was rooted to his line for the Brighton corner and fucked up badly vs Spurs in the second leg only for them to one up him and conspire to be offside. I'd say the Salzburg goal would have been saved by most keepers aswell.

There's also the encouragement he gives opposition players to factor in aswell, Tielmens practically admitted he went "fuck it it's Kepa" in the cup final.

I'm talking in general. He played well in a number of cup games last season, kept a clean sheet home & away against Spurs and most recently, kept the score somewhat respectable against Zagreb. 

He has flaws in his game that anyone & their dog can point out, but I can't think of a goal that's been a direct result of his inability or self-inflicted. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, though.

4 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I'm talking in general. He played well in a number of cup games last season, kept a clean sheet home & away against Spurs and most recently, kept the score somewhat respectable against Zagreb. 

He has flaws in his game that anyone & their dog can point out, but I can't think of a goal that's been a direct result of his inability or self-inflicted. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong, though.

Edited. 

Edited by Reddish-Blue
Made comment about wrong player

39 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

What about him gifting the goal to Leeds?   The Leeds attacker pressed him, he got scared and conceded an open goal when all he had to do was clear the ball.   He was also at fault for Real Madrid burning us in the Champions League (think it was Benzema who said Mendy lost his head after the game)

He is referring to Kepa, not Mendy 😄 

• 1 month later...
Just now, Vesper said:

fucking fraud, horrible WC game v the Dutch

what a clown

that CL win is looking like just as much a fluke as the 2012, maybe even more so

Senegal would have gotten a point without him.

His first season with us was nothing more than a purple patch.