Kai Havertz

Blues11

I know it was his first game for us and I know he can play in different positions, I hope Lampard will eventually play Havertz in the No.10 role soon - which is arguably his best position - rather than "abuse" his versatility and move him around and not let him develop in his best position.

Pretty sure he was played on the right on purpose today to keep him a bit out of the meat-grinding middle. RLC was tasked with taking down the long balls. He did not do particularly well but Havertz would have been crushed by Dunk. Quiet debut. Give him time. The pressure clearly took to him but he will be fine once he settles.

he has two main positions

CAM/No 10

and as a striker, whether alone or in a pairing

he can score a shedload of goals as a striker. teamed with Timo they could be a terror

I hope Lampard is creative enough to try this

I HATE rigidity

its why Sarri and the 2nd season Conte drove me bonkers

Hes got the same body language as ozil or berbatov where he may look gloomy or upset but its hard to tell. Had a few moments where he was clearly annoyed he played poorly but hopefully that bad

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Glad we didn't sign him for 100mil. The pressure he would have been under would be unreal. Average performance, but he'll get there.

Once the more creative player Ziyech comes back, he can concentrate on making runs in behind for Ziyech to find him. He is usually good at making runs off the ball.

2 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

Glad we didn't sign him for 100mil. The pressure he would have been under would be unreal. Average performance, but he'll get there.

Once the more creative player Ziyech comes back, he can concentrate on making runs in behind for Ziyech to find him. He is usually good at making runs off the ball.

The thing is, what's the alternative if Ziyech isn't playing? Ziyech is likely to be out for a few more weeks. 

7 hours ago, Tomo said:

Play him in the middle and try to get the James-CHO chemistry going down the right. 

That would be the logical move but CHO must be not doing something right in Lampard's eyes if he can't even get into the XI right now with Pulisic and Ziyech out. 

He had a very average debut, but I blame Frank for it more than Kai.

Havertz is very versatile, but that doesnt mean he can play any position in any system.
Yesterday, he was a winger without both space and service. Whenever he got the ball, it was a slow pass with him not facing the opposition's goal, and with a player or two on him instantly. While he is very skilled, he is not a Sancho that can make that work somehow. 
Instead, his best qualities were completely nullified from where he was playing.

It was so rare to see him have the ball, face the right direction and with space to run in. I think the first time he had it was in the second half when he managed to play it out for a throw (quite funny, I was just thinking "ah, now we will see what he can do" like a second before that). 
Just before his sub he started being able to play the ball from a more central position and he linked with James very well. 

I look forward to seeing him in a central position moving forwards. 

Other than that, I really don't get what this formation is supposed to do. usually what happens is Kante/other player wins back the ball, plays it back to Zouma/Andreas who in turn pass it between each other for a while, pass it to a FB who eventually hoofs it up and the whole sequence restarts. Mount and Havertz are not really wingers, but the real problem was how we were not able to progress at all in the center. Whenever we did involve the wingers, they were far too deep and already crowded. 

Slow start but he wasn't terrible.

Can't expect everyone to dominate on their first game especially in the current circumstances. By next week he'll have doubled his time with the club. Add to that he hasn't played competitive football in ages and was playing somewhat out of position it's to be expected.

When fully match fit I think he'll be an effective option on the right but hopefully we can get ziyech back so we can move him centrally.