Mikel John Obi

Badboy

The latter

:yes:

anyways, our "attacks" after mikel came off was more than clear an indication of how important it is to have a ball winner. dont get me wrong, if we had someone like lamps/bison/ballack in place of cesc, and then made the sub of mikel out, hazard in, it would have seemed well. putting cesc in the mid was always going to result in mid getting over run.

:yes:

anyways, our "attacks" after mikel came off was more than clear an indication of how important it is to have a ball winner. dont get me wrong, if we had someone like lamps/bison/ballack in place of cesc, and then made the sub of mikel out, hazard in, it would have seemed well. putting cesc in the mid was always going to result in mid getting over run.

Fair enough but we disagree on how good a ball winning mid Mikel is.

Also there are other ways to win the ball back - pushing your def line up (zouma is used to play ball winning) of with other type of players like Ramires etc

I just did not find the attempt, the strategy change wrong. He had to try and incur into risk because of the little time left.

• 4 weeks later...

Against WHU, one of the better games (as a sub) I've seen of him lately and still far from good enough IMO.

He had one good pass to Eden on the left and everything else was the same bureaucratic drivel I expect from him. We were a man down and he - rightfully so - moved up the pitch (prob instructed to do so), but then as always he was completely ineffective going forward.

No I do not expect him to dribble past 2 players and score, but I do expect him to try to assist, try to shoot from outside the box, or make a run just to confuse the markers. He doesn't do any of that though; no shots attempted for a guy who had so much of the football and was under no pressure - opponents know about his attacking numbers.

Mikel and Ramires as CMs is just sad... They just don't produce anything going forward and the attacking players suffer.

Against WHU, one of the better games (as a sub) I've seen of him lately and still far from good enough IMO.

He had one good pass to Eden on the left and everything else was the same bureaucratic drivel I expect from him. We were a man down and he - rightfully so - moved up the pitch (prob instructed to do so), but then as always he was completely ineffective going forward.

No I do not expect him to dribble past 2 players and score, but I do expect him to try to assist, try to shoot from outside the box, or make a run just to confuse the markers. He doesn't do any of that though; no shots attempted for a guy who had so much of the football and was under no pressure - opponents know about his attacking numbers.

Mikel and Ramires as CMs is just sad... They just don't produce anything going forward and the attacking players suffer.

What is it with you and Mikel? I have a feeling you'd kick him in the shin if you ever met him.

What is it with you and Mikel? I have a feeling you'd kick him in the shin if you ever met him.

Not at all - nothing personal. Just think he is a lousy footballer. And these days I even question whether a playyer such as mikel is even needed as all top clubs don't employ them any more.

And to be honest it's not like I say 'mikel sucks!' But rather give very specific reasons why I believe he is insufficient - thought his 600 odd minutes in epl in our winning season was reason enough (that he isn't good enough to play).

Also I did Not say he was the reason we lost today - no single player is. And ivanovic did not play against WHU. :)

Not at all - nothing personal. Just think he is a lousy footballer. And these days I even question whether a playyer such as mikel is even needed as all top clubs don't employ them any more.

And to be honest it's not like I say 'mikel sucks!' But rather give very specific reasons why I believe he is insufficient - thought his 600 odd minutes in epl in our winning season was reason enough (that he isn't good enough to play).

Also I did Not say he was the reason we lost today - no single player is. And ivanovic did not play against WHU. :)

I agree with you a lot of times, I'm not exactly a fan of Mikel either (understatement), and I find it very funny how Mikel pushes your buttons. You respectfully rip him to shreds.

@Robguima, I really like you as a poster on here, but mate, you're honestly starting to drift into PhillDriver territory with this Mikel obsession of yours! :lol:

Heh fair enough :)

Though I am actually satisfied that he hardly plays.

My dumbfoundedness relates to why we have him in the roster - Mikel is a solution in search of a problem that Chelsea fc don't have.

See if I buy into the burned out idea caused by little to no rotation, then I look at the roster and understand why we do not rotate.

I recur because it is a recurring problem - not Mikel himself but him not being the type of player we need (to rotate).

• 1 month later...

I wish we had prime Essien and Carvalho right now!