Mikel John Obi

Badboy

I think this gives Mikel a fresh start in some ways. He won't have to shoulder all of the responsibility of holding in front of the defence because Matic seems more than capable of doing that. I'm excited to see how they play together because they could be a dynamic midfield pairing who can control the ball and get forward too.

I hope you're right. I think in theory the two can make a fantastic pivot. Very solid defensively, and strong physically. Both can pass with great accuracy and both rarely if ever lose the ball. Let's hope that reality complies with theory.

How did I go off topic there? You are the one thay brought in his performances for nigerian NT.

Having trouble understanding English?

I said he is forced to be a DM here but plays in a different position (CM) for Nigeria. You say Nigeria is not comparable to Chelsea... Where did that come from? :blink:

I think the point of getting Matic was that Jose wants a dynamic pivot for his pressing system. So I think that the starting pivot players will be Ramirs and Matic. That said, I think Mikel will continue to play the role he's played since the start of the season.

Yes it could as well be ramires-matic but situations like injury can come up and force mourinho to play both matic and mikel, giving mikel more license to go forward knowing matic back.

I think this gives Mikel a fresh start in some ways. He won't have to shoulder all of the responsibility of holding in front of the defence because Matic seems more than capable of doing that. I'm excited to see how they play together because they could be a dynamic midfield pairing who can control the ball and get forward too.

This is exactly what I mean...

very good read: http://www.goal.com/en-sg/news/3883/features/2014/01/17/4548754/does-matic-signing-spell-the-end-of-mikels-chelsea-stay

couldn't agree more with this bit:

Stats-wise, his contributions are not remarkable. African midfielders such as Cheick Tiote, Karim El Ahmadi and Victor Wanyama have all averaged over twice as many tackles-per-game as Mikel—in fact, John Obi doesn’t even make the Premier League’s top 100 in this category.

Most impressive, perhaps, is his pass-completion average of 89.8%.This makes him one of the EPL’s top 20 most-consistent passers, although his impact for Chelsea is not as marked as it is for Nigeria. He makes, on average, one key pass every three games and, to date, has made only one assist all season.

Finally his passing is put in perspective.

I personally believe he will never be able to reproduce what he does for Nigeria - which wouldn't be good enough for chelsea anyway. Matic and Mikel in the Pivot would make it a very slow "pivot" indeed.

a great user comment from the article mentioned above

"Ed Dove please save us this your rubbish write-up, because you know nothing about football. For your information Joe Cole, Raul Meireles, Lassana Diarra, Michael Ballack, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Steve Sidwell, Deco, Oriol Romeu, Michael Essien, Claude Makélélé, Michael Mancienne, Mineiro, Yuri Zhirkov, Yossi Benayoun, Ramires even the so called Nemanja Matić..... still John Obi Mikel got 301 chelsea appearances. we all know knows this is not a fluke. "

a great user comment from the article mentioned above

"Ed Dove please save us this your rubbish write-up, because you know nothing about football. For your information Joe Cole, Raul Meireles, Lassana Diarra, Michael Ballack, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Steve Sidwell, Deco, Oriol Romeu, Michael Essien, Claude Makélélé, Michael Mancienne, Mineiro, Yuri Zhirkov, Yossi Benayoun, Ramires even the so called Nemanja Matić..... still John Obi Mikel got 301 chelsea appearances. we all know knows this is not a fluke. "

Yeah I too think that people who proclaim "facts" like his pass accuracy, or how many "appearances" he's got, know absolutely nothing of football; but I normally keep that to myself, and focus on specific points.

If the fact Chelsea signed Matic, and before that have employed Luiz in midfield a number of times (esp in big matches), does not tell you what role Mikel has in the squad, I really think nothing else will.

Yeah I too think that people who proclaim "facts" like his pass accuracy, or how many "appearances" he's got, know absolutely nothing of football; but I normally keep that to myself, and focus on specific points.

If the fact Chelsea signed Matic, and before that have employed Luiz in midfield a number of times (esp in big matches), does not tell you what role Mikel has in the squad, I really think nothing else will.

i wouldnt call a match against united big :P

i wouldnt call a match against united big :P

Nah... mid table United?! B) Would everton be a big match then?

You are probably talking about the away game I suppose - that (draw) was a bad result as small sides have won there.

Yes, Jose was playing Mikel some start of the season, so he got a run of games, but he hasn't had many *starts* lately. I thought he only had 8 starts in how many matches?

I'm confused though. Do you really think Mikel is going to play more now that we've got Matic?! Reckon we'd not have gotten Matic if Jose and Chelsea had confidence in Mikel as a starter.

Nah... mid table United?! B) Would everton be a big match then?

You are probably talking about the away game I suppose - that (draw) was a bad result as small sides have won there.

Yes, Jose was playing Mikel some start of the season, so he got a run of games, but he hasn't had many *starts* lately. I thought he only had 8 starts in how many matches?

I'm confused though. Do you really think Mikel is going to play more now that we've got Matic?! Reckon we'd not have gotten Matic if Jose and Chelsea had confidence in Mikel as a starter.

i dont belive matic is gona start every match for mikel he can also rotate for ramires(i mean mikel-matic pairing is possible). but only time will tell.what i dont agree is that is mikel gona thrown away like that article is suggesting.

i dont belive matic is gona start every match for mikel he can also rotate for ramires(i mean mikel-matic pairing is possible). but only time will tell.what i dont agree is that is mikel gona thrown away like that article is suggesting.

Well that really depends on his ambition as a player.

I reckon he will play even less now with another option in midfield, and that may or may not be OK with him.

He's reportedly on a 75K a week, which could make him accept whatever role Chelsea will have for him.

We will find out soon enough.