Worst Chelsea players in 21st century?

NikkiCFC

I saw some online article about this topic and didn't agree with it at all so I was wondering what you guys think? Article is a bit old and has Torres and Shevchenko on it. Yes we paid a lot for them but still they gave us something back, expecially Torres so I don't think he should be there. Opinions? 

I feel Torres was the worst player in the 21st century for us. Its not about what he gave back to us, but what he took. Torres was a super marquee signing. The player to lead our line and keep our elite status intact. For the fee paid, he was a colossal flop.

We probably lost players like lukaku and sturridge with our insistence to just keep playing torres as the striker. A what if scenario where Kun comes here while torres goes to city, and we would have had one of the best strikers in world football playing for us for a decade. So yes, I think given the circumstances, the fee, the expectations, torres has to be regarded as the worst player for us.

Niver mind 21st century, what about in the last 10 transfer windows alone. Likes of Papy Djilobodji has to be a shout (only signed as deemed 37m for Laporte too expensive despite bidding 40m for Stones...). Or Bakayoko bar one game v United. Or Torres yes. Or Falcao. Or Pato. Or whoever. Weve had some absolute shite players when weve been at very high levels and been successful.

The most disappointing for me personally was Shevchenko who was simply a shadow of the player he was at Milan. Him and Ballack were really the first two proper superstar signings of the Roman era and having to accommodate him actually hindered us more than helped.

Torres I already had a gut feeling about struggling because he hadn't been the same player for the last 6-12 months at Liverpool and the injuries had taken away his explosive pace. Having said that it probably doesn't stop him being the biggest flop simply because of the money spent at the time was enormous and the alternatives we could have signed at the time (specifically Aguero or Suarez).

Bakayoko would have to be a close second simply because I think he may be the worst footballer I've seen at Chelsea, definitely in the Roman era and that transfer window set us back massively. (Morata and Drinkwater would be well in the mix for the discussion too)

Hard to lump together pre and post Roman era signings because the level of players went up a notch that we were in the market for when Roman brought the club. Pre Roman and within the 21st century? Not sure if they were brought in the late 90's or early 00's but Jokanovic, Jes Hogh and Lambourde were all awful, Ambrosetti was a terrible buy too. Bogarde was really abysmal too, simply with his wages being a massive drain at the time when the club struggled for money. We also shipped out Emerson Thome to bring him in who I thought was a very astute and solid signing (a bit like an Alex).

Torres is obviously not Chelsea's worst player of the 21ste century, neither are players as Shevchenko. A better title for these two would be 'most dissapointing', since they've cost a lot and never met their expectations. I would probably vote for Bogarde since he was shit and when he was offered a buyout he refused and demanded his full contract salary which was a ridiculous amount. 

We did expected more but Torres was big part of winning CL and EL. In season 12-13 he scored 22 goals in all comps. In other two full seasons he played here 11 goals each so always double figures. I would probably put Bakayoko as my first choice. Anyway I'm not sure about worst player but most frustrating players I hated seeing in lineup every time were always Mikel and Willian. Unfortunately one is still here. 

• 4 weeks later...

Mutu , Kezman , Djilobodji , Baba , Quaresma , Mineiro , Veron , Scott Parker ,  Di Santo , Cuadrado ,Boulahrouz ,  Marin , Zappacosta , Pato , Falcao , Bakayoko , Benayoun , Pizarro , Sidwell , Lassana Diarra , Smertin , Forssell , Stanic 

On 8/31/2019 at 7:07 PM, Vincent said:

Torres is obviously not Chelsea's worst player of the 21ste century, neither are players as Shevchenko. A better title for these two would be 'most dissapointing', since they've cost a lot and never met their expectations. I would probably vote for Bogarde since he was shit and when he was offered a buyout he refused and demanded his full contract salary which was a ridiculous amount. 

Correct. Worst footballer for me has to be Bakayoko. Most disappointing? Torres by a landslide.

42 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

All of you are too young to remember Jokanovic playing for us he made Baka look like Zidane.

There's slow. slower. slowest...and then Jokanovic! Offered absolutely nothing positive.

We had a really good quality midfield at the time but it was an ageing one which made his signing all the more baffling.

I think probably what his saving grace is compared to the likes of Torres and Bakayoko is he wasn't brought as a big money signing to go straight into the first team. He was brought primarily as a backup and thank god stayed that way.

On 27/09/2019 at 0:19 PM, milka said:

Mutu , Kezman , Djilobodji , Baba , Quaresma , Mineiro , Veron , Scott Parker ,  Di Santo , Cuadrado ,Boulahrouz ,  Marin , Zappacosta , Pato , Falcao , Bakayoko , Benayoun , Pizarro , Sidwell , Lassana Diarra , Smertin , Forssell , Stanic 

You forgot to add Chris Sutton to that list he was awful 👍 

• 4 months later...