Danny Drinkwater

xPetrCechx

I'm wondering what the specific role Conte has in mind for him. Probably will be competing with Cesc I think. I'm not sure we'll ever really see him without one of Kante or Bakayoko beside him. Can also envision using him in a midfield 3.

13 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I'm wondering what the specific role Conte has in mind for him. Probably will be competing with Cesc I think. I'm not sure we'll ever really see him without one of Kante or Bakayoko beside him. Can also envision using him in a midfield 3.

He's Kante n Bakayokos back up. Cesc plays a different role. 

12 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Obviously for depth as we're in 4 competitions, but I also think Conte quite likes the possibility of moving to a 3-5-2 in certain games when needed. 

32 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

Obviously for depth as we're in 4 competitions, but I also think Conte quite likes the possibility of moving to a 3-5-2 in certain games when needed. 

Remember Conte's quote where he said he was going to play Matic a lot and bleed Bakayoko in slowly? Maybe Drinkwater will start games (at least initially) more than we think.

6 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Remember Conte's quote where he said he was going to play Matic a lot and bleed Bakayoko in slowly? Maybe Drinkwater will start games (at least initially) more than we think.

He does have more experience playing in a 2-man midfield...with Kante. Not at all unlikely. 

5 hours ago, Pizy said:

I actually think he gives conte a 'safe' option in some games. Against the big teams Conte may not want us left as open as we might be playing fabregas, but he still brings a better ball playing option than kante or bakayoko might.

Similarly against weaker opponents he's good enough to do the hard work and tackling, mopping up etc to possibly play with fabregas in a 2 if we're struggling to break a team down to win a game.

As people have said he's a high upgrade on Chalobah and leaves us far stronger in that area of the park.

I like his reason for joining too. He's had a taste of winning big trophies and wants more. You'll be surprised how many people don't have that mentality and are just happy with what they've achieved previously rather than going again and kicking on.

12 hours ago, the wes said:

Interesting video 🤔🤔

Bit unfair to compare last season as Leicester had a bad season as a whole. Like use comparing the two when Leicester won the league. Matic was awful that year as was the whole squad. Would be interesting to see a comparison between 2015/16 DD and 2016/17 Matic.

On September 2, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Magic Lamps said:

Danny seems a bit like Cahill. English, not exactly world class, bought when he is about to peak but a classy guy who really wants to be here and do his best. Wish him all the best.

Good shout,  however hopefully unlike Gary he get's used appropriately and not made an untouchable.

On 01/09/2017 at 8:08 AM, Superblue_1986 said:

I think he'll become someone Conte trusts a lot. We only have to see over the last couple of days that it seems Ox and Barkley haven't got the stomach to fight for a place at the champions but he's shown the right mentality to back himself to come here and make an impact.

Of course you need options on the bench like a Barkley who can change a game that you're not winning but you also need players that can help see a game out and his Premier league experience with that to boot will make him an important option throughout the season.

People mock Cahill at times but despite any faults or flaws he's played a big part in a lot of trophies won and has obviously stepped up since at bolton. Hopefully drinkwater can do the same and kick on further with the move here.

To be fair, I don't think we've had the full story about The Ox yet. Certainly, champions or no, he would have to fight for a place in Liverpool's midfield, if that is indeed where he expects to line up. I don't think he will be going there thinking he's an automatic selection at CM for them. In that sense, he is showing a bit of fight with the decision he's made.

I was really pleased when it looked for a few hours like we might get AOC, and really disappointed when it turned out not to be. I'd love to know the truth but I wouldn't be surprised if he just felt that Liverpool will be a better side side than us and would play more expansive football. I also think there could be milage in the idea that his life will be a bit easier without the hassle he might receive from Arsenal fans if he moved across the capital.

As for Barkley. The conspiracy theory that he and Chelsea agreed to shelve the transfer until January since he can't play until November anyway, is at least plausible. Come January, the theory suggests, Chelsea will get a better deal on the fee and they can split that with Barkley in the form of a better signing on fee. Maybe, or maybe it's something more simple Like Barkley asking Antonio where he might play and the boss having no better answer than, "not really sure Ross."

A lot of unanswered questions in both cases but I think it's a bit harsh to dig the two of them out for making their choice. Personally I prefer to say nothing. Plenty of time to watch them regret it if our lads have better seasons and win more than those two do.