Antonio Rudiger

Cholo

Chelsea to consider bringing forward Antonio Rudiger's return from injury after defensive collapse in opening day defeat by Manchester United

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7350323/Chelsea-consider-bringing-forward-Antonio-Rudigers-return-injury.html

Rushing Rudy back could backfire on us I'm not a fan of rushing players back from injuries 

7 hours ago, the wes said:

Chelsea to consider bringing forward Antonio Rudiger's return from injury after defensive collapse in opening day defeat by Manchester United

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7350323/Chelsea-consider-bringing-forward-Antonio-Rudigers-return-injury.html

Rushing Rudy back could backfire on us I'm not a fan of rushing players back from injuries 

Agreed,

We cannot rush him back it is so not worth the long term risk.:fist:

Just now, the wes said:

We did the same with Kante last season and he still hasn't fully recovered from last season 

knees and Achilles are nothing to fuck about with on a footballer

you can ruin 'em for good if you push too hard and too fast

37 minutes ago, Vesper said:

knees and Achilles are nothing to fuck about with on a footballer

you can ruin 'em for good if you push too hard and too fast

I hope that the club has learnt all of the lessons from the Eva Carneiro episode. I hope that everyone has full confidence in the current club doctor and that the doctor fully deserves that confidence. I hope too that the doc is firmly in charge of clearing players to return to action and that his authority cannot be challenged by anyone up to, and including, Roman. Such a doctor should have the experience, and the integrity, to overrule over enthusiastic players and coaches alike. If that's the situation, then all is as it should be and we don't need to second guess these decisions. If the doctor is not in charge, then our club is in such a state that it is almost beyond worrying about.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Tomo said:

I have a feeling he may lose his place in the long run.

Nothing more than a hunch at this point but I've got a feeling Frank's long term plan is to sign an elite level CB and have him partner Tomori.

Rudiger definitely needs to get fully fit with a run of games this season to assess just how much difference he can make to this back line, and also to see how well he can strike a partnership with Tomori.

I'm not sure who would constitute 'elite'. Would that be top 5 - 10 in the world? Van Dijk almost feels like an anomaly because he's far ahead of anybody else, attainable or not, at present. 

I wouldn't class Rudiger as elite as per above, but I do think he's in the group below this (probably somewhere within the top 10-20 centre back in the world). Beyond Van Dijk (and possibly Laporte) I don't think there's anyone in the Premier League that is any better than him and the market is completely broken now with the Maguire transfer. That means looking abroad, and there will be some definite risk involved picking up a defender who needs to adapt to the league but also step into a leadership role as the senior player within that defence (assuming long term Reece James replaces Azpilicueta).

A big question when Rudiger returns is can he improve further? Maybe not so much technically, but he will need to step up in the absence of David Luiz and be the leader in that defence, especially if Tomori ends up being the other first choice centre back. He definitely on the face of things, seems to have a leadership mentality and appears to have an excellent relationship with some of the younger boys but he has to step up now and show it because it's sorely needed.

Hopefully we get to see a good stretch of games with Rudiger and Tomori as the centre backs and allows us to assess if it will be good enough to challenge for trophies moving forward, or whether it is an area we need to improve on next season in the market.

• 2 weeks later...

Need to be very careful with him and any other players this season who end up needing treatment I think as we seem to have had a lot of reoccuring injuries with a few guys already.

This is based on how Kante, Emerson, even beforehand when Rudiger played himself before getting injured again/not being fit enough and having to come off... its either rushing players back or sheer hard luck but I think its more likely to be rushing them in all fairness because it seemed to be a pretty obvious pattern. Rudiger played after recovering, injured again. Kante and Emerson both the same.

Weve been good over the years in terms of avoiding huge amounts of injuries as well. Okay Ruben and Callum suffered big ones but I think they were unlucky. Although Ruben and Callum had also accumulated a lot of minutes in a short period of time beforehand, (under a manager who rarely rotated) I think but will need to check to be sure.