Jan Oblak

Captain Ahmed

Just now, Strike said:

Should the club spend 60m on a GK though? In the short time left in the window, would prefer strengthening elsewhere and signing a stop-gap keeper

Get Fekir, Bailey or Martial and play Green or Cabalero in between the sticks?

My heart says no and my head says no also.

Just now, DDA said:

Get Fekir, Bailey or Martial and play Green or Cabalero in between the sticks?

My heart says no and my head says no also.

Not Green or Caballero. Someone like Schmeichel, Kepa, Cillessen, Areola, Butland, Navas, Yann Sommer. The best one available. If they are in good form, it won't be a massive difference from Courtois last season tbh. 

2 hours ago, Strike said:

Not Green or Caballero. Someone like Schmeichel, Kepa, Cillessen, Areola, Butland, Navas, Yann Sommer. The best one available. If they are in good form, it won't be a massive difference from Courtois last season tbh. 

The issue is that the so called best available ones wouldnt come in cheap ... because the clubs know that we are fucked already. 

It seems that some fans and even the club are slightly disconnected from the reality of today's market. No one will come in cheap at Chelsea. Or maybe it will, if by cheap you mean anything between 30m and 50m. This league is getting huge revenues, specially the first 6-7 clubs and everyone knows it. Now with the window closing earlier the pressure is even bigger for Chelsea, City, United, Liverpool, Spurs or Arsenal.They need players, they are rich and everyone else knows they're rich. So basically everyone will try sqeezing fees as big as possible when dealing with these clubs. No one will sell you cheap players. If we are not willing to adapt to that, we will stop being successful. Simple as. 

From where I'm standing, I say sell Courtois and buy a good goalkeeper. Not a decent one, but a good one. Very few Chelsea supporters can say that they loved Courtois. He's not really a likeable dude, he didn't kiss the badge, he didn't pledge eternal faith to the blue colour, but he was a good goalkeeper for us. He's not been great, but he's been good. And if we think that it will be easy finding a replacement, I think we're wrong. Finding a good goalkeeper nowadays is difficult, just look at how much City struggled before Ederson. 

And by the way, I think we should be looking for someone like Ederson. Why does it always feel like this club's transfer policy is dictated by Twitter? We always go for the obvious options, exactly those options that the Twitter experts learn about while playing FIFA. I really wish we would go for the less obvious choices for once. Why can't we find an Ederson of our own? I keep asking myself that. There are so many good teams in Europe, others than those in Serie A (a league which we seem to have an obsession with lately) that could offer decent options. Belgium, Portugal, Croatia, France, even Russia are all great markets but it seems that we are only sending scouters in Italy. 

This club's making life very difficult for itself, in my opinion. Health, sustainable, long term success will only be a dream if we keep going like this. 

But I'm no expert neither in money or football management. There might be plenty of things that I'm or we're not aware of, but this is how it feels. The transfer policy has been a mess for the last few seasons. 

Spend peanuts, get monkey's! Need to pay top dollar if you want top players. If we buy butland now for 30 mill we'll be buying the next top keeper in no time and trying to make a few quid on Butland. Just buy to strengthen the club and stop signing short term solutions 

We were prepared to pay the Alisson fee reportedly to sign him but he wanted Liverpool. If this is true then perhaps the links to Kepa and Oblak aren't as far-fetched. We will be recouping a fair chunk of their fee by selling Courtois.

In my opinion if we can pull off a deal like this then make it happen. As much as most of us don't like him, Courtois is one of the world's elite keepers and losing him means losing one of our 'world class' players. Those types of players need replacing properly. We've been blessed with Cech and then Courtois for the best part of 15 years.

However IF something like this isn't possible or the club isn't prepared to pay such a fee, then I hope we don't go for a middle tier goalkeeper for big money. Someone like Schmeichel I could see costing the best part of £50m as it is which would be disastrous as we'd be committed to making him work then given the price just like we have before with the likes of Torres and Morata. 

59 minutes ago, Marvin123 said:

I agree we do the smokescreen very often but not sure who is this time 😂

Looking like Kepa, Butlands links have gone quiet today while Kepa's are doing the opposite.

7 hours ago, Henrique said:

Oblak is average as you like. You dont buy a GK that cant save penalties.

:lol:

Mate just because we played penalties against Inter, Lyon and Arsenal in preseason, it doesnt mean we will play penalties every game this season.

And even then, Oblak is more than decent on penalties. I guess having world class reflexes, shot stopping ability and catching the balls instead of blasting it out means absolutely zero to you.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You