Marcos Alonso

Chelsea4

heh the penalty he got, which was debatable but not an absurd call, was the result of a great overlap, which admittedly he could indeed do more of, esp in the final third. He tends to operate a bit deeper in midfield, which made him a good fit for a 5 in the middle IMO. Still quality guy and we prob would one him in the squad one way or another.

Considering his quality inside the box, perhaps we should try him up front on occasion. Perhaps when chasing a goal, stick Emerson in LF and push Alsonso up. 

On 8/27/2018 at 5:08 AM, Thor said:

I'm still not opposed to him playing striker.

He has the best shot on our team bar none.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It would be pure genius if it happened.

But I done see why short experiments like that during a some games should be tried. Sadly cant see it tho.

As fantastic as his start has been, I feel we shouldn't get carried away here. I have a sneaky suspicion he is going to let us down defensively when it matters. It'a all well and good being good in attaching positions but in a back 4, hid number 1 duty is to defend. 

31 minutes ago, DDA said:

As fantastic as his start has been, I feel we shouldn't get carried away here. I have a sneaky suspicion he is going to let us down defensively when it matters. It'a all well and good being good in attaching positions but in a back 4, hid number 1 duty is to defend. 

Similar to last season when he started with those goals against Tottenham

Interesting that other attacking FBs don’t get the same criticism for lacking in defense (and most are not good in the air). Teams balance that out esp if you already have a purely defensive FB on the other side. Which makes covering even easier.

The system should play to the strength of the players you’ve got. Alonso is a threat to the opposition. If he is poor in defense get someone to cover him when he goes up. Who? Anyone who does not contribute as much as he does.

pretty common practice actually.

thats 2 games in a row he has bailed us out with late strikes, turning potential draws in to wins, say what you will but the guy is decisive when it matters more often than not, altough his lack of speed is an issue he makes up for it by scoring goals, always appearing in scoring positions, he looks like a proper finisher, also very strong in the air, can score via setpieces or open play, thats where his main attributes are and right now i wouldnt trade him for any other fullback, his goals are too priceless.

This guy never gets the respect he deserves on here, it's quite laughable.
He's a decent attacking LB who lacks pace and awareness, which doesn't make him an undisputed defender at this level.

I think most people give him his dues when deserving.

This guy never gets the respect he deserves on here, it's quite laughable.

Last season there were more games where he was a liability more than anything. Contributed nothing in defence or attack with a few exceptions. If he manages to stay consistently good, at least in attacking sense, then you will see a lot more respect towards him. Too early to claim anything with only 3 games in. 

PS I will never have much respect for him due to his past. He is an okay player, that's it.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, manpe said:

Last season there were more games where he was a liability more than anything. Contributed nothing in defence or attack with a few exceptions. If he manages to stay consistently good, at least in attacking sense, then you will see a lot more respect towards him. Too early to claim anything with only 3 games in. 

PS I will never have much respect for him due to his past. He is an okay player, that's it.

A bit harsh considering that he got 7 goals last season. I don't think I have seen a FB/WB get those amounts before. Worth noting that he scored more goals from open play than from set piece situations too. I get what you are saying in regards to overlapping runs etc, however he picks his runs wisely. For all the overlapping FB such as Robertson, Walker and Mendy who I rate really highly, they don't actually score much goals at all.

Needs credit for what he's done, scored some crucial goals.

Important he ups his game at defending, he will come up against some much better opponents in the coming months.

Right now he's doing good things.

14 minutes ago, manpe said:

Maybe harsh, but I did say with a few exceptions. Some of the games where he scored he was still bad though. If a striker makes a goal-line clearance I will applaud him, but I won't judge his striking ability on that. As I won't give huge weight to a FB occasionally being in the right place at the right time or scoring the odd FK or two. Take away the goals and there's not much left to consider him anything special.

Well said.

29 minutes ago, manpe said:

Maybe harsh, but I did say with a few exceptions. Some of the games where he scored he was still bad though. If a striker makes a goal-line clearance I will applaud him, but I won't judge his striking ability on that. As I won't give huge weight to a FB occasionally being in the right place at the right time or scoring the odd FK or two. Take away the goals and there's not much left to consider him anything special.

His defense problem wouldn't be as big if Luiz wasn't having his own issues.

But I do think that once we get the team pressing and defending tighter those issues wont be as big as they are now.

And to be fair on the guy he wasn't the only player not to do his job for several months last season.

I do wish we had gone for Telles! He would be great with us

5 hours ago, manpe said:

I hear you, but FBs have two jobs: one is to defend and the other is to contribute in attack. Some would say that an attacking FB's job is to attack first, again esp because the other one we got produces little in the final third.

You literally cannot contribute more in attack than scoring a goal.

And as mentioned above, these are important goals who change/changed games. Dribbling and linking up play nicely may or may not change games... Goals always do.

11 hours ago, Robguima said:

Interesting that other attacking FBs don’t get the same criticism for lacking in defense (and most are not good in the air). Teams balance that out esp if you already have a purely defensive FB on the other side. Which makes covering even easier.

The system should play to the strength of the players you’ve got. Alonso is a threat to the opposition. If he is poor in defense get someone to cover him when he goes up. Who? Anyone who does not contribute as much as he does.

pretty common practice actually.

Alonso is not a good attacking FB, credit to him for his end product. Watch him for 90minutes he doesn't really attack well unlike other attacking FB. Other attacking FB put the opposition on their back foot and make them cautious attacking on their side. Alonso is a weakness and other teams target him.