Riyad Mahrez

2 hours ago, Polo7 said:

Hazard is lazy, last thing we need is another lazy forward. It would mean Costa pressing on his own most of the game. Also no help to the wing backs.

Hazard is not lazy this season at all.

Always chasing the ball when he is near, he has been absolutely fantastic in that aspect this season. Even in meaningless game against Watford, he ran like mad. 

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

The thing about Mahrez is that he perfectly fits our system. Our way of counter-attacking is similar to Leicester's in their title winning season based on risky balls to the wings, relying on them to cut dribble at high pace cutting inside and then having a striker playing off the shoulder or an overlapping fullback as alternative. If and that is a big if he can replicate his title-winning form he would be great left footed compliment to Hazard. We have been crying for someone who can run with the ball and beat players on that left side for ages. 

I can see you where you are getting at but here's the thing - how often do we play on the break? How often will sides open themselves up against us like they foolishly did against Leicester last season? Our approach is more proactive than Leicester's and it's highly unlikely Mahrez get as much joy in offence as he did last season.

21 minutes ago, Jason said:

I can see you where you are getting at but here's the thing - how often do we play on the break? How often will sides open themselves up against us like they foolishly did against Leicester last season? Our approach is more proactive than Leicester's and it's highly unlikely Mahrez get as much joy in offence as he did last season.

Players motivation/performance is affected by team performance and quality. Losing Kante affected very badly Leicester. Galacticos were similarly affected when they lost Makalele.

Very fast players without much skill are only effective when they have open space. Mahrez is not like that. He has good technique, just needs to be trained to improve his decisions.

6 hours ago, 11Drogba said:

Players motivation/performance is affected by team performance and quality. Losing Kante affected very badly Leicester. Galacticos were similarly affected when they lost Makalele.

:lol: That's no excuse!

6 hours ago, 11Drogba said:

Very fast players without much skill are only effective when they have open space. Mahrez is not like that. He has good technique, just needs to be trained to improve his decisions.

So you're essentially saying he's another Willian then? Sure, let's go sign more brainless players because our squad hasn't got enough of them!

So far I've not seen any big clubs genuinely been linked with signing Mahrez, not any of the English sides or others around Europe. That itself probably says a lot and last year, I recall Arsenal were the only ones who were reportedly interested in signing him. If no one was lining up back then to sign Mahrez when he was supposedly on top of the world, I don't see why they will be keen to sign him after a desperately average season.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

:lol: That's no excuse!

So you're essentially saying he's another Willian then? Sure, let's go sign more brainless players because our squad hasn't got enough of them!

So far I've not seen any big clubs genuinely been linked with signing Mahrez, not any of the English sides or others around Europe. That itself probably says a lot and last year, I recall Arsenal were the only ones who were reportedly interested in signing him. If no one was lining up back then to sign Mahrez when he was supposedly on top of the world, I don't see why they will be keen to sign him after a desperately average season.

That's a fact in team sports. People who ignore that fact even called Courtois overrated last season.

No I am not saying he is another Willian. He's a better dribbler than Willian.

Thing is people forget Leicester's title winning campaign and his performance in that particular season. He was brilliant then, Robben-esque in my view. Similar to Chelsea's disastrous season, one can not turn from great to dog turd in the blink of an eye. There must be a reason why he's lost his motivation and hunger. Best example is Chelsea's squad - from 10th to league champions under the right guidance. 

Mahrez was a joy to watch that season and his trickery was something else. Really feel Conte would take him to the next level. A guy that wins a record breaking EPL campaign with a Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso as the first choice full backs and Cahill and David Luiz in defence can't do any wrong with a player like Mahrez. 

Also I'm on the opinion that every team should have a good left footed player in their team. You look at all the very big teams out there - Messi, Bale, Robben, Dybala. Then on a lesser scale there is Dortmund's Dembele, City's Silva & Sane (now Bernardo Silva), Di Maria, Monaco's Lemar (they had Bernardo Silva, too). Others, too(Douglas Costa, James, etc) won't name all. Bottom line is that you are always going to find a very good/decent left footed player in every big team.

Mahrez might not be a world beater, but I'd have him here to be honest. Atmosphere is exceptional and Conte is a wonderful manager - pretty sure Mahrez would replicate that title winning season should his confidence hits sky high levels again. Looking back at that season I remember the nutmeg on Hazard - made Eden look like a pub player. Took on league's best player and nutmeged him like he wasn't even there - this is what confidence brings out a player.

6 hours ago, petre.ispirescu said:

Thing is people forget Leicester's title winning campaign and his performance in that particular season. He was brilliant then, Robben-esque in my view. Similar to Chelsea's disastrous season, one can not turn from great to dog turd in the blink of an eye. There must be a reason why he's lost his motivation and hunger. Best example is Chelsea's squad - from 10th to league champions under the right guidance. 

Mahrez was a joy to watch that season and his trickery was something else. Really feel Conte would take him to the next level. A guy that wins a record breaking EPL campaign with a Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso as the first choice full backs and Cahill and David Luiz in defence can't do any wrong with a player like Mahrez. 

Also I'm on the opinion that every team should have a good left footed player in their team. You look at all the very big teams out there - Messi, Bale, Robben, Dybala. Then on a lesser scale there is Dortmund's Dembele, City's Silva & Sane (now Bernardo Silva), Di Maria, Monaco's Lemar (they had Bernardo Silva, too). Others, too(Douglas Costa, James, etc) won't name all. Bottom line is that you are always going to find a very good/decent left footed player in every big team.

Mahrez might not be a world beater, but I'd have him here to be honest. Atmosphere is exceptional and Conte is a wonderful manager - pretty sure Mahrez would replicate that title winning season should his confidence hits sky high levels again. Looking back at that season I remember the nutmeg on Hazard - made Eden look like a pub player. Took on league's best player and nutmeged him like he wasn't even there - this is what confidence brings out a player.

He might be as good, or he might become just another Willian or Pedro. A player who is alright, but doesnt realy change the play like Hazard.

I hope if we go for another RW, we go heavy on some top class player or simply stay with Pedro until next summer. 

Mahrez had one good season. Dont say whole Leicester was poor this season because thats hardly an excuse for someone who is supposed to be brilliant player (what we need for RW). Payet still pulled strings in a shit west ham, there is no excuse. 

We were trying with so many players like Cuadrado, Salah,...I think its time for someone actualy proven.

Seriously? I don't get why people so fixated on this one season wonder. He had three average seasons, so average that you don't remember but one good season then everyone loses their mind.

do we really need another average player likes willian? 

13 hours ago, petre.ispirescu said:

Looking back at that season I remember the nutmeg on Hazard - made Eden look like a pub player. Took on league's best player and nutmeged him like he wasn't even there - this is what confidence brings out a player.

Hazard is not a defender, "league's best player" doesn't mean anything here. I'm sure Messi is easily nutmegged too. If he was the league's best defender, then that would be worth mentioning.

14 hours ago, petre.ispirescu said:

Agree, he has showed to the world what he is capable of 2 years ago, and if it is still not enough to convince everyone, I don't know what else needed. Also it is happened in 2015-16 season, not that in 5+ years ago or something. Definitely not "down the hill, he is finished" yet.

On 31.5.2017 at 10:44 PM, Jason said:

That is a good point, but didn't we prove we are good against the small sides that park the bus this season still? Various sides opened up to us, even smaller sides, even at the bridge. I think we have had the multiple opportunities for fast breaks every game. Actually our strategy in those games has been inviting the pressure on. When our first, early line of pressing failed, we usually retreat all players behind the ball and defend in numbers. This forces the opponent to get numbers forward to have any attacking impact and not be badly outnumbered on the flanks and this is where we are most dangerous at. Also Mahrez has the ability to score goals out of nothing when he is on fire. Pedro and Hazard can do so too, but when one is injured or marked out of the game we struggle to create chances. mahrez surely is not the only option and not without risk but a left footed goal threat definitely adds something to our play. 

http://www.espnfc.com/blog/soccer-usa/3/post/3136781/riyad-mahrez-has-missed-his-chance-to-seal-a-big-move-from-leicester-city

The explanation for this might be because teams double-marked him, or because Leicester in general reverted to nearer their natural level of performance, or maybe simply because he isn't anywhere near as good as his one brilliant season suggested. Perhaps Mahrez is the ultimate example of Leicester's outlier status: a player who performed wildly above his actual ability in the best purple patch of all.

Leicester will ask for a significant transfer fee, probably in the region of £40 million, but it's tough to see any of the top six clubs in England paying that. All either have more reliable players in his position, more urgent problems to attend to, or both.

Tottenham might appear the most logical fit, but in an interview with L'Equipe last year Mahrez admitted he isn't a big fan of relentless running and defending: his first training session with Mauricio Pochettino would be interesting, to say the least.

19 hours ago, petre.ispirescu said:

depends entirely on the fee and then of course the wage demands.

For me, I don't like signing players after they're coming off such a poor season. 

If he's willing to sign a performance based contract I'm cool with that but to give him big dollars based on work from two years ago and no previous history? Nah

I'm just saying "yes" to any player I think is talented, has the ability to be world class, and can improve the team lol. Mahrez can join if he wants, we need to really add to our squad this summer. I'm nervous about a sophomore slump for Conte with the addition of Champions League football, so we should really risk it with too many players rather than too little.

10 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

That is a good point, but didn't we prove we are good against the small sides that park the bus this season still? Various sides opened up to us, even smaller sides, even at the bridge. I think we have had the multiple opportunities for fast breaks every game. Actually our strategy in those games has been inviting the pressure on. When our first, early line of pressing failed, we usually retreat all players behind the ball and defend in numbers. This forces the opponent to get numbers forward to have any attacking impact and not be badly outnumbered on the flanks and this is where we are most dangerous at.

That might be true but we don't play exclusively on the counter attack and while I do believe we scored a decent amount of goals from those situations this past season, we didn't score such goals in every game and we certainly didn't play on the break every time. It's just when we have to defend, we defend and when we can attack, we attack. Do agree that the smaller sides do take a more proactive approach against us but not all and compared to against Leicester, teams are way more likely to commit men forward against them than us.

10 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Also Mahrez has the ability to score goals out of nothing when he is on fire. Pedro and Hazard can do so too, but when one is injured or marked out of the game we struggle to create chances. mahrez surely is not the only option and not without risk but a left footed goal threat definitely adds something to our play. 

That's the risky part here. Mahrez was on fire 2 seasons ago and has been for only 1 in his career. Can we be certain that isn't a one off thing? I know Leicester struggled in the season that just ended but on an individual level, players should still perform week in week out to do themselves justice, much like what Willian did last season. But did Mahrez do that? And if we are going to spend around £40m - assuming the price tag on him mentioned above is true as he did only sign a new contract last year - on someone, I want certainties that the player will improve us and put performances out there on the pitch. Last thing we want is another expensive flop a la Torres who only turns up once in a blue moon.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You