Riyad Mahrez

How would he play ahead of Pedro and Willian? He isn't as good as neither imo. People really underrate the importance those two have to our team. 
but mahrez has creativity and finisihing ahead of willian...

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be over the moon if we signed him, an amazing player. He's like a golden middle between Hazard and Mata in terms of style, something we lack.

I doublt it's going to happen though, for few reasons.

Since the start of the summer transfer window, we knew he wanted to leave.
It's too much for Leicester to lose both Drinkwater and Mahrez.

Still we have Kante in the team, if he tells them good things...once can always hope :ph34r:

53 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

Just wondering why did we not sign Mahrez ... at 45m he was a steal and he was available as well. 

Not saying he is a world class player but he would have been a very good addition to the squad. 

There's a reason why no-one signed him.  Arsenal could have had him, even Spurs could have had him but in the end, no-one wanted to pay 45 million for him.  

Leicester scared everyone off after rejecting Roma's 31.8 million (which is a fair price for a purely attacking player). 

1 minute ago, Reddish-Blue said:

There's a reason why no-one signed him.  Arsenal could have had him, even Spurs could have had him but in the end, no-one wanted to pay 45 million for him.  

Leicester scared everyone off after rejecting Roma's 31.8 million (which is a fair price for a purely attacking player). 

First thing first, I dont want to know wht the others didnt sign because there is no link to as why we didnt.

And didnt we pay 35m for Drinkwater? So r u saying that Drinkwater is a better player than Mahrez, yes different positions but quality wise Mahrez is any day better than Drinkwater. 

If you really want to check others, then is Walker worth 50m. Dembele went for god damn 100m is he worth even half that money. Arsenal put up a bid of 90m for Lemar ... seriously!!!! It is a hugely inflated market out there ,,, money cannot be a factor for the top clubs to reject good players.

1 hour ago, Mana said:

I think you missed out a key important factor here.

Drinkwater and Walker have something that Mahrez does not have. Homegrown, English status.

What does that got to do with signing a good player because we signed Zappacosta for 25 and he is unknown. The market is insane and 45 right now for a good player is a steal. 

1 minute ago, Mana said:

...have you been following?

The reason why we got Zappacosta, was because we failed to sign Oxlade-Chamberlain who IS homegrown. And we were getting desperate.

and YES we have let go of 2 English players, meaning we need to replace those 2 English players with another 2 English players. Homegrown status is very important now in today's football, and we are Chelsea - an English club. Only Cahill is in the starting XI that is English.

No i havent been following ... 

Whats your point? That we let go off Mahrez so we could get Drinkwater to fill our HG quota Is that you mean? If yes, why didnt we bid for both ... Mahrez was available, he was roaming around waiting for someone to come and get him. 

And YES I m aware that we are an English club just like every other club in the PL. We always were less in the homegrown dept, it's nothing new this season. 

6 minutes ago, Mana said:

I don't think Leicester are willing to let go of both, and Roma bidded £31 odd million for him and it got turned down. So it's most likely £40m or more before we can get Mahrez. The board won't spend 70m on the final day unless the player is world-class. The board seem to get players around £30m mark, unless WC or a special player like Morata.

And to be honest, Mahrez isn't worth £40 million in the eyes. One good season he had. Just one.

Yes, and it was about to become even less. That's why we have Drinkwater.

If the news are to be believed Leicester were ready to sell both otherwise why would a player take leave for a day from national duty ... doesnt make any sense. The point is we didnt go after him when we easily could have. 

What is so special about Morata ... he is just a potential like the others we got, doesnt qualify as a world class player yet ... long way from that. And who said that we only want players around the 30m mark, thats ridiculous. 

And lastly let not ponder on valuations because as everyone knows the market is getting crazier ... that doesnt mean we will stop buying players just because they are over 30m. 45m-50m is the new 20-25m.  

51 minutes ago, Mana said:

He left just in case Leicester in the end does want to sell him. But we don't exactly know if Leicester did 100% want to sell Mahrez.

Morata is a well known player. Everyone knows Morata, and he came from Real Madrid. But I'll leave this for someone else who knows a lot more about Morata.

Lol, I never said that. If that's the case, then I'm stupid talking about Morata.

No...no not really. We have gotten Kante, Costa, Fabregas etc with £30m. Why should we spend more for Mahrez? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against Mahrez coming to Chelsea...he's just not worth £40m. If he was homegrown though, then yes he's probably worth that much. As I said, only ONE good season.

He left because he wanted to leave and from the looks of it he would have mentioned the same to the club. 

Being a well known player doesnt qualify been a world class player and u dont need anyone to tell that he is just a potential. FYI, Danillo came from Madrid as well. I m sure you're not counting him as a world class. 

We should pay more now on any player because we need them + the market is getting crazy with every passing season ... we need to strengthen ourselves so that we can fight for the title again plus with CL there would be more games to play. And on the ONE good season thing, Demeble went for 100m based on ONE good Season, Mendy for 45m - ONE good season, Silva - 45m ONE good season, Bakayoko -38m ONE good season, Arsenal put a bid of 92m for Lemar -ONE good season, Coutinho ... bid of 100+ - ONE & half good season, thats all i could remember. Ohh yes, Mhappe -ONE good season. 

On 01/09/2017 at 9:25 AM, coolhead23 said:

And didnt we pay 35m for Drinkwater? So r u saying that Drinkwater is a better player than Mahrez, yes different positions but quality wise Mahrez is any day better than Drinkwater.

Can't just dismiss the impact of different positions on this comparison. Different position, different skill set required, different definition of quality called for. I know for example, that you would not simply state that Mahrez is a better player than Manuel Neuer without qualifying the statement, given their different roles in the team. Well, I think the same qualification is justified between the roles played by Danny D and Mahrez.

On 01/09/2017 at 9:25 AM, coolhead23 said:

if you really want to check others, then ... Dembele went for god damn 100m is he worth even half that money ...

In the sense that no one is worth £100m, no he is not but, if Neymar is 'worth' his fee, then Dembele is easily worth his.

On 9/5/2017 at 6:16 AM, OhForAGreavsie said:

Can't just dismiss the impact of different positions on this comparison. Different position, different skill set required, different definition of quality called for. I know for example, that you would not simply state that Mahrez is a better player than Manuel Neuer without qualifying the statement, given their different roles in the team. Well, I think the same qualification is justified between the roles played by Danny D and Mahrez.

In the sense that no one is worth £100m, no he is not but, if Neymar is 'worth' his fee, then Dembele is easily worth his.

I understand different position, different skill set, etc, etc ... All I m trying to point is that Mahrez is a player who was available (thats what it seems like) and would have added quality to our squad whereas Drinkwater could just be someone who would sit on the bench & wouldnt a level up then what we already have ... thats where the comparison in terms of quality . I cant help if that message wasnt conveyed correctly with my limited English skills. 

And yes, Dembele is no way worth £100m even if Neymar is "worth" his fee. 

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You