The Conte Thread

40 minutes ago, Polo7 said:

Really dont understand why it takes upto the last week of the window when targets have been identified from months ago. 

marina thinks leicester, juventus, arsenal etc will say 'alright you can buy him at the price you want because you were persistent enough'.

13 hours ago, Special Juan said:

It's not about the replies, what it's about is the fact you would have Tucel over Conte. Conte has been brilliant here, last season we played some great football, not only that but we adapted to bad situations exactly like we did Sunday at Wembley. We set up and frustrated Spurs, that was worked on by Conte before the game because he knew the cards he had been dealt with the red cards and how Spurs play. Everyone talks of the right players to buy and go after, this manager now has turned not just a team of Mourinho mess around but players like Moses, Alonso and even rejuvenated players like Pedro.

Toughest league in the world and Conte has adapted nigh on perfectly to it with rigid tactics and at the same time getting the maximum from so called fringe players. 

Problem at this club right now isn't Antonio Conte, it's the board, their targets and the ability to get the players in quick enough so the manger can work with them.

14 hours ago, Pizy said:

What's not to like about how we've played footballer under Conte if I may ask? Do you only like tiki-taka, walk the ball in the net football?

The football under Conte is better than what we had with Mourinho but sill you won't get anywhere with this approach in the UCL or anywhere in long term. Barcelona dominate football for 10 years the same thing is now Real trying to do. Attacking football,with a quality midfield capable of controling the game and passing. Look at Barcelona,Real,Bayern,Juventus and even City we are nowhere near there level. How can anyone be happy with just winning the Premier League every second season?

11 hours ago, Chelsea4 said:

The football under Conte is better than what we had with Mourinho but sill you won't get anywhere with this approach in the UCL or anywhere in long term. Barcelona dominate football for 10 years the same thing is now Real trying to do. Attacking football,with a quality midfield capable of controling the game and passing. Look at Barcelona,Real,Bayern,Juventus and even City we are nowhere near there level. How can anyone be happy with just winning the Premier League every second season?

I am convinced you haven't seen more than 5 games for Chelsea under Conte if you still think Conte and Mourinho's style of play are any similar..

17 minutes ago, AK-3001 said:

I am convinced you haven't seen more than 5 games for Chelsea under Conte if you still think Conte and Morinho's style of play are any similar..

What is this even? Because have a different opinion you tell me i haven't watched more than 5 games of Chelsea? I'm a Chelsea fan you clown.

3 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

We won't challenge in the CL this season for one reason, the board haven't brought in enough top quality players for us to do so, that has nothing to do with Conte. Who said anything about being happy with just winning the PL? I want us to win everything, but with that, we need a squad to do so, a bench full of Kyle Scott and Boga will only get you so far, hence the board falling short right now of targets.

If you want elite football you need elite players, we have a very small amount of them, teams like Madrid are littered with them.

Some of Conte targets are the likes of Candreva and Drinkwater which is just awful.

3 minutes ago, Chelsea4 said:

Some of Conte targets are the likes of Candreva and Drinkwater which is just awful.

Nobody knows exactly who's a target of the board/Conte, so it's difficult to say on that.

Going to back to challenging and elite players it's like this for me. Willian and Pedro are brilliant squad options but what we should be aspiring to is breaking the bank for players like Ousmane Dembele so that players like Willian become a great back up. What the club are supposedly doing with the Oxelaide Chamberlain situation is upgrading on Moses and Moses then becomes a very good bench option to the Ox, the squad then becomes fatter and we can compete on more levels.

26 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Nobody knows exactly who's a target of the board/Conte, so it's difficult to say on that.

Going to back to challenging and elite players it's like this for me. Willian and Pedro are brilliant squad options but what we should be aspiring to is breaking the bank for players like Ousmane Dembele so that players like Willian become a great back up. What the club are supposedly doing with the Oxelaide Chamberlain situation is upgrading on Moses and Moses then becomes a very good bench option to the Ox, the squad then becomes fatter and we can compete on more levels.

I agree with this but you have to keep in mind that we simply are not that club anymore. We had 3 or 4 seasons maybe where we were dominant in tansfer windows,when we could buy any players except maybe Ronaldinho,Henry,Eto'o... Those times are past and now we buy one world class player like Hazard in range of 3 seasons.

Good and surprising thing about this fact is that we still win trophies,domestic one ofcourse but like you said,we can't smell europe in that way,PSG,Madrid and City will just be superior,specially when you have two games in knockaut phases...

2 minutes ago, Mana said:

City? Lol. They may have a bottomless pit of cash, but they only won 2 PLs in the last decade. They only reached 1 CL semi-final in their entire history.

City have a long way to go, before they can consider themselves juggernauts compared to Madrid, Barca...even arguably PSG. Not every world class player wants to go to City because of money. We are certainly a bigger club than City, in terms of history and trophies.

No doubt that we are bigger club than City but just look their transfer activities past 3,4 years and then compare it to ours. Manchester City and Manchester United have far more world class players than we have. I don't know why is that and I can only guess that they go to City because they feel project that is making in that club. We could argue whether is Guardiola good manager or whether is Sterling and De Bruyne better players than Willian and Pedro but the fact is that they constantly upgrade their squad,from window to window. We can't know where would for example Sterling go if Chelsea wanted him,money or better club but fact is that we don't spend anymore like before and that has to reflect somewhere specially with such a huge and strong competition we have in league,not to mention Champions league

3 hours ago, LegenTerry said:

No doubt that we are bigger club than City but just look their transfer activities past 3,4 years and then compare it to ours. Manchester City and Manchester United have far more world class players than we have.

A lot of good this has done for them, hasn't it? With both Manc clubs failing so miserably for so long now we can make a case against those so-called world class players being world class.

13 hours ago, manpe said:

A lot of good this has done for them, hasn't it? With both Manc clubs failing so miserably for so long now we can make a case against those so-called world class players being world class.

Not directly speaking to you, but maybe a few of you who have mentioned City/United and their latest transfer policies I guess. 

I think the difference at the moment is, we have always tried to be quite dynamic and pragmatic ever since we got money coming into the club. City has been quite the opposite in my opinion. They tried to be the glamour club, and they brought in the glamour manager now, who is quite deadset in his ways. Though eventually, you keep stock piling talent, it catches up to the more sensible, business like approach. United were very much like that under SAF. Things changed a bit for them, and they really have gone the City route. But they too are stock piling all this talent... There is no way, you look at the teams and say we are more talented than either one of their teams. I personally think Tottenham has a better starting 11 just as far as talent goes. Our culture and approach on the field and tactically has been a good staple for us, and allowed us to stay on top even without the talent. 

If we just gave it a bit more of a push, I think we'd be back to that level where we are consistently reaching the semis or very far in the UCL. 2 world class signings would do wonders for us, and someone like an Oxlade Chamberlain. Stuff like missing out on Sanches, Rodriguez, Aurier, etc. All could have been had for decent money, and all would make a difference. 

I definitely think there has been a change of ambitions within the board/Roman. I don't think there is that ambition to be the best club in the world anymore. Maybe somewhat understandable as we might not have as much money, but I think if we really push, we could be right there.