Michael Essien

LDN Blue

Essien can be the very best in the CM/DM role, but questions remain whether the many nagging injuries are behind him and whether they've taken a toll on his body.

Perhaps if he no longer played in the African Cups... how many times has he come back injured?

Essien can be the very best in the CM/DM role, but questions remain whether the many nagging injuries are behind him and whether they've taken a toll on his body.

Perhaps if he no longer played in the African Cups... how many times has he come back injured?

He is no longer playing for the NT.

Why do you think he would still be good in central midfield? He has lost most of the physical abilities that once made him the best central midfielder in the world.

Like I said above, his best performances for Madrid this season has been at RB, and even then he offered very little offensively because he does not have the legs to make runs up and down the flank. How do you expect him to do well in central midfield where more physical ability is required?

He was sent on loan for a reason, he was poor, not only that he needed game time to recover this was a decent move but you won't see the Essien of old again, not a chance. Before he went his passing was some of the worst I have ever seen, even worse than that of Ramires at times.

Of course Essien is staying. He has a massive contract with two more years to go. He's staying put even if he isn't part of the team.

You know what - he deserves it... The lad gave us everything he had EVERY game... that comment makes him out to be like Winston Bogarde or other money digging players....

Essien is not like that at all!

If he never plays for us again and picks up his money and leaves on a free - I'll still salute him as one of the best we have EVER seen at Chelsea.

Seriously, go back and watch some older games - the guy was a machine and scored some amazing goals for us...

Really don't understand the praise from yesterday, yeah some nice tackles but other than that his distribution was awful and lax.. I used to love Essien now he's just a shadow of himself, nothing to be ashamed of, too many injuries simply.

You know what - he deserves it... The lad gave us everything he had EVERY game... that comment makes him out to be like Winston Bogarde or other money digging players....

Essien is not like that at all!

If he never plays for us again and picks up his money and leaves on a free - I'll still salute him as one of the best we have EVER seen at Chelsea.

Seriously, go back and watch some older games - the guy was a machine and scored some amazing goals for us...

The comment wasn't meant to be disrespectful it was about his contract situation. Essien before the injuries was a fantastic player for us and was a great lad.

Truth is he has a big contract and only a club like Madrid could take him on loan and pay his wages.

The comment wasn't meant to be disrespectful it was about his contract situation. Essien before the injuries was a fantastic player for us and was a great lad.

Truth is he has a big contract and only a club like Madrid could take him on loan and pay his wages.

Cool - sorry if I misunderstood :D

Why do you think he would still be good in central midfield? He has lost most of the physical abilities that once made him the best central midfielder in the world.

Like I said above, his best performances for Madrid this season has been at RB, and even then he offered very little offensively because he does not have the legs to make runs up and down the flank. How do you expect him to do well in central midfield where more physical ability is required?

Well, that's exactly my point: I hope we've got the right people to judge whether Essien can regain some of his form back or not.

Though the fact we keep on insisting with Torres suggests we may not have such talent in our staff.

The thing is, Essien would be great to have around. He's naturally charismatic, he can be utilized to play anywhere we're short on numbers with. The problem lies with his contract, I'm sure he's one of our top earners and that was fine when he was in the 'rehabilitation' phase where he could have made 'that' comeback. Perhaps if he took a pay cut (which wouldn't happen) he would be a good squad player to have around.

I don't think he has the same qualities to be an effective central midfield player anymore, his natural football ability has seen him continue to play for Madrid when they're short (especially at right-back) and that's the only reason the club shouldn't should keep him around.

• 2 weeks later...